IGNORED

Sleaford Mods.

calx

• 9 months later...

too true Mr Wolf, too true.

unfortunately with the likes of certain "talent" shows (ie humiliation culture masked as light entertainment), sycophants such as Ed Sheeran/Sam Smith and all the 2015 pre-election/world-politics misinformation circulating and cluttering up everything, the bs in this country is starting to stack up pretty high again.

It takes someone wielding & chopping with a proverbial axe to actually let some light back in and, as an ex-Nottingham resident mesen, its good to see a local act finally getting the credit it deserves.

I think bands of yesteryear started up bands to get wasted, shag birds, take copious amounts of drugs and cause general chaos and wasn't really too bothered about the pay check, where'as nowadays it's a carefully considered career. I dunno sometmes I think I'm out of touch and maybe there is an underbelly of great bands that just for some reason don't bleep on my almost middle-aged radar lol.

I do think the Sleaford Mods have a different angle. And the usual approach of bass player, guitat player, drummer and vocalist does need reinventing. I just think it was done so well in the 90's that it was almost impossible to follow up.

That's why Thom Yorke realised Radiohead had to make Kid A, looking back he had the vision to see that the guitar strumming bands were dead in the water. Almost every guitar band I hear nowadays I can quite easily just think it has been done before and been done better. But Sleaford Mods seem to cut the mustard.

they do a lot with a drum-machine, backing-track elements and a front man.....its their lyrical honesty and stripped back sound that punch through for me.

Nottingham's like a mini failed state though. So many places in & around Market Square boarded up, huge % of jobs are service/call-center wank or public-sector. Rapid alcoholism. Desperate estates like *insert names here & certain familial clans that seem untouchable by the police etc.

Dont forget this was the city that produced Alan Sillitoe & Ray Gosling (latter Notts bred).....

If anyone has any serious interest in the provenance of these themes Anarchy Mag did a Notts-focused feature way back in 1964 (good read):

https://archive.org/stream/AnarchyNo.38#page/n1/mode/2up

they do a lot with a drum-machine, backing-track elements and a front man.....its their lyrical honesty and stripped back sound that punch through for me.

Exactly, the pistols did the same... Take that how you will...

This review sums them up better that I can... :)

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/18529/reviews/4148478

I also read somewhere their songs are like punk records without the guitar solos. And original to boot.

Oh, and hilarious at times.

aye funny as fook.....if it was all rant/bile it woont really work as coonts would lose patience (local inflections for relevance), bit like the Dead Kennedys

next to no guitar solos in most punk doe and the typical 3 chord luxuries and drums have finally been usurped by "whatever works"

aye funny as fook.....if it was all rant/bile it woont really work as coonts would lose patience (local inflections for relevance), bit like the Dead Kennedys

next to no guitar solos in most punk doe and the typical 3 chord luxuries and drums have finally been usurped by "whatever works"

Agree man, apart from their first 4 LP's, before Andrew took over the producing reins, there are plenty of lear guitar samples in there. In fact I think that's why they went down that route... You can't buy those albums anywhere, I oressune because of (a lack of) sample clearance, also the bass and drum rhythms bring J's voice more to the fore so to speak.

That's just my opinion though man.

Aye i meant guitar solos in punk generally ;)

Good luck to em and i hope they stay the course. They've struck a nerve lyrically and having lived in the city i'm just chuffed someone with an eye for the towers of stinking bs has put pen to microphone so succinctly. The city and the cuntry needs these kind of mirrors held up.

Notts used to have a fairly decent hip-hop scene,,,,, NG83 represented internationally then the likes of Out Da Ville, the Big Daddy magazine, all the way thru to the P-Brothers & even the spoof-hop of MC Pitman from just down the road.....

http://www.discogs.com/artist/44398-Out-Da-Ville

http://www.discogs.com/artist/147919-P-Brothers

Archived