IGNORED

Aphex Twin, LSD, THC and psilocybin

MassfreeKid

It seems to never be seriously discussed, but Aphex has most probably composed tons of music under the influence of psychedelics and perhaps still does, who knows. Most of his pre-drukqs music is very psychedelics-friendly, according to many online psychonauts. He has talked here and there about his personal experience with psychedelics, and so did Luke and Squarepusher. To which degree do you think that psychedelics were influential in the invention of Braindance? Aren't psychedelics braindancing tools?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Snazzell

I think composing music on drugs or whatever is not using your full potential and is kinda poser-ish. I mean, think about it, you're using a substance to boost ideas and emotions rather than getting them originally.

Idk if he does, but if he does, I will be dissapointed.

Sorry, hate on me all you want, it's what I think.

Pretty sure in interviews he's said he does take psychedelics but doesn't compose while under the influence of them. Apparantly the Expert Knob Twiddlers album with Mike P may have been composed while taking LSD. The result isn't very good.

And ye, what peteisfat said. Peeps tryna find reasons for RDJ being such a boss. Some think its the gear, others drugs. m8 its all his brain

I think composing music on drugs or whatever is not using your full potential and is kinda poser-ish. I mean, think about it, you're using a substance to boost ideas and emotions rather than getting them originally.

Go listen to Mumford & Sons if you wanna listen to music made by puritans.

Guest Snazzell

Pretty sure in interviews he's said he does take psychedelics but doesn't compose while under the influence of them. Apparantly the Expert Knob Twiddlers album with Mike P may have been composed while taking LSD. The result isn't very good.

And ye, what peteisfat said. Peeps tryna find reasons for RDJ being such a boss. Some think its the gear, others drugs. m8 its all his brain

Yeah how do you even compose a track while under the influence?

Guest totemcrackerjack

EKT was loads of silly fun, I had a blast listening to it.

there is an old interview floating around from the era of his American post RDJ album live shows where he says his favorite drugs to do are hash and alcohol in combination. I think he's talked about how much he likes Ketamine nowadays or something to that effect in a Spanish only interview.

He most likely uses uppers like high doses of caffeine (confirmed), cocaine, prescription amphetamines (semi-confirmed), nootropics and/or smart drugs. Also, he probably composes quite a bit while stoned (semi-confirmed).

Go listen to Mumford & Sons if you wanna listen to music made by puritans.

lol straight up..

also snazzell it's not like you just drop a tab of acid and then you're fucking mozart. It's a catalyst to self exploration, if the result is that this individual is more creative than so be it that's amazing, it's not like the drugs make the music.

lol

I remember reading that he said he's composed while knackered and it was mostly garbage. I'd imagine if he was using these substances, they are when he's listening back to his tunes or his mates tunes.

I have certainly enjoyed his music while on these substances, but I don't think these chemicals have a direct correlation to the how and why of his music.

Counter-Perspective: Drugs are mainly the trigger to access something that was inside your head in the first place, why waste time trying to get it by using whatever meticulous method when taking a substance offers you a shortcut to exactly where you want to go?

Not saying either one of those views is correct or anything, just pointing that out ... undecided.

But hey I'm actually on drugs currently so what do I know lol.

I remember reading that he said he's composed while knackered and it was mostly garbage

yeah I recall that too from somewhere ...

Yeah how do you even compose a track while under the influence?

have you ever even been far as decided to use even go want to do more look like?

it's not hard

He most likely uses uppers like high doses of caffeine (confirmed), cocaine, prescription amphetamines (semi-confirmed), nootropics and/or smart drugs. Also, he probably composes quite a bit while stoned (semi-confirmed).

Your nuts!

I've tried composing on weed a few times, I find that my perception that "Everything is so fucking delicious right now" most of the time means my taste level goes way down, I listen the next day and it really lacks melody or a whole frequency band is gone, or i've basically made a mix with a smiley face EQ or whatever because I was too overwhelmed by smaller details which the normal person just wouldn't listen for.

On the other hand it's an amazing tool to just listen back to already mixed ideas with a drug induced perspective, but I find every project I have called "stoned mix" just makes me go "Wtf was I thinking?"

I think as a music producer/engineer you should aim to kind of mimic your audience to get as similar perspective on music, so it depends on how many people listen to your music while high, reggae and progressive rock almost demand a little bit of weed while working. That's my two cents.

i like to write tunes after ive been out taking mandy all night, truely it increases my creativity tenfold, and my workflow speeds up aswell.

It seems to never be seriously discussed, but Aphex has most probably composed tons of music under the influence of psychedelics and perhaps still does, who knows. Most of his pre-drukqs music is very psychedelics-friendly, according to many online psychonauts. He has talked here and there about his personal experience with psychedelics, and so did Luke and Squarepusher. To which degree do you think that psychedelics were influential in the invention of Braindance? Aren't psychedelics braindancing tools?

rob and sean said they were influenced by psychedelics but it is impossible 2 create good music while under the influence the memory is enough.

HAB and Drukqs are one of the most intense albums on shrooms i heard and it sounds like he locked himself in the studio for month's tripping his nutsack off and fighting his demons but i don't think he made the music under the influence

Archived