IGNORED

RIP DJ Rashad

Npoess

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscosity

wtf, was just looking him up to refer to a friend, and this news pops up... rip, was really starting to dig his tracks. some truly great tracks on his recent LP and subsequent EP

This made me really sad. I don´t usually get this sad when people i haven´t met pass away.

Pretty torn up about this - silly, but it feels like I lost someone I actually knew. Sad part is he was just getting started. His music meant a lot to me, my friends, and many other people around the world. Gonna put on a bunch of his stuff today and celebrate his genius.

This, I was quite upset when I found out. I had heard just about every form of music when I first heard DJ Rashad's output, I believe it was the FACT mix he did specifically, and it was one of the some of the most engrossing and exciting electronic music I had listened to. Raw, unabashed, deceivingly simple sounding.

I like footwork in general, it's too simple to declare him the best in the genre, but it is my opinion Rashad was the most consistent and forward looking. I geeked out over every release he had in the works. That's the worst part, he won't just be missed greatly, but the "what could of been" question is tremendous. His work ethic was immense, as are most of his peers, and that really makes it even more tragic.

The real kicker is watching him DJ and do his oft goofy MC lines still puts an instant smile on my face, even now in his death. The fact that his music was just so fucking fun and unrestrained is the underlining factor is popularity, especially on WATMM. I will cherish this music, and I will miss the him a lot.

A few years ago, I wasn't familiar with Juke/Footwork and pretty much dismissed it. Then I came across a download of DJ Rashad and I knew that he was something special. Changed my whole outlook and made me understand. Huge Loss.

I still can't believe it, all I can say big thank you to Mike Paradinas for Bangs & Works Vol. 1 on his label (that's how I discovered Rashad) and thank you to Tony Williams (aka Addison Groove) for mixing his tracks in his AG mixes. Rashad was always one step ahead and that's how I will remember him. The leader, pioneer and innovator of ghetto tech music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9-JMH0y9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUqf81M3b0

I (attempt to) make footwork/juke sometimes, I'd be totally down. I'm gonna let some time pass though, so it won't seem like a quick way to gain attention off of someone's death.

Ugh, this is really depressing me. I have a ton of respect/adoration for his music, and it really seemed like he was going to hit it big soon.

Yeah, I only said it because it seems like a lot of people here are really into his music. It would just be a way for people to take that energy and put it into something meaningful. I get you though. I wouldn't contribute. Only stuff of his I've heard is from your live stream mixes.

Why doesn't WATMM do a DJ Rashad RIP tribute album?

I'd be in for this, but I agree, we should wait. Maybe we plan it out now with the goal of being ready in like… 4-6 months? That's enough time for it to seem like a proper tribute rather than some bandwagon BS, I think.

Why doesn't WATMM do a DJ Rashad RIP tribute album?

I'd be in for this, but I agree, we should wait. Maybe we plan it out now with the goal of being ready in like… 4-6 months? That's enough time for it to seem like a proper tribute rather than some bandwagon BS, I think.

I doubly agree.

Archived