IGNORED

Chromatic Hash

Brisbot

Hah, well the comment wasn't meant to imply anything after that time frame was lacking in dynamics, just that I particularly liked that first main vocal section.

And as for a bassline, I think if a subtle one went in there halfway through it would work, but I like the track as is as well so it's up to you.

I think I'm going to look at beefing up the low end for existing elements than trying to add a bassline, since many things are potentially bass-y. I do have a glitched out cello in there for example. Heh.

I mean a melody made of notes which sustain rather than decay quickly, something that floats over or around all of the nice percussive stuff that you've done on this track.

Yeah. When I get back to the track I'm definitely adding a pad of some sort. I don't think it'll have a straightforward melody though, I don't think that would work. Maybe.

Not necessarily a melody, I think it just needs some softer sounds somewhere. Just to lushen it up!

Yeah, some parts of the track feel a bit empty I'm starting to realize.

i think they mean pad.

but dont change a thing.

dont ever listen to what other people say

instead, make another song just like this one and add a pad/drone just like every aphex twin song has.

Oh I agree to an extent, since people, myself included, will/can only listen once or twice to a track before they give their feedback, but their feedback would be totally different if they had listened to a track much more. There are times when I'm listening to a track the first time and I feel as though some stuff might be in excess or missing, but once I've listened to it a good bit it makes lots more sense and what I find "wrong" with the track then makes more sense, is more consistent and is usually much different than what I thought was "wrong" the first few times.

Though I try to think of feedback as just suggestions to try out. If it doesn't work, then it's not happening, at least for this track. My favorite feedback is when you think you might need some more of something, and like 3 people tell you exactly what you were thinking was wrong, which has happened on this track btw. Feedback is always welcome!

Good stuff, I am a big fan of psychill

that kind of vocal treatment is a bit cheesy and overdone at this point

interesting sounds. someone mentioned shpongle but this really reminds me of cloudcycle.. you'd probably be weirded out by the similarity if you checked their tracks out

it's not so much a melody the song lacks but a sense of progression, it kind of jumps between sequences. good work on the percussion. the hihat flurry towards the end felt unnecessary

could use more bass, beefier bass drum at least

Thanks! I'm assuming you mean the first 1:30 or so are the cheesy buffer vocals? Yeah I can see that, and kinda thought that might be the case since Aphex did it like 50 times on Drukqs 100 years ago. Heh. I'm just trying to put nice sounds together though, I'm not too worried about the cheese factor. I'm working on a purposely cheesy track right now actually. Cloudcycle does make really similar Formant-y glitches as I do throughout the whole track, so yeah I can definitely see what you mean. Formants are my favorite sound at the moment, btw.

Yeah the progression is fairly weak. Throughout the track I was much more focused on putting cool sounds together that I think the progression suffered. I was so focused on smaller details that the larger ones didn't get enough attention. That's got to change somehow It's fun to learn from your mistakes.

And yes, it definitely needs a beefier bass. It needs beefier everything actually since I haven't meticulously gone through and mixed everything well.

Bout of hyperactivity? :-)

Took me a while to realize what you meant! Yeah, for once I'm not posting an ambient track.

Guest deferlow

There's this "whoa" noise playing around with the rhythm at around 1:52. I have no idea how to describe it properly. It just sounds like it's saying "whoa." So cool. Great stuff.

Not exactly my cup of tea style-wise, but big fan of the drums! Quite impressed by how evolutive it is, can you tell a bit more about how you made the drum patterns?

• 2 weeks later...

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/chromatic-hush-very-wip

This is definitely the most involved track I've ever done. I probably need to approach all tracks like this by now on. It's not quite done compositionally since I keep finding new sounds that fit. Any kind of feedback is appreciated!

I like it!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't commented on this in a while because I've kinda hoped this thread would have floated away since I've already gotten quality feedback from you guys and there's no reason to take up so much space on the forum when I've already moved on, but I'm very very thankful and complimented and whatnot by the fact that you guys keep resurrecting it from page two! Thanks! :beer::emb:

definitely enjoyed this and the build up was surprising. good work. I enjoyed the minimalism of the beginning and thought it was going to stay that way but with more listens I think the latter part would make more sense to me. Keep it up!

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly I've got to say your production skills are impressive. There's so much I loved about this song, its intense and the beats are fantastic. The high end percussion (sounds like a shaker or something?) in the first half is awesome, was listening to it on headphones and the panning on it worked really well. The throaty voice sound is original (and a bit disturbing, lol) and you didn't overuse it. As far as criticism, the drum climax at 3:12 was slightly underwhelming, could maybe have done with a bit more and I think the last bit of noise after the song's climax is a bit unnecessary, but doesn't detract from the rest of it. Overall a very intelligent, enjoyable, dark track.

definitely enjoyed this and the build up was surprising. good work. I enjoyed the minimalism of the beginning and thought it was going to stay that way but with more listens I think the latter part would make more sense to me. Keep it up!

Thanks man! Good to know you enjoyed it!

I agree with th555. 'Dem drums.

They're alright I guess. I think the bass drum is good, but the rest could use more work. Ty ty.

Firstly I've got to say your production skills are impressive. There's so much I loved about this song, its intense and the beats are fantastic. The high end percussion (sounds like a shaker or something?) in the first half is awesome, was listening to it on headphones and the panning on it worked really well. The throaty voice sound is original (and a bit disturbing, lol) and you didn't overuse it. As far as criticism, the drum climax at 3:12 was slightly underwhelming, could maybe have done with a bit more and I think the last bit of noise after the song's climax is a bit unnecessary, but doesn't detract from the rest of it. Overall a very intelligent, enjoyable, dark track.

Yeah! I'm all about switching different elements of a track out. I do like the shaker too, it's a shaker toward the beginning, but acts more as a pad later on. Funny you should say the throaty voice is original! People have said they've heard it before. But hey everything is relative. And yes the drum climax at the end is underwhelming, probably needs a lot more work as it sounds a bit midi.

Archived