IGNORED

World Cup 2014

Yeah yeah, the CL isn't finished yet. But fuck it, Madrid is gonna win it anyways ;)

Any thoughts on the upcoming fiasco in Brazil? Will the Brazilian ladyboys distract the other teams long enough for Brazil to nip through? Will America make it out of the group stages? (no) Will Spain make it four major tourneys in a row?

Some kind of fun (not always funny, but at least they're not taking themselves seriously either) analysis here:

http://grantland.com/world-cup-2014-men-in-blazers/

What say you all?

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest transmisiones ferox

I wanna see again the drama then Germany lose their most important match somewhere in semifinals, most of the my friends gone mental last World Cup

This world cup will be won by a "dark horse", the pressure will crush Brasil, Spain are pretty mechanical these days and Argentina has a shitty defense, they will be found out in the quarter finals/semi finals. I can see someone like Italy or Belgium winning it by having a pretty easy knockout stage (i havent look at the possible match ups so i dont know)

that being said i want a Brasil / Argentina final

Europeans don't win in S America and S Americans don't win in Europe.

Until last one it was Europeans don't win outside Europe (check Mexico 70 and 86, USA 1994, Korea/Japan 2002), the situation changed drastically as South Americans are more used to Europe than home soil.

The Belgian team has so much talent. They also have a piss-easy group.

Having said that, Uruguay is my dark horse, they make it out of their group along with Italy, leaving England to piss and moan again.

France has the easiest group, but I can't see them going much of anywhere after that.

For some fucking hilarious (unintentionally) analysis:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2068880-world-cup-groups-2014-examining-overrated-and-underrated-pairings

Guest transmisiones ferox

Uruguay is ugly team, I can't stand them after they did with Ghana, hope they lose all their matches

The Belgian team has so much talent. They also have a piss-easy group.

Having said that, Uruguay is my dark horse, they make it out of their group along with Italy, leaving England to piss and moan again.

France has the easiest group, but I can't see them going much of anywhere after that.

For some fucking hilarious (unintentionally) analysis:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2068880-world-cup-groups-2014-examining-overrated-and-underrated-pairings

Suarez injured, out for 4-6 weeks, there goes uruguay chances

Guest Ron Manager

i think it's Brazil's. home advantage, used to the climate, strong squad. would love to see Belgium do well, but i feel like they might turn out to be like England circa 1998-2010 - underperformers.

hard to pick a potential dark horse to make the semis. maybe Bosnia? should make it out of their group, and after that, you never know. Croatia usually show up on the big stage, and if they sprung a surprise draw in their first match against Brazil, that could propel them to the QF or SF.

Italy isn't about unimpressive fashion anymore, at least under Prandelli, they just don't play like that at all, see Euro final.

Belgium gonna seriously fail, roster isn't everything, mediocre unexperienced coach (belgian Shearer) and unbalanced team.

Dark Horse is team like Russia, they have fucking Fabio Capello, this man just don't easily lose two WC in a row, beat Portugal in Q. There you talk about unimpressive fashion.

Ah didn't know about suarez out (though they're saying 15 days recovery? and typical calm reaction from urguyan fans). bet they still beat England though, they still have Cavani and Forlan (who's probably still up for it, despite playing in the J-league) up front, and they have a strong defense as well. I don't think they'll win, but they'll make more than a few people cry.

Belgium probably not - too young after all, maybe they peak for next euros/world cup.

Russia - no. Capello or not (plus he's never won anything on the international stage, so what does him losing last WC mean?)

Portugal does well this world cup i think, but not winners.

Spain also no, I think teams have figured out how to beat them, plus their defense is suspect and casillas is not quite as good as he once was.

Brazil quite possibly, I honestly don't know enough about their team play to see how they'll do. Talent wise, they are phenomenal throughout the squad (maybe a little weak in midfield, and only one strong GK).

Argentina could also possibly go all the way, but again suspect defensively.

so i made the whole thing again because i fucked up group C

now i have a france/colombia (colombia beating brasil in the quarter finals) - argentina/spain semifinal

Colombia - Argentina Final!

Russia - no. Capello or not (plus he's never won anything on the international stage, so what does him losing last WC mean?)

I wrote don't easily lose. Maybe you're not very familiar with Capello, but he's an ultimate iron-willed winner type. He had only one shot at international, with damned England (that's why he took that shot), so never won anything isn't accurate description of his talents. Only man equal to him who's currently on international level is van Gaal.

I'm plenty familiar with Capello, and his record is very impressive, hell he even made England look half-decent (and I'm an England fan through and through). But the international game is very different from the club game, and the side he has to work with means his iron-will doesn't make a difference. Russia loses in the second round to either Germany or Portugal.

I think Portugal plays well this World Cup actually. Good experienced side, decent manager in Bento.

Still going with Brazil, but I think Germany and Portugal can make it interesting, along with Italy, and Argentina. Uruguay if Suarez is fit.

Anyhow I'm excited for this world cup, I don't think it will be boring :)

I'm plenty familiar with Capello, and his record is very impressive, hell he even made England look half-decent (and I'm an England fan through and through). But the international game is very different from the club game, and the side he has to work with means his iron-will doesn't make a difference. Russia loses in the second round to either Germany or Portugal.

I agree that it's different in the sense that they have much less influence on the game. WC isn't about greatest coaches. The cost of an error is enormous, yet you can't prepare for them coming. That's why i say nothing of van Gaal as a potential surprise, because of his preferred style of play. I secretly believe in it, though. Like in Bielsa's Chile at previous WC.

Capello is just the best one to realise that age old Italian model he couldn't use with England. I saw Russia's games with Portugal, he totally reformed previous Dutch style into Italian in a very short period and very impressingly did so. They can beat anyone with that model. 50/50 against Portugal, 30/70 against Germany.

I would love the dutch to win, but I don't think they have the team chemistry. They just dont like each other very much lol.

I agree that Capello is a fantastic manager, I just don't think Russia has the players to be competitive. I think they make it out of the group but just barely, South Korea will give them a tough game.

Archived