IGNORED

"I’ve done other tracks for commercial things but no one has ever worked them out"

FinePrimitiveSounds

Guest Akiak

Richard's the one behind the "autoglass repair, autoglass replace" jingle.

wait you guys have that in britain too? lol

Safelite, Carglass, and Autoglass all use the same jingle (*brand name* repair, *brand name* replace!) in various countries. They're all owned by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belron

I had no idea. it sounds really awkward in italian in any case.

He strikes me as the kind of fellow who would happily secretly break contract to slip some music out for a brown envelope of cash or create a completely unnoticed pseudonym that breaks so far out of the AFX aesthetic that no one guesses, noticed, or would believe.

So just to play devils advocate, even if it really is him, then that doesn't mean you will ever find out

• 2 weeks later...

Richard has done commercial work? I never noticed, and I'm clearly nobody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbedgPmxuU

who are you. you`re definitely somebody.

maybe you're jack or bill or bob. but it's impossible to be nobody.

How would a mannequin even access watmm?

Just before the London Olympics began, there was a documentary on Channel 4 about the history of the Para Olympics. A track came on which sounded very, very, very much like unreleased Aphex. It was fucking awesome. I was going to mention it on watmm but in the end couldn't be arsed as it could of just been a figment of active imagination. It had the same vibe as Manchester/Metz which convinces me even more.

Really curious about this, tried finding a link but it won't play in the US.

I was high, listening to the most recent Grimes LP and it pretty much sounds like Aphex produced the whole thing.

I think he's her main influence. She self produces everything and tells anyone who wants to produce for her to fuck off.

Hah, totally. She does the artwork, delves in fashion unapologetically. Everything. Unique voice too. She's mentioned having very unpretentious influences among artists like Aphex Twin (TLC, Enya, Marilyn Manson, K-pop, industrial rock). Real blender of timbres and samples actually. Too many of her peers dive way into fads or trends in retro sounds or way too slick production.

Without really going out of her way she's not been hesitant to call bullshit on perpetual assumptions and condescending questions in interviews, such as having Bjork or Kate Bush as influences or having producers do her music. She's really admirable in that regard.

The Genesis track has a vibe that's on par with the best AFX naivete, I think.

On vibes on this one:

Guest iniquity blues

i always loved how the old classics cut/outtake was paired up with words talking about "the most torturous conditions"

So when you're talking about torturous conditions you play old AFX? Sounds about right. i will always remember the time a once-good friend decided to tell me that some intellgentsia person declared aphex to be "limited" because he's "musical sandpaper" and he brooded over me with a smile like i had just been [X] TOLD.

He'd go pretty gay for me about ~6-7yrs later. True story, talking heads fans!

Aphex Twin is the inspiration for all that is in the R'n'B since the late 90s...

:trollface:

and... OMG!

from wikipedia :

Influence and legacy

The London Sinfonietta has performed arrangements of Aphex Twin songs. In 2005 Alarm Will Sound released Acoustica: Alarm Will Sound Performs Aphex Twin, acoustic arrangements of James' electronic tracks. Although he has influenced Radiohead, he does not wish to tour with them: "I wouldn't play with them since I don't like them."

However, James premièred new music with Radiohead guitarist-composer Jonny Greenwood in a 2011 collaboration with Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki. Animator David Firth has much of his work soundtracked by Aphex Twin.

Thomas Bangalter of Daft Punk has cited Aphex Twin (particularly "Windowlicker") as an influence. Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante said that Aphex Twin is "the best thing since sliced bread", and his Outsides EP and PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone are examples of James' influence.

In June 2014, Patrick Gräser (Answer Code Request) called James "one producer who always inspires" him in the "Influences" section of the Ransom Note website. Gräser used the Aphex Twin song "Analogue Bubblebath 1" to exemplify James' influence: "I guess being obsessed with your own music is what makes him that brilliant."

In June 2014, Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit stated "Cliffs" off of Selected Ambient Works II is the song he would listen to for the rest of his life - if he had to pick one.

but it lacks a lot of things on his own!

:spiteful:

He strikes me as the kind of fellow who would happily secretly break contract to slip some music out for a brown envelope of cash or create a completely unnoticed pseudonym that breaks so far out of the AFX aesthetic that no one guesses, noticed, or would believe.

So just to play devils advocate, even if it really is him, then that doesn't mean you will ever find out

DJ Hi-tek

There was some old anti-drug commercial clip that used "4" as background music in the late-90's early 2000's... here, found it!

DJ Hi-tek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSzYnQP-WU

There was some old anti-drug commercial clip that used "4" as background music in the late-90's early 2000's... here, found it!

oh the irony

Probably why he did it. For the lels

Archived