IGNORED

Venetian Snares preorder bonus disc

delet...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just waiting to see about triachus' .wavs.

Sup

Soil & Fences:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceojkia0ej79324/Venetian%20Snares%20-%20no%20title%20-%2001%20-%20Soil%20%26%20Fences.wav

Lions Manor (Vox):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnxlb2miyndxcly/Venetian%20Snares%20-%20no%20title%20-%2002%20-%20Lions%20Manor%20%28Vox%29.wav

Guest Miblo

Awesome! Cheers, chaps.

So are we definitely sure we've completed 'Lions Manor'? That wild theory of mixing all 22 stems dupes and all, naturally to get the right balance is a red herring? Without official confirmation I'm a little doubtful. The normalised mix (not in the Dropbox, which is simply the four stems mixed with sox's -m flag) still sounds kind of insubstantial compared to the pro-mastered digitals of the LP. Also, c-moll on last.fm uploaded some spectrograms and waveforms of the stems which show that CupOfSquirrels' and my bass parts are not identical. Anyone able to tell if these differences are probably just due to different CD-drives and ripping software rather than different source material?

I'm using abcde because I couldn't get morituri configured properly, although I believe they both use libparanoia for the actual ripping.

mixed everything in REAPER at 0dB + limiter on the master track, no big deal.. sounds fiiiine. you have Ardour on Linux, it's pretty good. maybe even REAPER builds for Linux that work? Haven't followed it in a while.

curious about 'Beacon' as it is titled 'Beacon 1' in the dropbox folder.. is that on the cover of the disc too?

Here is a photo for conclusivity. Fun Fact: at first, I thought the track was called 'Bacon'. (It's in a jewel case as I didn't want to damage it in the plastic wallet)

photo(1).JPG

But this is making me wonder: am I the only person with the Beacon CD? No-one else? Are there variations of this disc too or just the others, like the multiple Particles of Dust + Soils etc?

Guest MusicMan02

Anyone able to tell if these differences are probably just due to different CD-drives and ripping software rather than different source material?

As far as I know, the only way to guarantee that we are all getting the same files (if that's even possible) would be for us to all use the same ripping program, set up correctly. I use what most people in the "inner circles" of online music communities would consider EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

When set up properly, to work uniquely with one's CD drive, it produces the most systematic rips I've seen. It also has a built in WAV fingerprint detector, to compare WAV files bit-for-bit, and prints out a log file of the ripping results, to easily check if there were any errors. If anyone would like to try their hand, the software is free, and the guide to properly setting it up for your CD drive can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1318909/WATMM/EAC_guide.png

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

my copy just arrived and I got heaves heavy heart & Lions Manor

Heaves Heavy Heart starts w/ some nylon string guitar similar to the Union Station track...

Lions Manor starts with violin/cello samples etc

then some jazzy samples w/ modular sounds sax and other sounds heavily drenched reverb

I will figure our a way to rip them unless someone has uploaded the same disc already

Maybe you should upload in case there are differences between mine and yours, even though it seems like we have the same.

My copy arrived today with the tracks "Away Away / Lions Manor". Someone has already posted the track for Lions Manor that I have. The "Away Away" track hasn't... I bumped my subscription to Knob Twiddler and will upload Away Away once I figure out how it works.

Guest Mark808

Here is a photo for conclusivity. Fun Fact: at first, I thought the track was called 'Bacon'. (It's in a jewel case as I didn't want to damage it in the plastic wallet)

photo(1).JPG

But this is making me wonder: am I the only person with the Beacon CD? No-one else? Are there variations of this disc too or just the others, like the multiple Particles of Dust + Soils etc?

Guest Mark808

Hi

No, I've seen someone on another forum that had Beacon too. I thought I was the only one with Away, away but seems like there are 3 of us now. My version of Lions Manor differs to tornfarbens, which doesn't come as a surprise now we know we have all 4 parts. Wonder what the missing pieces are to track 1? Seems like we might have all the parts now. Initially I thought they were all separate but the fact that some of them seem to be similar in length would suggest they may go together?

Guest tonfarben

My copy arrived today with the tracks "Away Away / Lions Manor". Someone has already posted the track for Lions Manor that I have. The "Away Away" track hasn't... I bumped my subscription to Knob Twiddler and will upload Away Away once I figure out how it works.

So you are saying your Away Away track is different from mine? Interesting, I thought all the first tracks are the same when they have the same name.

Seems to me we have a 4 track song that has been completed and some extra bonus tracks. That is all. I don't think the other tracks go together, I don't see any noticeable difference between the lions manor tracks. I'm enjoying this extra EP. Maybe Vsnares didn't count on all of us WATMMers buying the CD direct from MU. I love this album. The bonus tracks are cool as well.

If there are 22 discs, we're missing a lot of pieces. And without all the pieces, it's hard to say what's to go together and what is needless. Hard to complete a jigsaw without all the parts.

Oh man now we're being taunted. If we were BoC fans we'd have cracked this by now.

If this thing was done by BOC, by now people would sit in a circle around a bonfire, awestruck and agog, telling themselves how astoundingly genius and spiritually deep this puzzle is

Someone would have printed out all the raw data of the tracks and recite all the patterns that occur, as they all hold hands and cry from the sheer beauty of it

the BoC fans had a marketing department dropping hints at regular intervals, the whole exercise was the illusion of a journey. imO. A well thought out and intresting illusion, but still. Our problem is that we just need more numbers in this thread, so we can tick off the list of things.

Oh man now we're being taunted. If we were BoC fans we'd have cracked this by now.

If this thing was done by BOC, by now people would sit in a circle around a bonfire, awestruck and agog, telling themselves how astoundingly genius and spiritually deep this puzzle is

Someone would have printed out all the raw data of the tracks and recite all the patterns that occur, as they all hold hands and cry from the sheer beauty of it

ah numberwang lol. My biggest curiosity is how much time people spent on it. Just thinking about how people 'worship' your music makes my brain orgasm, better than all of the money you can make from music.

Releasing track parts as album is a pretty cool idea. I'll try it out. Seems like Aaron released all the track parts as same length, which I'd assume you just superimpose on top of each other. wav format is more accessible, but if I were to do the same. I'd probably release parts in small chunks, then there is diagram or puzzle on the album art on how to assemble different parts differently to create different sounding tracks, basically music album in lego form. Might as well stick to wav format, or I can probably just make a responsive website out of it.

PS: I actually don't like Aaron Funk's music that much. It's cool, but all of his music sound the same.

Archived