IGNORED

the Super Metroid video game thread

klore

super-metroid-super-nintendo-snes-025_m.

SUPER METROID changed for ever the video game area among few others that period and many of you have played hours discovering the huge Zebes

this game is rated in the first 50 best video game of all time on any top list you can find, and there are many reasons for this

since it's my favorite game of all time and seems i'm just being back a it now,

was wondering what are you favorite things from this game?

are you still playing to Super Metroid ?

do you have a special tricks ?

are you stuck somewhere?

and since this game is sort of a unique genre, anyone know few video games similar ?

specially this loneliness ambiance, with large spaces you can go through again and again, where you character is evolving.

here is a long play i've found good

and btw the music are fucking amazing on that game, it's mind blowing considering the period

ps: i'm french and peeps say my frenglish is cool

The music is almost too good.

The game is great, everything about it is great, I never actually completed the game.

I put many hours into it, twice in my lifetime, and both of those times I ended up getting stuck. I played long enough to know what most of the power ups were.

where did you get stuck ?

i admit first time i had trouble to crack it, even now (im actually playing now) i'm not sure i can find everything easily, which makes it more spicy :)

Just played again a few weeks ago. Is there any way to escape Tourian once you enter? The doors turn gray and your only option is to kill Mother Brain, but I'd like to get the remaining missiles & energy tanks first. Am I stuck?

Never really got into the super metroid games, though one of my favorite game series from the past Turrican is heavily inspired by it.

turrican-ii1.jpg

man this game was one of the best games i ever played.

for those into the soundtrack it sounds like it was composed on the korg wavestation. another wavestation ost is donkey kong country. I'm an avid fan of the wavestation imo.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wanted to give a shoutout to the emulator machine I use to play SNES games: the GCW zero, a linux-based handheld.
tumblr_inline_n1vs9byQzk1qzq11v.jpg
Very happy with this guy!

Really cool, been wanting to invest on a handheld emulator for a while

Wanted to give a shoutout to the emulator machine I use to play SNES games: the GCW zero, a linux-based handheld.

tumblr_inline_n1vs9byQzk1qzq11v.jpg

Very happy with this guy!

this is PERFECTION !!!!!

definitely gonna buy one

Just played again a few weeks ago. Is there any way to escape Tourian once you enter? The doors turn gray and your only option is to kill Mother Brain, but I'd like to get the remaining missiles & energy tanks first. Am I stuck?

nope you're not, once you've reached this new area, it means you don't need to improve your character that much and at this point no way back,

for sure you might have miss lot of features (who hasn't ?)

but the game is nearly finished for you.

was wondering, it supports every format ? like the .ram which is most popular these days.

i got all my files in this format, checked their site and haven't seen this mentionned

Searched the GCWzero forums & found this:

FFmpeg supports a lot of audio/video codecs and formats, but OPK includes MIME-types only for Matroska, MP4, AVI, OGG, FLAC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, Flash video (VP6), WebM video (VP8), 3gp video (3GPP), Apple Quicktime (.mov) and RealMedia (.ra, .ram, .rv, .rm, .rmvb) media files now.

FFplay is a freeware media player for GCWzero. link to thread

Super Metroid is still my favourite gaming experience of all and is a game that I try to play through at least once per year. I sub-hour'd it recently on an any% run which was definitely an accomplishment for me, though it's possible to play through in less than half that time. As with any solid game-design dedicated players are still busting SM open and discovering new ways of pushing the game to its limits and far beyond: a recent example being this 'Reverse Order Boss run' video by SaturnTAS where Ridley is the first of the big 4 taken down. This involves getting all the way through Lower Norfair with only Samus's unupgraded Power Suit:

http://youtu.be/y3THRhCgCO4?t=1m

^ (and yes I am aware that this is a TAS video, but it is still incredibly impressive).

One of the best games I have ever played.

I played it first on SNES emulator, which probably made it easier due to quicksave/quickload.

Here is a good article that explores just how subtle but brilliant the game is designed:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/9236/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php

Super Metroid is a game that I've owned for ages and never really played. I've been going back and playing SNES and NES games lately, and I think this will be the next one after I finally finish Final Fantasy IV.

Fun fact: The artists of this game were heavily influenced by H.R. Giger (who sadly passed away this year) if you really like the art style then check out some of his stuff.

I once listened to Nick Drake - Fives Leaves Left while playing this game, maybe one of the coolest experiences i've had, pls try it

For me, this game was one of those experiences that never ever leave you. like, the huge impact the music made on me, I still hear it in my own stuff; Im not trying to ape it, it just sneaks in, and listening ages later, I suddenly realize.

the Maridia themes are pure heavenly beauty made out of a handful of sounds

SM's soundtrack is ridiculously great; so much more indebted to ambient music and much more 'mature' sounding than practically any other game soundtrack from that era. It's tough to choose but this may be my favourite BGM from the game:

I love the vox midi/synth sound used in this game: not heard anything else quite like it used elsewhere.

This game is twenty years old already...damn.

But yeah, arguably the number one game for the SNES. Everything about it is amazing - the music, the artwork, power-ups and abilities...I honestly can't think of one bad thing to say about it except

Ridley is tougher than shit. Make sure you're well stocked on Missiles, Super Missiles, and Power Bombs before fighting him.

Last time I played it was on my Android phone three years ago on an emulator. But it might be time again, sooner or later.

This game is twenty years old already...damn.

But yeah, arguably the number one game for the SNES. Everything about it is amazing - the music, the artwork, power-ups and abilities...I honestly can't think of one bad thing to say about it except

Ridley is tougher than shit. Make sure you're well stocked on Missiles, Super Missiles, and Power Bombs before fighting him.

Last time I played it was on my Android phone three years ago on an emulator. But it might be time again, sooner or later.

You need to watch the video I posted above; the Ridley fight is insane because the player only has 4 etanks and an unupgraded power suit/wavebeam.

Super Metroid is still my favourite gaming experience of all and is a game that I try to play through at least once per year. I sub-hour'd it recently on an any% run which was definitely an accomplishment for me, though it's possible to play through in less than half that time. As with any solid game-design dedicated players are still busting SM open and discovering new ways of pushing the game to its limits and far beyond: a recent example being this 'Reverse Order Boss run' video by SaturnTAS where Ridley is the first of the big 4 taken down. This involves getting all the way through Lower Norfair with only Samus's unupgraded Power Suit:

http://youtu.be/y3THRhCgCO4?t=1m

^ (and yes I am aware that this is a TAS video, but it is still incredibly impressive).

holly mother fucking shmirbidy !

just watching now, that moment at 19.40 he just has 09 energy !!!!! this guy is crazy genius

great TAS video

I played it first on SNES emulator, which probably made it easier due to quicksave/quickload.

Here is a good article that explores just how subtle but brilliant the game is designed:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/9236/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php

i've checked a bit it's a great approach, well done, gonna dig more

Great article; it perfectly articulates my first experience with the game, which I will never forget, back in 1994. That moment after you defeat Kraid and acquire the Varia Suit, realizing that you can now explore Norfair, was so huge!

Damnit, well that's so eloquently put so many of the points I was going to post yesterday but lazily never did !

I first encountered the game at my friend's house, he was an early SNES adopter and had so many of the classics (Super Mario World, Final Fight, Zelda, Street Fighter II (an import which I think cost him like £120!)). So he started a new save file for me and just left me to it.

The androgynous voice suddenly kicks in: "The last metroid is in captivity. the galaxy is at peace" (bizarrely with forced German subtitles) and I'm immediately told of the entire lore having not played (nor at that time heard) either of the previous games in the series.

Bam: An empty space station whirring away. Bam: An immediate boss fight. Bam: Countdown to total destruction of the base, you traversing back the route as Mode 7 magic swings the place around. Bam: It explodes, and then ...

....a silent descent to a seemingly empty world. The slight pitter patter of rain, a planet long since forgotten and shut down. But then your journey into the heart of Crateria wakes everything back up again. The adventure awaits your exploration !

There was a point in the late 90s where I was so obsessed with the game that I used to wake up early every Saturday, go for a bike ride, come back and then complete the game from start to finish, just in time for my lunchtime shift at a restaurant. I could basically work through the whole game with pretty much muscle memory - using single wall jumps to traverse areas at breakneck speeds. This was my game !

It wasn't until I got the internet that I learnt about the mystical 'var' beam (the murder beam you get when you fight mother brain at the end) and how it could be used to completely break bits of the game. I also found mods like Super Metroid Redesign (http://drewseph.zophar.net/ - a mod of which I still can't complete without save states), learned about sequence breaks and crazy TAS demos.

But yeah, the game has a special place in my heart - a game that has been almost equalled to me by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but there's something about planet Zebes that even now I'm intrigued about. Even now I'm discovering little nuances to the map - despite completing it several dozen times.

Super Metroid. Abso-Bloody brilliant.

ps, it is possible to escape Tourian, though only with the help of the cheeky Var beams corrupting firepower -

Archived