IGNORED

Someday We're All Going To Live + other hits

Bechuga

A track or two of recent tracks, made under strict limitations*. I like the first more than the second. Will post any more I do to this thread to save clutter, once a week to save on forum spamming. Any crits/insults welcome.

[sc5]159025681[/sc5]

[sc5]158874928[/sc5]

*Long story short, I sent myself a little mad over the last two months getting too deep into editing music and now I'm restricting myself to a few hours a track instead of the many weeks I did before, and only one or two sets of sounds. Editing music like i did before only made me depressed so instead I'm gonna try being quicker. Try being the operative word.

An older track as evidence of being fucked up from too much editing. The beginning minute or so is intentionally wonky, the dodgy mix isn't.

[sc5]146777387[/sc5]

*Long story short, I sent myself a little mad over the last two months getting too deep into editing music and now I'm restricting myself to a few hours a track instead of the many weeks I did before, and only one or two sets of sounds. Editing music like i did before only made me depressed so instead I'm gonna try being quicker. Try being the operative word.

An older track as evidence of being fucked up from too much editing. The beginning minute or so is intentionally wonky, the dodgy mix isn't.

Personally and ideally I'd like to be able to smash out a long rough sketch within a few hours, then go back after a week or two and see what's worth spending the time on, you know? I was thinking about this today. It's discouraging when I work a day or two on a track I barely get anywhere with and end up becoming bored with. This has happened a lot in the past few weeks. I think the trick is to be able to see as quickly as you can whether or not a track is worth doing, and then getting rid of it and trying to figure out why you don't like it. I've actually gotten way better at this the past few months, but it's still not apparent until i've made a decently sized rough sketch.

About the track, I like it. You have very interesting textures, but I think it would be good to be able to hear the arp more, and to tone down the reverb a bit, as I have my volume like 3/4ths the way up and the high end hurts my ears a little. I could always just turn it down, but it's really only the high end doing it. It would also be good for disambiguating the two synths that are playing, the pad chord that's playing up then down, and the arp in between. I think you should try to mix it to where you can feel more movement and dynamics in the track there to go along with the pad and bass, perhaps with a quicker release time? I think if you go for movement you'll make it seem 'bigger' even if it's the same volume.

And I think that new track is better than the old one, but if you spent the same amount of time on the new track that you did on the old one it'll probably turn out better.

Thanks for the comment! Pretty sure I broke a forum rule in not posting in ten other posts first but... :wacko:

I can gauge fairly quickly if I'm into something or not, usually (thankfully) only a bar or two into a track. If that's the case, I just delete the bars and start over. I think I deleted two separate loads of bars before I did that first track you hear there, and I'll keep doing that as I go forward lest I want to end up with anything I like. As you say though, it's hard to say what will still be liked by the end of a track, which is why I'm just focusing on bashing out something and returning later. Which leads onto...

For that first track, if I go back to it I will definitely be scalping the reverb from it, if not altogether, amongst other touches. And I suppose that if I still like the song enough in time, I'd be more willing to spend another week or two on it, adding dynamics and such as you correctly suggest but seeing as that was what sent me mad before, I'll give it a bit more time before I return to it. I want to make sure it's actually worth spending the extra time on it. I'll definitely be bearing the high end in mind: could be a future source of tinnitus if not careful. Cheers!

Yeah. I guess the important thing would be to get a good rough sketch of the track and to let it sit which is what you have with that first track. I think I read once that Luke Vibert did something like this, where he went on sessions and made a few bars worth of drum programming, and and if he liked it he shelved it and would periodically go through them got song ideas. Said he had 1000s of them so. That's a lot to pull from.

That's similar to how this track came to be actually: I have a folder of messed up drum beats and glitches, and the main beat of that track is a spliced up sample from the loop I chose. I might have gotten the idea to make a whole batch of loops from that very same interview actually! It's a good idea though, definitely easier to get going on a track when you have an instrument tuned up and ready to use, so to speak.

Anything Vibert says must be good advice imo!

Archived