IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderately excited. Not sure what to expect anymore.

Yeah, same here. Until The Quiet Comes had some lovely moments, a few solid tracks, but for such a conceptually overwrought and publicized album I found it underwhelming. Just a lot of jazzy noodling imo, and it went by a lot slower than Cosmogramma. Los Angeles. Captain Murphy was more engaging but not as much replay value. Reminded me of his leaked beat mixtapes.

I'm stoked to see him live again though, he's playing FYF.

i like my vanilla chai how i like my pickles; maxmsp.

But naw, I don't.

He has two albums of Jazz tinged delights already, I thought this was going to be his take on ambient? not that I'm complaining or anything because Flying Lotus is Lotus Flying.

I liked the CM stuff but I can only listen to that every so often. I could listen to any of FL's albums and listen to it for a week straight. Duality didn't offer that for me unfortunately.

Ambient would be cool, bit burned out on his more recent "sounds." I can always listen to Los Angeles and 1983 though.

Yeah I'm guessing there will be some surprises, in a good way, but I'm not sure exactly what to expect. AS far as I knew CM would be releasing quite a time before a new Lotus album. I've been hoping for both anyway and, like others, I'd prefer if they were kept more separate. Maybe this album will just feature more collabs than previous releases. I've been wanting something new since being fairly unimpressed with Until the Quiet Comes.

Los Angeles is a classic.

Cosmogramma and Until The Quite comes... not so much

But I'm interested in this.

Cosmogramma has much more classic per oz than Los Angeles though. I think your meters need re-standardization or calibration son. Check with the metrology department to submit a work order, b.

I don't understand Until the Quiet Comes, it was great at first, but it got boring quickly. I rarely listen to it, and throw on 1983, Los Angeles, and Cosmogramma more often. I think it might be that every single track was laden with ambiance of some sort in parts where more excitement could have easily been substituted, which can be great when placed throughout an album, but it needed the level of excitement his previous albums had in spots. UtQC reminds me of King of Limbs too, in that it kinda stayed in one place and never really changed.

Judging by the artwork for LP5, it looks like it'll have plenty of excitement.

Guest englishbob

Very much looking forward to this, even booked tickets for the London gig. But it read on the Roundhouse site "+Full Band" so I am a little worried.

Cosmogramma was a work of art IMO, if you don't get it, then thats because its too far ahead of the game, into the future. Come back to it sometime. I always said the first couple of tracks are quite punishing on first listen, but you learn to love them.

What I really admire is his self-control over his editing. Cosmogramma is around 45 minutes long, yet it is immense. For the first 30 or so plays, you will hear something different every time.

My favourite touch of his compositions is at the end of the track "Hunger" on the last album, he brings the strings into the mix right on the fade out for a cracking end touch!

I have high-ish hopes for his new record. After all, the giveway "Drafts,," download last year was actually better than a lot of music released at the time, and it was given away!

It's be sweet if the route he was going with this was like a darker, heavier Los Angeles era sound... Like LA beat scene sound but dark and heavy, more reverbs and such.

in that it kinda stayed in one place and never really changed.

I don't agree with you in that Until the Quiet is boring, but really like this description you used about a piece of music...makes complete sense

• 3 weeks later...

I don't agree with you in that Until the Quiet is boring, but really like this description you used about a piece of music...makes complete sense

Oh. My wording was a bit harsh. It just wore thin somehow over a period of a few months. Whereas I still pop in his other albums from time to time and don't feel they've worn thin.. maybe a little, but a track is rarely as exciting as when you first started listening to it.

Guest bitroast

Nice artwork continues...

pretty hyped for this!!

http://officialflylo.tumblr.com/

the artwork is great and getting me pretty hyped, not gonna lie.

easy to assume it's the tracklisting being slowly revealed (track 6...*u*)

01 Theme

02 Tesla featuring keys - Herbie Hancock ***

03 Cold Dead

04 Fkn Dead

05 Never Catch Me featuring Kendrick Lamar

06 Dead Man's Tetris featuring Captain Murphy & Snoop Dogg

07 Turkey Dog Coma

*** edited to include Herbie Hancock

Guest bitroast

Oh. My wording was a bit harsh. It just wore thin somehow over a period of a few months. Whereas I still pop in his other albums from time to time and don't feel they've worn thin.. maybe a little, but a track is rarely as exciting as when you first started listening to it.

I think Until The Quiet Comes has grown on me.

I'll agree that it was a pretty lacklustre release. It was overly hyped, gorgeous packaging, and it was the follow up to some pretty incredible music (LA, plus the psychedelic flowering that was Cosmogramma). Buuut, given it some time, it really isn't at all a bad or boring album. A bit sparse, maybe? Over time i'm come to appreciate it ^^

pretty hyped for this!!

01 Theme

02 Tesla

03 Cold Dead

04 Fkn Dead

07 Turkey Dog Coma

You forgot Herbie Hancock credited as "keys" on Tesla. Fucking excited as well.

Guest bitroast

pretty hyped for this!!

01 Theme

02 Tesla

03 Cold Dead

04 Fkn Dead

07 Turkey Dog Coma

You forgot Herbie Hancock credited as "keys" on Tesla. Fucking excited as well.

I knew flylo was collaborating with hancock on this album but I completely missed that earlier!! (I am suffering from selective blindness, thanks for pointing it out !!)

Archived