IGNORED

the Super Metroid video game thread

klore

mcbpete : awesome, this is pretty much my relation with this game except i had a long break since i've worked extremely hard on things and other things.

i'm so glad i'm back at it now,

i may ask a ridiculous question but do you or any of you dudes and dudette know which games has this effect ?

i'm in need of games in that genre right now, where things are hidden and mysterical not a 3D stuff.

I'd say the closest that matches it was the aforementioned Castlevania: Symphony of The Night on the Playstation 1. The quality definitely matched that of Super Metroid and was half the reason from then on the genre became known as [the much derided term of] Metroidvanias.

Cave Story kinda comes close, though is a little more action shootery than the exploration of Super Metroid. Has quite a similar addictive charm though. And La Mulana also has that exploration element but is bloody rock hard.

There's a game that looks really crappy, and sounds also pretty odd but I absolutely love. It's very short, and was clearly done by a team of, well, one !, but there's just something that makes me feel content in the same way Super Metroid did - http://tomvert.free.fr/

SM's soundtrack is ridiculously great; so much more indebted to ambient music and much more 'mature' sounding than practically any other game soundtrack from that era. It's tough to choose but this may be my favourite BGM from the game:

I love the vox midi/synth sound used in this game: not heard anything else quite like it used elsewhere.

he remade this theme for metroid prime 2

but this one is still better

Last year a fellow named Blake Robinson put out a very impressive orchestral recreation of the Super Metroid OST. Normally I'm wary of these projects but this one is completely next-level, I almost cannot believe it was made with software & sample libraries:

Here's the main website for more info on the release: http://www.metroidorchestra.com/

Fully support this thread. Super Metroid is definitely my favorite game to come from the SNES and is actually in my top 3 games of all time.

Everything about this game rules but in particular the soundtrack is incredible, the items and upgrades were very interesting, and I love the speed runs and sequence breaking nature of it. I've spent a lot of time figuring out some of the quick time saving tricks like mockball, some sequence breaking, alternate strats, etc. but I'm never really tried to get the lowest time possible.

In particular, the Wrecked Ship pre-Phantoon fight really creeps me out. Norfair can sometimes be stressful, and Maridia is a lot of fun, especially once you get the space jump. It's just an amazing game with a lot of replay-ability

This is an awesome race:

ohhh this was fucking awesome check at precisely *http://youtu.be/lmfV8IhsHq0?t=21m9s* how the delay on credit lines is so close between Zoast and Ivan !!!

thx mcbpete i admit i never tried 'the symphony of the night' yet, wanted to while ago, gonna give a shot today.

today is a nerdy day

This thread has convinced me that I need to finally download super metroid for VC. Think I'll track down the prime trilogy while I'm at it

great idea, it's important you first go on Super Metroid snes, because the next ones aren't the same at all, not bad but not that standing,

This thread has convinced me that I need to finally download super metroid for VC. Think I'll track down the prime trilogy while I'm at it

The Prime series isn't bad - just doesn't seem to have the same exploration feel that the 2D ones have, I think the 3D tech oddly seems to restrict the areas of exploration and results in quite a linear feeling experience.

The VC port is perfect, so much so that you can do all the glitches to break the game as with the SNES build.

Archived