IGNORED

Squarepusher Interview on Wellington (NZ) Radio

Guest LoveRhino

Guest LoveRhino

Hi all. First post on the forum.

I recorded an interview with Tom Jenkinson for the jazz show I host on Radio Active, an independent radio station in Wellington, New Zealand. You can listen in live at GMT+12 11am this coming Sunday (Star Wars Day) by streaming on www.radioactive.fm or your favourite radio streaming app (it's definitely on TuneIn). I will pop back with a link to stream on mixcloud after the show and pass on 320Kbps mp3s of the interview to the moderator of Squarepusher downloads after Sunday.

Guest LoveRhino

Great stuff. I thought I'd be the only Wellingtonian on here. Hope you enjoy the show/interview.

Guest LoveRhino

weird catch! NZer here too

Yeah I agree haha. How did u manage to get squarepusher on an alternative radio station in NZ LoveRhino? Super impressed

That is a fair question. The simple answer is that I emailed his management through his website and they organised the interview via Warp. I was pretty determined but, in all fairness, it was a pretty straightforward process (surprisingly). Had he not had the new EP out, I would imagine the process may have not been as straightforward.

Guest LoveRhino

The station do not keep broadcast quality recordings but thankfully I record each show (through the in studio radio as there are no spare outs on the studio desk) but today my recorder crapped out on me during the show. I am, however, in the process of stitching it back together and will upload in the next hour or so. Once I have it up I will come back and post a link.

Thanks man, really enjoyed it. Tom is an awesome guy.. inspirational stuff. I'm glad you talked to him about his progression of musical styles.. it makes a lot more sense to me now why he has changed his style so much over the years. His advice on keeping your gear limited and learning it inside out is spot on.. something i need to work on myself haha. Cheers again dude, awesome show :beer:

Guest LoveRhino

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed the show. It was genuinely humbling to talk to him. He comes across as an incredibly interesting and interested chap who has some strong and very well thought out ideas.

thanks for posting, I don't think it can be understated how big of an achievement it is for a previously (mostly) 'electronic' musician like squarepusher being recognized like this.
I don't think any of the jazz stations or shows out where I live have even mentioned him to my knowledge.

also really loved how you went through this body of work, this is the first time i've heard something do this with his participation. great job!

woah, where is this 'live 1 with tom jenkinson and friends' track from? sounds great, sounds like someone is rocking an arp2600 older Herbie Hancock Sextant style

lol @ nichelle nichols song

Guest LoveRhino

Hey John. Thank you very much for the kind words. To be honest, I was a fan of jazz (less so than now, I guess, but a huge fan of fusion) when I first heard Squarepusher (Feed Me Weird Things) I was blown away by his bass playing as much as having my head somewhat melted (in a good way) by the insane beats. I've always thought of him as under (my interpretation - loose as that may be).

It was a genuinely humbling experience talking to him and I was blown away by how much of a nice guy he is/was during the interview.

The "Live 1" track popped up while I was researching the show. I'd never heard it before and thought it fitted. I can find no information on it whatsoever apart from the list of band members on discogs. I assume (possibly wrongly) that it was at least associated with those free jazz gigs from You Tube.

Guest LoveRhino

Thanks, bitroast. I have been meaning to join the forum for some time but life got in the way. It felt a bit weird to make my first post to plug my show but it was for a good cause (sharing the Squarepusher love). Thanks for the kind words.

Oh and glad you liked the Nichelle Nichols track by the way.

Guest bitroast

Thanks, bitroast. I have been meaning to join the forum for some time but life got in the way. It felt a bit weird to make my first post to plug my show but it was for a good cause (sharing the Squarepusher love). Thanks for the kind words.

Oh and glad you liked the Nichelle Nichols track by the way.

nah not at all. i listened to the whole 3 hour thing and really dug it.

i'm not really familiar with jazz and the likes and quite enjoyed some of the tracks played. took note of some of the tracks i was really enjoying.

(and of course, there was the squarepusher interview!)

Had a very enjoyable listen to the whole show today, top choice tracks (full of favorites of mine, but also didn't know of that live 1 track, or the Crimson Jazz Trio which I need to check out further) and great in-depth interview. I was particularly interested in the story behind Music Is Rotted One Note, since that is also one of my fave albums of his, so thanks for that!

Guest LoveRhino

Yep, phudoshin. That's me.

Thanks, Marked x One, bit roast and Herr Jan. It was a pleasure to do and broadcast and am happy to be able to share it with you all (thanks to a MixCloud).

Glad you dug the selection of misic on the show too. I'm slowly working back through the old shows up there to time stamp them. If you're a jazz fan, my previous interviews with Hayden Chisholm (Kiwi experimental saxophonist), Billy Cobham (drummer from Mahavishnu Orchestra) and Tony Buck (drummer from The Necks) are all worth a listen as they are all very interesting in their own right.

Crimson Jazz Trio are great. Cannot remember the guy's name but the drummer played on the Crimson album Islands and unfortunately passed away after the release of the second CJT album.

Archived