IGNORED

What does your spouse/significant other/partner listen to

Rubin Farr

Her favorite music to work out to is old school Ministry (Land of Rape and Honey, Psalm 69, Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste), which seems to be the music she's most fond of this year. She was already into some IDM before I met her.... in fact I started talking to her on ICQ after searching for local people who were into IDM in my city (she was one of two results). She loves Tom Waits, Grizzly Bear, Ween, QotSA, Elliott Smith. Basically any music she's really into is awesome, but there's tons of stuff I love that she can't get into. She gets weirded out by singers pretty easily, whereas if I find the music interesting the singer doesn't really matter so much. Other than that our tastes are pretty similar. She even likes my noise music... though it's been known to cause anxiety.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've run into this time & again over the years, the other person's musical taste. Do you bond over music, or are you at opposite ends of the spectrum? I've had girlfriends that listened to everything from industrial to top 40.

my girlfriend and i are opposite ends of the spectrum. she literally listens to the poppiest music: mariah carey, miley cyrus, britney spears, michael jackson, kelly pickler and miranda lambert. she's however not allowed to listen to that shit in the car (unless i'm not in the car then she breaks that rule) and luckily never listens to any of that shit in the house.

Wad up hayhook!

I also feel compelled to share with this thread the long evening my wife and I spent in bed, listening to The Dead Texan, going through the gifs on holymaurymotherofgod.tumblr.com - strangely beautiful experience.

P.S. Lighten up Nebraska, Britney Spears has some killer tracks (also try not to judge your SO's music taste so harshly, it's mean)

Yo La Tengo, Belle and Sebastian, Outkast, Matmos (mostly The Civil War), David Bowie, Cat Power, Beatles, Billie Holiday, The Beastie Boys, Isley Brothers, Nick Cave the the Bad Seeds, Chaka Kahn, pretty wide swatch of 70s soul and funk, Prince. Probably forgetting lots of them.

Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Matisyahu, (wow, lot's of M's), Placebo, Sublime, Icona Pop, Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, etc (all of Kathleen Hannah's projects), Aphex Twin (with me :D ), and countless other artists, incl. lots of stuff I introduced to her and stuff she introduced to me.

oh and she loves macklemore lol

... and my music!

P.S. Lighten up Nebraska, Britney Spears has some killer tracks (also try not to judge your SO's music taste so harshly, it's mean)

actually britney spears is probably the only thing we agree on

My wife loves various country musicians, Portishead, Die Antwoord, Born Ruffians, Grimes, Ceephax and Sunset Rubdown and some other generic pop music...I wish i could be like her.

"Vagina Music" (her term, not mine...girl singer/song writer stuff...one voice, one acoustic guitar) and a lot "indie" stuff...I dunno what any of it is because it's on the radio lol...she also likes 90's Trip Hop and does a sexy fucking version of Sour Times at karaoke <3

• 2 weeks later...

80's n' 90's pop. Lots of freestyle music as well which I thank him for since I wasn't really familiar with the genre before I met him. Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFdDAugPYOk

He is also into a lot of the more approachable IDMz that I put on, like Plaid, BoC, Telefon Tel Aviv, AIR etc. If I put on Datach'i or Venetian Snares he calls it Schitzophrenic music and doesn't like to be in the room when it's playing.

Archived