IGNORED

Can we talk about Amber?

Lost in Amber

Amber has been number one of my best albums list since its release (you'll have to take into account the size and selection of my record collection to understand why this is a big deal for me). I have a metric ton of personal memories and experiences tied to the album and whenever I listen to it, I'm usually unable to do anything else except listen.

*cringe*

Amber was my entry point to ae, and I'd still have it in my top 3 (marginally over Chiastic Slide, and behind Untilted & Confield).

I still regularly play the Nine-Further-Yulquen sequence, it's a great chill sequence just after a work out. When you add on Piezo & Nil around that, it's surely one of the best sequences in their discography. Amber has a great 1-2 opening as well, but we kind of expect that from them.

The only notable issue I have with Amber is that I never was convinced by Teartear. To me, it is a try hard, darker closer. On other ae albums, that sort of track is fine, but it sticks out like a sore thumb on Amber. Okay track in its own right, but in the context of Amber I don't like it's inclusion a great deal. I usually stop the album about half way through Teartear.

• 3 weeks later...

CASTING THREAD RESURRECTION SPELL

Amber is actually the only Autechre album I'm not really sold on. Sounds a bit redundant after Incunabila, and the tracks on the Garbage EP are more interesting imo, ironically. That said, there have been albums I've started off not liking and ended up becoming a massive fan of, so who knows.

• 4 years later...

Amber was my entry point to ae, and I'd still have it in my top 3 (marginally over Chiastic Slide, and behind Untilted & Confield).

I still regularly play the Nine-Further-Yulquen sequence, it's a great chill sequence just after a work out. When you add on Piezo & Nil around that, it's surely one of the best sequences in their discography. Amber has a great 1-2 opening as well, but we kind of expect that from them.

The only notable issue I have with Amber is that I never was convinced by Teartear. To me, it is a try hard, darker closer. On other ae albums, that sort of track is fine, but it sticks out like a sore thumb on Amber. Okay track in its own right, but in the context of Amber I don't like it's inclusion a great deal. I usually stop the album about half way through Teartear.

After 12 years of maligning, I'm fiiiiiinally coming around to Teartear. Soz.

Still listen to Amber on a regular basis, among my most played from them. Further was the first 10+ minute track to record 100 plays on my iTunes.

Edited by Roo

Digging Yulquen but I think in general Amber hasn't aged that well, very mid-'90s Warp sound. Might be a good thing also fwiw. For me Amber and Incunabula are probably too loaded with memories to listen to them without recalling them and affecting my judgment.

Chiastic Slide is kind of the turning point for me when Autechre starts to feel "timeless".

Digging Yulquen but I think in general Amber hasn't aged that well, very mid-'90s Warp sound. Might be a good thing also fwiw. For me Amber and Incunabula are probably too loaded with memories to listen to them without recalling them and affecting my judgment.

Chiastic Slide is kind of the turning point for me when Autechre starts to feel "timeless".

Agree. I've worn Amber so thin now that Yulquen is the only track left with any life in it for me.

The second half is still pretty fucking great imo. Particularly Piezo and Yulquen. Overall Incunabula wins tho (everything from Tri Rep up is another era entirely in my book).

I think Incunabula is weak too. I can only listen to Kalpol Introl, Bike, and Lowride anymore. Even then it's about 2 or 3 times a year, at the end of winter.

Now, Legofeet? That's still the shit.

I could veer into a ramble here (on jamminess, timelessness, and reissues) but I'll refrain for the moment.

I think Incunabula is weak too. I can only listen to Kalpol Introl, Bike, and Lowride anymore. Even then it's about 2 or 3 times a year, at the end of winter.

Doctrine tho?

Lego Feet is indeed still the shit.

Doctrine tho?

Yeah sorry. I'm sure it's not Doctrine, it's me.

I need to find my Legofeet digitals... hot damn that sounds tasty today.

Yeah. I guess its more stripped down and less sentimental nature makes for a comparatively good aging.

Edit: 444 tho... i mean c'mon!

Edited by jaderpansen
  • Like 1

Edit: 444 tho... i mean c'mon!

Newp. In fact that's my least favorite track on there. It sounds like a reject from Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (which I also don't care for)

Friendly reminder that you are talking to WATMM's most biggest Oversteps-hater and Quaristice-lover... my tastes are by no means representative of AE fandom.

• Like 1