Amnesiac

In Rainbows

Kid A

Ok Computer

Hail To The Thief

The King Of Limbs

The Bends

Pablo Honey

Boom! subject to change from day to day. I mean, Hail To Thief and Ok Computer are pretty low on the lists but that's only because I haven't really listened to them much recently).

I also really like The Eraser. Shit ton better than Amok, which is good in parts but has some stinker tracks as well.

I've been thinking about radiohead a bit recently. It's fucking weird how Supercollider is their longest track, and it only clocks in at 7 minutes.

All of their songs are so fine tuned and cut down to be palatable 'pop' songs with verse/chorus approach.

Even at their most experimental, they were experimenting with sound and melody but always tended to apply it to some pop song structures.

I think i'd like to see them break that mould a little and jam out a bit more in their recordings, as opposed to feeling so obliged to editing everything down to 3 minutes.

King of Limbs feels super compact and tight for this^ reason. (maybe too compact and tight?)

having said that. I think I just love what happens when I hear jonny and thom + others make music together. listening to thom yorke solo music makes me wanna hear some disjointed jonny melodies thrown in, and listening to solo jonny (ie. bodysong) makes me wanna hear yorkes singing on top. the two together make gooood musics together. I hope they don't get sick of it and continue doing it for a while yet, because I feel they still have territories to explore (and fans to keep happy, ie. me!!!!)

where's jules in this thread?

:beer:

I thought twisted words was their entry into a little more jammy world. guess not

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe typical for people coming from the IDM side of life, I avoided the "older" Albums; but now I listened to OK Computer a lot of times and I have to say I am a richer man now. So much good music. Favourites, generally the obvious ones: Karma Police (even though it was running multiple times on WDR2 public radio here), Paranoid Android (RAIN DOWN!), No surprises, Exit song, Airbag, Lucky... A good album as a whole. You gotta love Thoms singing I guess. Which I do.

Guest murphythecat8

I used to be a radiohead maniac, listening to them all the time.

Not anymore :)

For me, the only two really great albums that are good from beginning to end:

The bends

In rainbows

As much as I used to love ok computer or kid a, I dont care about those albums anymore

The other albums all have good songs, but not good as a whole album.

Guest bitroast

Kid A absolutely blew my socks off when first heard it and was my favourite album for the longest time.

But it's a bit too self contained and soupy? over time I've found Amnesiac to be bit more of a keeper. bit more varied, bit more song-y (hence being at top of my list from few months ago, it seems)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest capitan mission

Kid A
Amnesiac
In Rainbows

these 3 are fantastic, ok computer is really good but not my taste... I really like these 3 start to finish. I can listen to Kid A today and i find it excellent as always.

To be fair those ppl were probably watching teletubbies when OK computer came out. For me there's something so timely and timeless about OK computer, as it managed to perfectly capture my own (and I can only presume many others') disillusionment and despair at the ever-increasing sterility of the outside industrialized world, and in a way that nothing before it ever did. Not gonna play the "ya had to be there" card but it certainly helped, I vaguely remember first hearing paranoid android when the video aired on MTV (wat) plus nobody back then knew who the fuck thom yorke was.

Guest capitan mission

I think it's weird that people are writing off OK Computer. Kid A is roughly 74% as good.

I like it, but is in no way in my fav list. I prefer Kid A all the way.

Yeah, paranoid android, karma police are very good tracks, the guitar work in paranoid A. is very original, but as I said, is not my kind of taste, too "baroque".

I wasnt a kid in that time, to me radiohead started like a popish grunge band, all those depression, nothing new in Nirvana times... Ok Computer turned more in a prog vein.

So, OK computer is a great album, but not my kind of stuff.

Im Rainbows is a good mix of classic rock formation and electronics, but i like a lot more the "rock" sound of it than the one in OK... and i like the electronics in it

To be fair those ppl were probably watching teletubbies when OK computer came out. For me there's something so timely and timeless about OK computer, as it managed to perfectly capture my own (and I can only presume many others') disillusionment and despair at the ever-increasing sterility of the outside industrialized world, and in a way that nothing before it ever did. Not gonna play the "ya had to be there" card but it certainly helped, I vaguely remember first hearing paranoid android when the video aired on MTV (wat) plus nobody back then knew who the fuck thom yorke was.

I was high school age when first hearing OK Computer and seeing the 10 Spot performance on MTV

And for sure the first time I heard it I listened to it 3 times in a row in my room and lost my damn mind I was so amazed what I was hearing and feeling

But Kid A, I mean seriously that defies all and is the pinnacle of all things that have or ever will be

Comparing anything to Kid A is just not even a contest for me

I remember Radiohead being firmly lumped in with Brit Pop genre, and then when they released OK Computer it took them way beyond that and into a higher echelon of greatness. It's another level. Another band that managed to jump leaps and bounds from one album to another was Suede with Dogman Star but Radiohead just kept punching harder and heavier, and never really stopped.

Though I liked King of Limbs and a few of the remixes I thought it was a bit below par for such a great band. Really look forward to the new stuff. Phil Selway has some new stuff out at the moment, and it's pretty good imo.

I think it's weird that people are writing off OK Computer. Kid A is roughly 74% as good.

For me, OK Computer has a lot of over-affected moments in York's vocals and in some compositional decisions. It is too explicitly "emotional" for me sometimes. Kid A and In Rainbows show their performance in a much more mature way, in my opinion.

lists, really? what is this, buzzfeed?

track picks:

From TKOL: Bloom...those trumpets. Codex is radiohead saying just chill.

From HTTT: Myxomatosis is the ultimate track, maybe. There There also has one of the greatest guitar solos ever. Where I End and You Begin is one of my all time fav songs.

From IR: House of Cards, real tune, it always perplexes me.

From KA: Optimistic and In Limbo, that's a genius of a track. took them 9 months to get right i heard. idioteque is too political

From OKC: Climbing up the walls, has to be. that's probably the most special radiohead album to me, just because it's so honest.

From A: tough choices here. Probably Kinves out. So good in the context of the album.

From TB: not bad music for a day trip when it's hot outside. Just is classic. Bulletproof always got to me. Fake Plastic Trees.

Pablo Honey can burn in hell, though i was walking the other day and heard a marching band practicing Creep.

Radiohead burnout is real and possibly contagious. I can only listen to In Rainbows and Kid A from back to front.

ahahaha.

I mean, Radiohead burnout is definitely real and I haven't been able to listen to them for I think 7 years now, but I'm imagining some PSA thing where a stern-looking celebrity stares at the camera and says "Radiohead burnout is very real. Each year thousands of people" etc etc etc

Archived