IGNORED

Interstellar - Chris Nolan's new film

Rubin Farr

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're very consistent

even the date and the time almost match up

Woops! Didn't realize I expressed that sentiment twice. My bad.

If you could go through all the other threads I've posted in and look for similar discrepancies that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

dayum i walked straight in to them spoilers

Your own damn fault for coming to a thread about a movie that's been out for a couple of weeks.

hm kinda, but it would be quite decent if i had have used the

exactly

Guest trananhhung

Saw it last week and thinks it's terrible. Like really terrible. Saw it in IMAx. And it doesn't look even that good. LOVE IS THE FIFTH DIMENSION. It's like PAULO coelho in space. New age space crap. TERRIBLE B

Guest trananhhung

LOL I kept falling asleep during the daddy issues first hour and all that existential mumbo jumbo delivered by the monotonous Matthew mcamconceyaye. And then comes Michael Caine like John Hurt in Contact to give the world another chance. It's so prosaic. Theres nothing mysterious about that wormhole because the casting and dialogue is delivered in a such a rigid and cheesy way. The nice shots serve no purpose except as separators between the drama sequences.i was thinking this was going to be some near religious experience like the tree of life. But no. It's about floating around bookshelves and playing ghost tricks. That scene reminded of the much better shyamalan b thriller with the crop circles that I can't remember the name. And let's not forget Matt Damon showing up to play Matt Damon the bad guy, just to show that humanity will always be violent. That snow fight scene is ridiculous and overtop. So out of place. It's terrible guys. No nuance. No suspense. Cherry on the top? Anne next to an American flag waiting for love to come. But will that wormhole still be there? How does Mathew Macaobeuambey reaches her? He never felt in love with her. For thrills and visual awe, Gravity is years ahead this banal new age intergalactic soap opera. He does his best to recycle sci fi epics (and I mean all of them) but ends up with Paulo coelho in space. LOVE IS BOOKSHELVES IN A FIFTH DOMENSION. never forget.

Soundtrack is a pain and so loud when nothing relevant is happening. It's like throwing needles atvyour ears. Space is all about ligeti and transcendence and post serialism not cheesy emotional chords. Even the solaris remake is more transcendental than this. With a much better soundtrack. I do find it intriguing that nolans first film is one of the best films of the 00s. Memento. He's like aronofsky after requiem. Pi being nolans Following. They complete lost it.

might just use em anyway

during the scene where they surf the event horizon of the black hole, did any of you catch the LMAO-01 and LMAO-02 engines?

is it a wink to all of us who know all the science in this is a fucking joke?

or just a laugh in the face of people who stumble out saying they now understand 5d-science?

in any matter, it made me snort

there's actually a significant amount of evidence that consciousness is not tied inseperably to a living body. the commonality of experiences of people who've had their hearts stop and been resuscitated is pretty striking. out of body experiences, past life review, seeing dead loved ones.

i think nolan was hitting on something that may well be real, the fact that there could be ghosts watching us, and they could be traveling through time. your future dead self could be watching you.

some people think it's a paradox that he went back in time, but wouldnt have if he hadnt gone back in time, but i think nolan left the door open for a multiverse explanation, though it wasnt elucidated at all. basically, by going into the past you enter a different timeline, so the him that entered his past was from a different timeline, so there's a whole dimension of alternate timelines of slightly different mcconagheuys going into the past, until you reach a distance in this dimension where it's no longer even recognizably him. basically the idea is that it's inevitable that humans would reach the capability, so the courses of events refine themselves. dunno if my brain's broken. please confirm.

Saw it yester eve:

Found it pretty enjoyable except for some of the plot holes as previously described. Didn't mind the overly loud soundtrack, maybe because my hearing is shot anyway lawl?

The first half was like BOC's Tomorrows Harvest: The Movie. Second half was like a homage to 2001 - silently-spinning white spacecraft, the monolith-like robots, Matt Damon trying to blow out of an airlock into another ship, trippy scenes near end

As for the black hole stuff, they actually had a world-class astrophysicist working with them while making this (Kip Thorne) so I guess it's semi-feasible?

There were definitely things about it that I didn't like but on the whole I thought the film was pretty good. I felt like the soundtrack was a little different than the current trend of Sci-Fi Soundtracks. The visuals were pretty solid, the acting was pretty sub par but I liked all of the stuff to do with time.

Watched it last night...

Well put together as you'd expect from Nolan. Seemed to borrow bits of Event Horizon, Silent Running and 2001. I read Hawking say that if you crossed an even horizon the force of gravity would be that strong you'd be ripped apart on a molecular level - so that kept bugging me, but you know, I was willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of enjoyment.

The soundtrack reminded me of OPN actually - all those grand pipe organs.

Apparently the tidal forces can vary depending on the size of the black hole and not all of them will rip one to bits.

correct

you can be past the event horizon without spaghettification (that's the actual, scientific term lol) occurring.

Also I really enjoyed the movie and it's scientific accuracy.

Great visuals too (I read that the CGI file was 800 terabytes of data lol)

Apparently the tidal forces can vary depending on the size of the black hole and not all of them will rip one to bits.

correct

you can be past the event horizon without spaghettification (that's the actual, scientific term lol) occurring.

[youtubehd]pWJkpdXmjqY[/youtubehd]

Why would you want to colonize a planet that's anywhere close to a black hole?

Yeah I thought that was dumb. That rather pretty disc of glowing debris would surely be kicking out more than enough juicy x-rays to fuck up any orbiting planets (we know black holes do this, that's how they were first discovered!). Also I highly doubt such a disc could provide light source anywhere near uniform or reliable enough to treat it like a normal star. They only flare up based on what the black hole happens to be gobbling up at the time (if anything)

The black hole was basically a plot device to enable all the messed up time dilation. Did look pretty cool though

Why would you want to colonize a planet that's anywhere close to a black hole?

Yeah I thought that was dumb. That rather pretty disc of glowing debris would surely be kicking out more than enough juicy x-rays to fuck up any orbiting planets (we know black holes do this, that's how they were first discovered!). Also I highly doubt such a disc could provide light source anywhere near uniform or reliable enough to treat it like a normal star. They only flare up based on what the black hole happens to be gobbling up at the time (if anything)

The black hole was basically a plot device to enable all the messed up time dilation. Did look pretty cool though

The xray thing was the only thing I could find that was obviously wrong. (im not saying everything in the movie was accurate though).

Light can escape a black hole, just not once it's past the event horizon.

Archived