IGNORED

IDM dudes please rate Radiohead albums

beerwolf

Kid A

OK Computer

Amnesiac

In Rainbows

Hail to the Thief

Only radiohead albums I've listened to. Really enjoy Hail to the Thief because i listened to it a lot when i got into smoking weed years ago. Sail to the Moon brings back great memories

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently I like "electronic" Radiohead better than their more guitar-based incarnation, but they're a decent band.

Amnesiac changed my life. It's not their best but it's my favorite by far.

In Rainbows (grew on me a lot)

Kid A

OK Computer

^(practically a tie)

Hail To The Thief

Hardly listen to:

King of Limbs

The Bends

Pablo Honey

Also TKOL Remixes & Thom Yorke's Eraser > King of Limbs and Atoms For Peace (which I need to give another good listen of tbh)

Amnesiac changed my life. It's not their best but it's my favorite by far.

In Rainbows (grew on me a lot)

Kid A

OK Computer

^(practically a tie)

Hail To The Thief

Hardly listen to:

King of Limbs

The Bends

Pablo Honey

Also TKOL Remixes & Thom Yorke's Eraser > King of Limbs and Atoms For Peace (which I need to give another good listen of tbh)

Props to you.

I agree with most of what you've said here. However, I think the Atoms for Peace record is really good, almost on par with the Eraser. TKOL RMX had some good mixes on it, but I really prefer the original album although it was very disappointing.

If anyone's interested in the In Rainbows box set, and The King of Limbs 2x10" packet, I'd be willing to sell them for a reasonable price.

I also have the Kid A Capitol repress.

And with regards to their records, I don't really care for anything before Kid A anymore, guess it's just how music tastes have swung.

So I'll rank Kid A onwards:

Kid A

In Rainbows

Amnesiac

The King of Limbs

Hail to the Thief

I really disliked HTTT, was pretty experimental but generic at the same time. I dunno.

pm for you sir

OK Computer Kid A and Amnesiac are all pretty good. Personally I'm a fan of Hail to the thief. King of Limbs In Rainbows and The Eraser are all solid but just not that interesting to me personally. I'm sure they are great live though.

Guest Coalbucket PI

After I was so blown away by OK Computer years ago I never thought I would hear them top it, but I'd have to say In Rainbows is probably now my favourite album by Radiohead.

Both OK Computer and In Rainbows are 10/10 for me.

Kid A is great but I just don't like National Anthem and it's really loud and stuck right in the middle of the album so that brings it right down.

Amnesiac is probably just above Kid A. I always thought Spinning Plates was kind of a messing around experiment more than anything but hearing the way he plays it live on piano turned it into one of my favourites.

Hail To The Thief is really good, I don't really understand the criticism it gets. It's just a little bit too long. There are a whole bunch of excellent and unique sounding songs on there, like Wolf At The Door and Where I End And You Begin.

King Of Limbs never really clicked with me, I should still give it more listens . The thing with In Rainbows is it has some real energy as well as the bleak stuff, and King Of Limbs doesn't seem to have much energy and then it's just over so quickly

As for The Bends, it's good fun, it sounds a bit old now but it's energetic and really good for driving to. Pablo Honey is worth ignoring in my opinion.

I listened to their discography recently, minus Pablo Honey, and was surprised to discover that Hail to the Theif is my favorite. Second place could go to In Rainbows, Kid A, or OK Computer, all top notch albums. Amnesiac's great too. King of Limbs is their weakest imo --I haven't actually heard Pablo Honey, but judging by the rankings here I'm not missing much.

Anyone who's into their stuff (even in a small way) should check 'em live. They're fucking brilliant :music::blink:

There aren't bad artists except when people bad mouth pop stars. All artists are at least pretty good if not brilliant.

In Rainbows

Amnesiac

Kid A

OK Computer

The Bends
Hail to the Thief

King of Limbs

The From the Basement sessions are well worth watching/listening to

- OK Computer. Still sounds pretty bloody arresting nearly 20 years later. It is far removed from standard alt rock music... the production, the sounds, the riffs. A true contender for greatest album of all time!

- Amnesiac. Not their strongest album, but probably their most interesting. Something about this album just work for me, even if it does seem a little disjointed.

- In Rainbows. Just a damn solid album up and down. I can see how some people have this as their favourite.

- Kid A. Frankly, half of this album is a little weak. I appreciate the cohesive mood, but the best tracks far outweigh the rest. Those tracks are sensational, but filler on a 40 minute album? Ehhhh

- The Eraser. Some really good song writing on this album, and nice lyrics. It could use a little more bite, and does seem a little slight, but pretty good release on balance.

- The Bends. Yes, it does sound like pretty standard 90s brit rock but Thom's vocals are particularly lovely on this album and it has many fine tunes. The ambition is a little lacking compared to the albums that followed though.

- Hail To The Thief. Some really great tracks, again, but this hasn't really aged as well as the other albums. It was always a little bloated, and has some of the cringiest tracks this side of Pablo Honey. It does seem a little forced at times. Still, dat Myxamatosis!

- Atoms For Peace. Actually pretty solid tracks, but the production turns me off. The beats are a little too clicky clacky for my tastes. It's all so... one note.

- King of Limbs. 3 good/great tracks on a meager 8 track record... yeesh. Some of the b-sides (like Butcher and Staircase) are better than most of the album. Suffers from similar production issues to AFP. Thom has been listening to too much Fourtet.

Guest bitroast

Amnesiac

In Rainbows

Kid A

Ok Computer

Hail To The Thief

The King Of Limbs
The Bends

Pablo Honey

Boom! subject to change from day to day. I mean, Hail To Thief and Ok Computer are pretty low on the lists but that's only because I haven't really listened to them much recently).

I also really like The Eraser. Shit ton better than Amok, which is good in parts but has some stinker tracks as well.

I've been thinking about radiohead a bit recently. It's fucking weird how Supercollider is their longest track, and it only clocks in at 7 minutes.

All of their songs are so fine tuned and cut down to be palatable 'pop' songs with verse/chorus approach.

Even at their most experimental, they were experimenting with sound and melody but always tended to apply it to some pop song structures.

I think i'd like to see them break that mould a little and jam out a bit more in their recordings, as opposed to feeling so obliged to editing everything down to 3 minutes.
King of Limbs feels super compact and tight for this^ reason. (maybe too compact and tight?)

having said that. I think I just love what happens when I hear jonny and thom + others make music together. listening to thom yorke solo music makes me wanna hear some disjointed jonny melodies thrown in, and listening to solo jonny (ie. bodysong) makes me wanna hear yorkes singing on top. the two together make gooood musics together. I hope they don't get sick of it and continue doing it for a while yet, because I feel they still have territories to explore (and fans to keep happy, ie. me!!!!)

where's jules in this thread?

Along with In Rainbows I've been playing The Bends a bit lately. Fake Plastic Trees is such brilliance, a wonderful tune. I've played it everyday this week. Funny how sometimes records can sit at the back of a drawer for years being ignored, then spring back into life. I suppose that's the sign of a classic record.

Guest bitroast

Along with In Rainbows I've been playing The Bends a bit lately. Fake Plastic Trees is such brilliance, a wonderful tune. I've played it everyday this week. Funny how sometimes records can sit at the back of a drawer for years being ignored, then spring back into life. I suppose that's the sign of a classic record.

yeah true.

to be fair, I don't even own the bends atm.

So if i'm feeling like spinning some radiohead records at home, the bends won't >>EVER<< get played (until of course, I pick it up !)

I've decided I'm adding In Rainbows to joint first

it's a weird album though - it's so positive (yeah, maybe not)

There's a couple of songs I love on the Bends too

Guest bitroast

the walls of noise on all I need / layers of delay and overlaying melodies during the end of weird fishes^^

I remember having a live version of How to Disappear Completely that was from before the album and it was much longer, jammier, and better in nearly every way.

Archived