IGNORED

Pink Floyd - The Endless River

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's actually a song called "Hawking Talkin'". FFS Gilmour!

Yeah I read somewhere it really featured vocals by Stephen Hawking...

This album sounds like fucking stock music so far. Listening to the previews actually makes me cringe a little.

Same here. Makes me think of the "Game Dev Tycoon" OST. Which is a very bad thing of course.

holy shit . that track is really horrible ; i hate everything post The Wall with the Plink Plonk and hate hate everything without Roger Waters, Division Bells stinks !

And now a album of Divison Bells outtakes.

horrible most horrible.

just noticing the word 'ambient' used by mason to describe the original material they started working on for the album makes me think how it couldve actually been cool if floyd stepped into a bit more of an 'ambient'/electronic, purely instrumental arena. they could've tossed out maybe a handful of albums like that since the 80s. i really, really like some of the dreamy, more ambient moments of momentary lapse of reason and i would love a whole album of soundscapes like that. those guys couldve had a good chance at entering that arena and pulling it off respectably. in my mind the idea of like 5 synth/echoey guitar ambient albums by floyd is tits. yeah they prob wouldve been hit or miss but i think the fact of momentary lapse and division bell being that way had a lot to do with the fact that they 'had' to have lyrics, 'had' to try to think of some 'meaningful' 'theme' for those lyrics to have, etc etc etc and all the other bullshit that comes with having to have lyrics with messages and ideas behind them. if they just cut that tether and focused on music, who knows man, they could've maybe couldve made some sweet ass music.

I don't [hate] Gilmour's Pink Floyd, if only he'd call it something other than Pink Floyd.

Yea, Gilmour as a musician is ok for the most part.

As a lyricist he's awful

and as Pink Floyd he is not

just noticing the word 'ambient' used by mason to describe the original material they started working on for the album makes me think how it couldve actually been cool if floyd stepped into a bit more of an 'ambient'/electronic, purely instrumental arena. they could've tossed out maybe a handful of albums like that since the 80s. i really, really like some of the dreamy, more ambient moments of momentary lapse of reason and i would love a whole album of soundscapes like that. those guys couldve had a good chance at entering that arena and pulling it off respectably. in my mind the idea of like 5 synth/echoey guitar ambient albums by floyd is tits. yeah they prob wouldve been hit or miss but i think the fact of momentary lapse and division bell being that way had a lot to do with the fact that they 'had' to have lyrics, 'had' to try to think of some 'meaningful' 'theme' for those lyrics to have, etc etc etc and all the other bullshit that comes with having to have lyrics with messages and ideas behind them. if they just cut that tether and focused on music, who knows man, they could've maybe couldve made some sweet ass music.

pretty much. Momentary Lapse was lush as fuck, imo, with or without lyrics.. but a full ambient album would be pretty excellent.

pretty much. Momentary Lapse was lush as fuck, imo, with or without lyrics.. but a full ambient album would be pretty excellent.

The music is marred by the god awful lyrics though, although The Division Bell is a lot more bearable in that department.

There's some great moments in both albums musically, I hated them for years until I decided to strip the vocals when listening.

That's kind of my issue with them, they're so utterly safe and pedestrian. The Final Cut was kind of daring in its own way, as it's totally unlike anything Floyd had done before, whilst MLoR and TDB kind of sound like someone who'd heard '70s Floyd and thought 'I can write some songs like that!', completely ignoring the unique creativity that went into those albums. A New Machine / Terminal Frost is the strongest part of Momentary Lapse, it would be great if more of the album followed those lines.

As for the new album, I get the feeling it's not going to be 'ambient' for the most part. It's a word tossed around far too often for my liking.

holy shit . that track is really horrible ; i hate everything post The Wall with the Plink Plonk and hate hate everything without Roger Waters, Division Bells stinks !

horrible most horrible.

Yeah, I can't say I'm too fussed on much of the post-Wall stuff either, but I wouldn't put it down to Roger's departure. You've gotta remember that Gilmour wrote most of Pink Floyd's music in the 70s, while Waters handled pretty much all of the lyrics, so 80s/90s Floyd probably wouldn't have sounded much different even if Roger stayed in the band.

I'd put it down to the pair having a shift in musical interests. I can't say I enjoyed Gilmour's second solo album from '84, and I certainly didn't enjoy Roger's solo stuff. Basically, the way I see it, Gilmour was once able to write some really good material, but for the past few decades, he's been subpar in comparison. Waters' lyrics have always been phenomenal, but I never thought his music lived up to Gilmour's.

horrible most horrible.

Yeah, I can't say I'm too fussed on much of the post-Wall stuff either, but I wouldn't put it down to Roger's departure. You've gotta remember that Gilmour wrote most of Pink Floyd's music in the 70s, while Waters handled pretty much all of the lyrics, so 80s/90s Floyd probably wouldn't have sounded much different even if Roger stayed in the band.

I'd put it down to the pair having a shift in musical interests. I can't say I enjoyed Gilmour's second solo album from '84, and I certainly didn't enjoy Roger's solo stuff. Basically, the way I see it, Gilmour was once able to write some really good material, but for the past few decades, he's been subpar in comparison. Waters' lyrics have always been phenomenal, but I never thought his music lived up to Gilmour's.

I think its the right opposite ; it was Roger who wrote most of the songs AND the lyrics, after Syd Barrett's departure. The Wall is more or less Rogers work. This album is full of great songs the Roger demoed before the band recorded the album.

From what I've gleaned from various shows, books, etc The Final Cut was basically a Waters solo album, while Momentary Lapse of Reason was really a Gilmour album and had been sourced from his demos.

Yep pretty much. Waters also wrote most of the music on The Wall (with the exception of stuff like Comfortably Numb and Young Lust), and everything on Animals, bar Dogs.

*The Wall and Animals are fucking fantastic albums, but I can not stand The Final Cut. Absolutely awful record. I guess this confirms my theory that both Gilmour and Waters lost their touch in the 80's, and probably Waters more than Gilmour.

*my opinion

The Final Cut is my favourite Floyd record.

There, you won't read/hear that ever again.

The Postwar Dream was the only good thing about The Final Cut imho...

But Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking was great tho :music:

Rolling Stone interview with David Gilmour.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/david-gilmour-theres-no-room-in-my-life-for-pink-floyd-20141029

I can't help being a bit bummed out when he says this is the definitive end of Floyd, even though I know that it's probably for the best.

I like the snare sound. That's about all though. Sounds like the post-rock stuff I was doing in 2006 haha

http://media.laridae.at/releases/laridae040/laridae040-06_-_rooftop_access-mountains_of_the_moon.mp3

probably more interesting than this new pink floyd album

Archived