IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

if he were to do something different, I'd like to hear more fully formed tracks rather than a bunch of 1:30 songs. his newer stuff all seems very incohesive to me because of that. kind of like some prefuse albums. just throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks. I'll def be checking this out for sure but I have low expectations as nothing has really stuck with me since cosmo

a solid observation.

if flying lotus was to truly make a jazz record it would be a single LP release with weird 6+ minute tracks on both sides.

you're dead sounds like it's going to be another flying lotus record (which is fine in my books, I guess, but it doesn't sound like the revolutionary jazz record that flylo was hyping up all this time).

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if he were to do something different, I'd like to hear more fully formed tracks rather than a bunch of 1:30 songs. his newer stuff all seems very incohesive to me because of that. kind of like some prefuse albums. just throw a bunch of shit at the wall and see what sticks. I'll def be checking this out for sure but I have low expectations as nothing has really stuck with me since cosmo

a solid observation.

if flying lotus was to truly make a jazz record it would be a single LP release with weird 6+ minute tracks on both sides.

you're dead sounds like it's going to be another flying lotus record (which is fine in my books, I guess, but it doesn't sound like the revolutionary jazz record that flylo was hyping up all this time).

Agreed... I want some longer tracks that really have time to evolve. My ADD is bad enough without the song changing every 30 seconds lol

It was always an interesting thought back when this whole 'beat scene' grew on scale to how well some of these producers would succeed in the latter years of their careers. I thought we'd see Lotus crafting something different by now.

Guest bitroast

maybe the next album will sound different and in time we'll be able to call cosmogramma > quiet > dead a "trilogy" and move on from this thundercat bass/jazz sound ??

a solid observation.

Agreed... I want some longer tracks that really have time to evolve. My ADD is bad enough without the song changing every 30 seconds lol

Those kind of tracks are great in like, suite sets or on literal beat cassette tapes - a full-blown LP on Warp...yeah I was some meatly longer songs too.

come on watmm wtf, it's gonna be short exiting tracks just like cosmogramma, nothing wrong with that

exaiite!!

Cosmo had tracks that were 5 min + though.. That's the thing, this latest release is all like 1:30 tracks, completely different from cosmo. More like a prefuse 73 release.

the point was it would be interesting to hear him make more developed songs

does not compute

While I really like Fly Lo I agree that if he wants to explore jazz further through the lens of hip hop his tracks could become longer and more exploratory. Think of Yesterday's New Quintet or ...Endtroducing formed tracks done in FlyLo's style. Potential bro. Serious.

83 & Reset were like whoa

LA was the haze

Cosmogramma was the shit

Pattern Grid World was completely disposable

So were those b-sides those you had to dick around with your webcam for until somebody just finally uploaded all of them

Until Quiet had it's moments but doesn't stack up to Cosmo

Those ideas and drafts were prey good

Never really got the cap'n murphy thing

This??

this is 100% accurate

Archived