IGNORED

Aphex Twin, LSD, THC and psilocybin

MassfreeKid

i dont see how its impossible to make music on acid, thats bullshit.

making music on acid is cool as shit. the only problem you have to overcome is focus, you end up having to much fun just making weird noises.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or i've basically made a mix with a smiley face EQ

lol

"to become a good producer, u just gotta draw faces in the midi notes, thats all u gotta do, thats all i do, i just draw faces!" -@DWolfers

He most likely uses uppers like high doses of caffeine (confirmed), cocaine, prescription amphetamines (semi-confirmed), nootropics and/or smart drugs. Also, he probably composes quite a bit while stoned (semi-confirmed).

(semi-)confirmed where?

sure it's possible but electronic music is something else, i mean you can't even read the stuff on your pc anymore if you are tripping

how can you even program something decent?

well, tripping doesnt do that to me. i can still read and function when i hit acid. obviously if you are triple dropping or something you might struggle, but acid doesnt turn me into an idiot, it just makes everything look and sound incredibly beautiful.

i never took acid before, the long duration scares me but on shrooms i'm unable 2 read for like 4hours or get a grip on time, i don't think it's possible 2 make a masterpiece when you are a drugged out looney on shrooms

I think composing music on drugs or whatever is not using your full potential and is kinda poser-ish. I mean, think about it, you're using a substance to boost ideas and emotions rather than getting them originally.

Idk if he does, but if he does, I will be dissapointed.

Sorry, hate on me all you want, it's what I think.

Go listen to Mumford & Sons if you wanna listen to music made by puritans.

well yes, or listen to the Melvins - Buzz doesn't even drink

Maybe what you're picking up on is how imaginative Aphex's music is - in a very particular surreal and also sort of tactile way - that ability to access his imagination might have been helped by drugs, but I think we can all agree that he's basically a natural too in some way

I think there are things that are very druggy, the textures, the sedated feeling sometimes, the detachedness, the imagery, the sometimes synthetic emotions, the creeping thin sounds... but maybe drugs just help you access something that is already there

there goes adieu talkin about how great heroin is again... :facepalm: dude that shit devours souls, that's what it does. maybe it feels great but opium caused the downfall of the chinese empire multiple times. there are rooms full of people who get together to support each other to not do that shit again even though when they did it caused them to demolish their lives and relationships, and everyone they used to run with is either dead or in jail. you can find these rooms any night in any city and many towns.

while i'm at it i will say that heroin addicts will do Oxycontin as a substitute

i get more from discomfort. i used to smoke weed all the time for the comfort, but discomfort is the fuel that drives me to make things, solve problems, figure things out, etc. maybe my stupor was a useful cocoon in some way but it was stupid too.

I bet he always smokes a phat 420 blunt when making tracks so that his drums and melodies get that crazy mind blowing edge to them. you can only get that through the herb aka. the plant of enlightenment.

Guest pafr

I've only found psychedelics being helpful in making music. It heightens your sensory perception, more sensitive. I'm able to feel the music more on acid, plus more synesthesia. Focus is hard on acid. I like making ambient music on acid because it's more about the texture of the sound. Autechre and BoC are very good for acid trips because of their colourful sound texture.

i dont see how its impossible to make music on acid, thats bullshit.

making music on acid is cool as shit. the only problem you have to overcome is focus, you end up having to much fun just making weird noises.

oh yes....

Mushrooms can make you feel the whole spectrum of human emotion with closed eye visuals while you feel like a tree burning in a huge forest fire that grows again when teardrops from the sky sent from your ancestors are cried upon you, making you grow again even stronger. Then the next day you will feel like you survived WWII and you realize humans don't have the ability to create words that describe the sensations of a psychedelic experience because it is pretty sublime. You can even hear incredibly intricate melodic music in your head during the trip, but there's a big difference between that and the actual nuts and bolts of creating music in real time. It'll just help you think outside the box a little.

But it's easy to see why it had such a big impact on culture in the late 1960s

People seem to forget that you need the skills to translate what you experience in a psychedelic trip into music, to me its irrelevant if he does drugs or not, the only relevant thing is that he is able to translate human emotion and drug experiences into good music.

Maybe the OP (and others here) is trying to justify his own drug use by attributing drug use to someone he admires, but remember no amount of LSD will give you the skills to make music.

god, who cares? most everyone who makes music on this forum smokes weed/probably does acid, doesn't make RDJ any more special. i also know that taking a regular dose of LSD would prevent you from being able to do any serious meticulous programming that most of his songs require.

or i've basically made a mix with a smiley face EQ

lol

"to become a good producer, u just gotta draw faces in the midi notes, thats all u gotta do, thats all i do, i just draw faces!" -@DWolfers

He most likely uses uppers like high doses of caffeine (confirmed), cocaine, prescription amphetamines (semi-confirmed), nootropics and/or smart drugs. Also, he probably composes quite a bit while stoned (semi-confirmed).

(semi-)confirmed where?

In one interview he states that he sometimes makes a cup of coffee using 20x the normal required coffee and then composes. In another interview the title of the release "GAK" is discussed and it is hinted at that GAK is used during the composing process. GAK is methamphetamine. I imagine if he is interested in stimulants of that nature then he probably moved onto the prescription forms as they are safer and less powerful. I only assume he might use smart drugs because they are somewhat benign but their benefits can easily be felt. Modafinil being the best of these drugs imo. In another interview he states "i'm basically stoned all of the time". one can only assume if this is true that he spend a lot of time making music while stoned.

Let's get his doctor on the phone. I gotta get to the bottom of this fiasco. Just WHICH DRUGS R HE TAKEN. I GOTTA KNOW SO I CAN TAKE THEM AND BE LIKE THE APHEX TWIN

well, tripping doesnt do that to me. i can still read and function when i hit acid. obviously if you are triple dropping or something you might struggle, but acid doesnt turn me into an idiot, it just makes everything look and sound incredibly beautiful.

That's kind of the problem with producing while tripping face though, you wake up in the morning to a track that's just a single piano note every 3 minutes because the 'cid filled in the blanks with amazing sounding delay/reverb/demon voices.

Apparantly the Expert Knob Twiddlers album with Mike P may have been composed while taking LSD. The result isn't very good.

That's just like your opinion, man.

I remember reading that he said he's composed while knackered and it was mostly garbage. I'd imagine if he was using these substances, they are when he's listening back to his tunes or his mates tunes.

This.

Guest Snazzell

I think composing music on drugs or whatever is not using your full potential and is kinda poser-ish. I mean, think about it, you're using a substance to boost ideas and emotions rather than getting them originally.

Counter-Perspective: Drugs are mainly the trigger to access something that was inside your head in the first place, why waste time trying to get it by using whatever meticulous method when taking a substance offers you a shortcut to exactly where you want to go?

Not saying either one of those views is correct or anything, just pointing that out ... undecided.

But hey I'm actually on drugs currently so what do I know

Lol this is what I hate, people who think they can unlock creativity through drugs or things like sensory deprivation tanks or whatever. Your creativity is all on your sober mindset and unfortunately, some people are less or more creative than others, just how it is. All it gives is an illusion of creativity because when your high you think everything is complexed.

Counter-Perspective: Drugs are mainly the trigger to access something that was inside your head in the first place, why waste time trying to get it by using whatever meticulous method when taking a substance offers you a shortcut to exactly where you want to go?

Not saying either one of those views is correct or anything, just pointing that out ... undecided.

But hey I'm actually on drugs currently so what do I know

Lol this is what I hate, people who think they can unlock creativity through drugs or things like sensory deprivation tanks or whatever. Your creativity is all on your sober mindset and unfortunately, some people are less or more creative than others, just how it is. All it gives is an illusion of creativity because when your high you think everything is complexed.

That's your (in)experience.

Nor was Drukqs made on drugs. "It's got nothing to do with it," he says. "It's just a word I made up." There are other made-up words used as song titles on Drukqs, such as jynweythek and bbydhyonchord, none of which are the result of experiments with hallucinogens. "I never wanted to big up any drugs, because I don't reckon they deserve it. It's just something that you choose to do. I probably come across as, like, 'Yeah, acid and weed are amazing.' But I don't think that at all, really. And if I did, I wouldn't want to say it in an interview. Plus, I'm never under the influence of drugs when I make music. Whenever I have been, it's always been totally rubbish. It's a real disciplined thing, making music. When you're tripping, you're just fucked. You could never get it together to make a track. When I'm stoned, I go to bed."

Jah, mang. Psychedelics are good for expression in general; not to express whilst trippin' ballz necessarily but cuz they're able to help open up deeper aspects of the self, to the self. And by knowing oneself more sincerely, one is able to express more sincerely.

And as others have stated: yaaah- any drug cannot make one into something they are not. Drugs can only reveal and amplify aspects-- psychedelics are able to reveal the self, as well as show truth by removal of bullshit learnt filters/rules. But it's not like tripping on a sheet of acid will make one into an IDM Superstar.

Actually, tripping on a sheet of acid might make one into an IDM Superstar.

Sorry, hate on me all you want, it's what I think.

Go listen to Mumford & Sons if you wanna listen to music made by puritans.

Yeah, go and rim a sheep Mumfords.

Archived