IGNORED

Drukqs Gear and Samples

Guest skibby

Guest skibby

What drum samples or drum machines were used?

How much of it was ITB?

What software was used?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a computer, random acoustic drum loops he ripped from vinyl years ago and had on a floppy lol and uh some ABBA samples he used to program his 101 alongside the speech vocoder modded 909 - only one made and it can only be found on rainy midnights in london

saw it last week, almost had it in my grip until i slipped off the ladder and broke my leg

richie rich (aphex twin) was holding it by a wire laughing his ass off. sold my analord box set immediately after because i know what he is truly up to now...

LAUNCH: Are you working entirely with Macs and PCs, or still
using outboard gear like drum machines and samplers?

RJ: got loads of different setups.

LAUNCH: It sounds like you used Syndrums on some tracks. Did
you sample them off record, or are all the sounds we hear
self-generated samples? Did you play the drums yourself on a
keyboard?

RJ: The drums played with my foreskin and made me feel all
funny inside.

Didn't Liveslice appear a few years after Drukqs? I'd guess he used Recycle instead, as well as manual sample cutting.

It's basically one-hit samples (sampled from old records/tapes and played from an Akai and or some software) and audio phrases(recorded from his own synths/instruments/mates/parents) that are sequenced (by MIDI and direct audio arrangement in Cubase/ProTools) and treated with effects (outboard, VSTs, CDP).

As CPU power was not the best 15 years ago, I'd guess he added a few effects to each track or to the master, then rendered it into a new track, and then manipulated that again by slicing/repeating/effecting. You'll recognize this offline workflow (as well as a lot of the sounds) of you give CDP a go! Final arrangements were made using several audio tracks that contained several manipulated variations of the different tracks/master, and then jumping between those variations in the timeline.

Guest skibby

Irrelevant pointless thread is irrelevant and pointless

only if you post stuff like this

I'm sure this thread has been done to death though.

skibby - in the future perhaps do a search, nothing wrong with bumping an old thread if you have something new to contribute. :)

I feel as though druqks was stitched together from a wide library of sound experiments rich had done and then glued together with more calculated synth and drum layers to form distinctive tracks.

i searched, but not too hard.

probably just cubase and liveslice http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php and loads of his own samples

never seen liveslice before

Didn't Liveslice appear a few years after Drukqs? I'd guess he used Recycle instead, as well as manual sample cutting.

It's basically one-hit samples (sampled from old records/tapes and played from an Akai and or some software) and audio phrases(recorded from his own synths/instruments/mates/parents) that are sequenced (by MIDI and direct audio arrangement in Cubase/ProTools) and treated with effects (outboard, VSTs, CDP).

As CPU power was not the best 15 years ago, I'd guess he added a few effects to each track or to the master, then rendered it into a new track, and then manipulated that again by slicing/repeating/effecting. You'll recognize this offline workflow (as well as a lot of the sounds) of you give CDP a go! Final arrangements were made using several audio tracks that contained several manipulated variations of the different tracks/master, and then jumping between those variations in the timeline.

yep, i think he said recycle. i was just messing around with a cover song, and noticing i cant seem to produce some of the distortions, nor get even close to the tone of most of the samples.

a banjo and your mother.

whee

If you "dissect" Drukqs, there's not much DSP voodoo going. He could have achieved such results with many different hardware/software combos.

Could be any DAW, custom max/supercollider/whatever stuffs, trackers, hardware MIDI sequencers, samplers, 101/303 etc...

Nevertheless, the composition, beat-programming and arrangements are fantastic.

If you "dissect" Drukqs, there's not much DSP voodoo going.

...and most of it is CDP, I think.

xrxs over at the Renoise forum made this little demo that's pretty Drukqs-like. It's basically one vocal sample and one drum loop that have been treated by various algorithms in CDP, then arranged in Renoise. It suggests how much sonic richness and variation you can achieve from just a few sources.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ui5ocbeqzi0c0/CDPShowcase.mp3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ui5ocbeqzi0c0/CDPShowcase.mp3

Nice ! Never heard of CDP before though.

I can't help thinking that loads of stuffs on Drukqs were done with quite rudimentary yet masterfully operated tools. It's all about craftmanship really.

He does a bit of programming himself these days, most likely using Max on the Mac. And not a lot else these days, according to Tom Jenkinson aka Squarepusher (interviewed in Wire).

Archived