IGNORED

What's Your Favourite Sound?

Joyrex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain

EDIT: Wait, I thought you meant any kind of sound. Nevermind then.

EDIT2: I changed my mind: a cello or a double bass.

Dude, those are my three favourite sounds!

Guitar run through a gauntlet of effects: tape delay, analog distortion, digital reverb, multiple dubs, etc. Just layers and layers of it.

I loved it as a little kid.

I loved it in the select few albums I listened to in high school, (in this example the solo in the middle)

I loved it as I dove into shoegaze, drone, ambient, metal, etc.

Even now it's something I find immediately appealing in any song, whether it's some pop hit or some fucking experimental underground tape release. I'll never tire of it. This has become one of my favorite songs ever; it's old but I only heard the album in the last year.

2. Gamelan - a class of Indonesian percussion instruments. One example is played throughout Gong Acid, the final track on Squarepusher's Budakhan Mindphone.

Gamelan recordings are amazing. I have a couple on cassette, including this one, and it's quite lovely.

Nyce, thx for sharing man. My brother and I used to have a vinyl recording of gamelan from 1964, but I dunno what happened to it. I think I remember it being called Monkey Dance or something. Gamelan are the tits.

Guitar run through a gauntlet of effects: tape delay, analog distortion, digital reverb, multiple dubs, etc. Just layers and layers of it.

I loved it in the select few albums I listened to in high school, (in this example the solo in the middle)

Such a great song, such a good album.

i really like the music / sound fx from the 70s particularly their idea of the what the future would sound like

things like logans run, also female robot voices from same era or thereaboutts. this slow monotone processed vocal

It's quite hard to distinguish sounds from notes/melodies, but some of my sonic obsessions :

- SH-101 portamento filtered sawtooth, sunken in reverb à la Theme From Ernest Borgnine (SP's pads on Tundra too, oh my !). MS20 does it really well too !

- µ-Ziq trademarked lead melody patch(es).

- So many Aphex synths and samples, no matter which era... Damn, anything in Xtal for example !

- Aleksi Perälä lush pads.

- G-funk hi-pitched lead melodies (like Warren G's This DJ, Snoop Dogg's What my Name ? etc...).

- All the sounds in Bone Thugs N Harmony's 1st of tha month (I could listen to that tune/instrumental on repeat, forever). The lead melody, the pitched stabs/chords.. I've always been obsessed by these sounds.

- Drums on most recent Flaming Lips records.

- That "gong + field recording" on Mileece's Fern : as if you were suddenly opening a door, and there's a fantastic landscape instead of your room.

- Trish Keenan's voice.

- All the synth work in Rasmus Folke's Coupé. Every thing in that tune actually, even that voice-over in the middle of the tune "I love this song" : so do I !

- All kind of reverbs, delays and noises.

The list could go on and on and on...

Meows and purrs.

Rain, storm, wind, all kind of nature sounds.

typical, fucking piano players.

pheheheh. [-; favourite sound, the sound of my own self gratification. heeeh. Oh and all sorts of stuff, mostly the wind blowing through the branches of the infinity tree.

80s synth pads (usually so good it's the only thing that makes a track)

piston engine aircraft sound flying in distance (thank you Biosphere)

tight hihats/snare combo, and get that 1/8 note going!

a very specific church bell sound coming from a hill

cicadas

edit: choral monks, yes

Chorus. Lots of chorus. Everything coated in deep, rich chorus. Especially combined with reverb. (One reason I love a lot of music from the '80s.) Particularly:

Like this:

http://soundcloud.com/dementiaandhopetrails/love-came-of-our-pasts-and-our

In terms of untreated sounds, piano is my favourite instrument, especially solo. For quite a while it was my turn-to instrument in my own music, and I will gravitate towards anything with piano in it. Piano and chorussy/reverby instruments together... heaven.

- G-funk hi-pitched lead melodies (like Warren G's This DJ, Snoop Dogg's What my Name ? etc...).

- All the sounds in Bone Thugs N Harmony's 1st of tha month

Oh, shit- I used to bump that Bone track half my life ago (and every now and again), and I never heard the instrumental until after your post. Yah, nice... As for the hi-pitched gangsta lead melodies-- So were you- like me- also like aaaaaaaaaaw yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeah when you first heard Squarepusher's The Exploding Psychology?

As for this thread, I have no contribution, cuz "favourite" is.... a bit much. But for an answer that quickly came to mind: ORCH5

great blog man

yeah it's in dire need of updating :/ (sorry)

The lead, synth-horn sounding thing on Everything You Do is a Balloon. Kinda, sorta like heaven in my mind.

That track is perfect, so many wonderful sounds tied together.

Such a great song, such a good album.

I used to think it was just a regional classic but I've come to feel it's genuinely underrated. A mini-doc about the album came out this year, lot of new tidbits and background to the album for most.

i really like the music / sound fx from the 70s particularly their idea of the what the future would sound like

things like logans run, also female robot voices from same era or thereaboutts. this slow monotone processed vocal

I love 70s space aesthetics and so much music from then is tied to that - including all the often over-the-top or out of place synth parts in rock and pop songs from back then

same here, as much as it's been played out, replicated, emulated, etc

Gyuto Monks:

http://youtu.be/HakplugtPQI

Dude, I remember hearing a sound clip on Encarta 98 and I think it was from the same monastary. Been looking for a source or similar source for ages. This is awesome.

Like this:

http://soundcloud.com/dementiaandhopetrails/love-came-of-our-pasts-and-our

yes :happy:

- Foghorns

- That sound Propeller planes make after landing just before the engine shuts off (a deep monstrous growl, I think the propellers are going in reverse for a second or something to slow them down)

- The drone at the opening of this track:

Pretty much any sound Adam Wiltzie coaxes out of guitars hits my g-spot.

- Foghorns

- That sound Propeller planes make after landing just before the engine shuts off (a deep monstrous growl, I think the propellers are going in reverse for a second or something to slow them down)

That prop sound... For some reason all that came to mind was a loose-skinned old dude kind of making sputting noises with his flappy mouth... Then I realized I used to watch the fuck out of Looney Tunes. Then I realized that you put "Foghorns" before the prop ting, and then I realized da brain can be easily susceptible to influence at times (uh, Foghorn Leghorn).

dub techno stabs. deepchord / echospace nail it on coldest season.

bandpass filtered sounds

warm drones

lately bass - classic house / techno patch, very common in the 90's

analogue sub bass

portamento fm leads

burial hoover bass

I'd love to hear examples of all these!

Archived