IGNORED

The sad state of the film industry

Npoess

sorry but i'm lazy enough to not read all the responses post here.

here is mine

it's an universal rule that applies in film, music, art, whatever is cultural i our pretty shitty world.

there is the same amount of quality and ingeniousness then ever, it's there, you just just have to grab it

but the big difference is it's drawn in a massive ocean of crap and shit material that have invaded the market due to the little needed investment so the margin of benefit is way bigger,

the other difference is it's now hard to avoid the crap and harder to find the good stuff.

the art quality has also mutated in a more indie materials, so we don't have big huge productions that really worth what we had in the past, because big productions require investment and quality is expensive. still there are some counterexamples, like Games of Thrones, Bilbo, lately the Leftovers for instance that bring some quality in spotlights, but they are isolated.

some will say it's not that big, fair enough but no one can not admit the effort

i'm still really satisfied in music and arts in general,

i admit i can miss some epic big movies like you've mentioned but i'm still pleased once or twice a month, plus we are grown up adult, we don't see movies like we did as a child, remember first time you saw Never-ending Story, Goonies, Jurrassic Park as a child, you can't compare this feeling as now. also the new generation is fucked, they like quantity in short length in everything, internet have made kids too impatients and too exigents on things that demand patience and exigence.

i agree the whole industry in wrong and bad, but i still think brilliant minds still create things everywhere, just not in the mainstream

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what if you want the big productions values AND the great story. The best of both worlds.

That probably sounds a bit entitled and spoiled, but there was a period in time where it was possible, so why shouldn't it be now?

Unfortunately big production values are overblown. People are spoiled by it. I know this feeling too, "ah, this low budget natural light real life imitating bore, skip". You either repair your priorities, learn to appreciate more subtle ideas than worn-out images (Taxi Driver and Alien are worn out in their initial form, you can't make it the same "cool" way today), or you've blown your dose.

i admit i can miss some epic big movies like you've mentioned but i'm still pleased once or twice a month, plus we are grown up adult, we don't see movies like we did as a child, remember first time you saw Never-ending Story, Goonies, Jurrassic Park as a child, you can't compare this feeling as now. also the new generation is fucked, they like quantity in short length in everything, internet have made kids too impatients and too exigents on things that demand patience and exigence.

no. the films you mention aren't of any value at all and that kind of stuff still gets made. as for "the new generation"'s attention span, most of "the old generation" (we're talking about 25-35 year olds anyway...) live the iphone-twitter life.

But what if you want the big productions values AND the great story. The best of both worlds.

That probably sounds a bit entitled and spoiled, but there was a period in time where it was possible, so why shouldn't it be now?

Unfortunately big production values are overblown. People are spoiled by it. I know this feeling too, "ah, this low budget natural light real life imitating bore, skip". You either repair your priorities, learn to appreciate more subtle ideas than worn-out images (Taxi Driver and Alien are worn out in their initial form, you can't make it the same "cool" way today), or you've blown your dose.

imo that has more to do with the dishonesty of a big portion of indie cinema than with its production values.

however, this points to another worrying phenomenon which is the confusion between production values and aesthetics, and which also affects videogames and music. i'm thinking for example of Ocarina of Time whose sometimes eery and jarringly dissonant art style was smoothed out in a recent remake in the name of "overcoming the technical limitations of the nintendo 64". or for example the horrible covers of early synthpop, like martyn ware making an "updated" version of Being Boiled with "actual horn samples", or Trunk Fucker Trent Reznor's shitty version of Warm Leatherette

Most people I know can't watch more than five minutes of a film without compulsively checking their texts/phones, because if you don't keep in contact with everyone every second of the day society will assume you're dead.
I went to the cinema with my little sister and she spent the entirety of the film on her phone. When it ended, she said "Was it any good?"

People can't watch anything any more, the attention span needed has long gone. This is why shit films with bad plots and pacing don't get noticed: because no-one's watching. Only film critics watch films now, and they don't even pay to watch them.

RIP Films

no. the films you mention aren't of any value at all and that kind of stuff still gets made. as for "the new generation"'s attention span, most of "the old generation" (we're talking about 25-35 year olds anyway...) live the iphone-twitter life.

i agree this "old generation" lives this twitter/phone life too, but as we have lived the former one, we know what it is and we know how appreciate moments wthout this technology

this makes a huge difference

If attention span is such a problem, how are people binge watching Nextflix series and yammering about them nonstop? Compulsive need to check one's phone is a sign that what you're watching is probably just not that good.

I think the larger problem is that the need to recoup so much money just to break even on a film results in a bunch of generic muck designed to appeal to everyone, but which really speaks to no one.

If you compare how few people need to see something like True Detective or Mad Men (or how few copies of a comic/graphic novel need to be sold) in order to keep those shows on the air to the number of people who have to see even a moderately budgeted Hollywood comedy, it's no wonder the films lack any personal touch or "atmosphere".

edit: These dumbass kids manage to read dogshit like Divergent and Matched, they can pay attention when they give a fuck.

Most of the movies are either adaptations, remakes or sequels. Very little original stuff and most of it isn't any good.

i actually had a chat about this very subject with a couple of friends and this was the general consensus: the question though is why?

in the early days, to make a movie, people had to live life first. you travelled, you worked odd jobs, you did stuff and those experiences shaped your personality and interest- and these were attributes that also influenced what kind of films you made. in other words, you had something to say.

today, most people go to college and go intern at a production company and make films based on how the last guy is making films (thus: if you're going to have action- employ the shaky cam effect to mask all mistakes that will be fixed in post) also, because of the sheer number of people making films, you have more competition to make a profit- and thus less producers willing to take risks; combined with the fact that less directors have anything interesting to say

there is also the fact that most filmmakers don't challenge an audience because that audience doesn't challenge the filmmakers. like M360 said "newer movies are appealing to a different generation". people tell the filmmakers what they want to watch by what they buy tickets for. so a film like taxi driver wouldn't be made today because the audience is too small to justify making it, at least, most producers would consider it too risky to make and would prefer to make something that has already proven popular- like transformers.

TV is where the new medium of quality entertainment is. I think we all get that now.

but have you wondered/asked why?

companies like netflix and amazon prime (and soon yahoo!) is taking bigger gambles on buying original shows because of the success of shows like orange is the new black, house of cards and hbo shows like game of thrones and true detective (hbo refused to sell game of thrones to netflix and only allowed amazon prime the rights to 1 season)

so again: it has to do with audience. if people didn't make shows like house of cards and orange is the new black successful (and people didn't sign up for netflix to get these shows) netflix would consider this venture a failure and you wouldn't see as many original shows showing up on streaming sites. remember, just a few years ago, tv was considered to be "dead" because of all the reality shows, the death of soap operas and the advent of VOD and streaming. but now, there are more original shows with "big" actors because that's what netflix proved works

Studios are playing it too safe due to the financial instability of the industry, they know that hiring rigidly generic writers and directors from narrow minded education systems will get them sure-fire financial success.

i agree with you, but do you see why they keep on doing it? studios technically function like banks. if they're making money, why would they change their business strategy? also, in the same way the studios are not taking risks making edgy experimental films, do you see how the audience doesn't take risks with their viewing habits?

most people go to the multiplex to watch movies. even the people who say they don't watch movies are referring to the major hollywood films- i haven't seen anyone say "i only go see arthouse films or experimental cinema at small micro-theaters or at the museum" so if the audience doesn't take a risk, it proves to the filmmaker there is no risk worth taking

in fact, one of the last cinematographers i worked with has had a long career making films- but he's only made b-movies. now he's had to work as a 2nd unit dp on major films, because the audience for b-movies has almost all but disappeared (so the films are fewer and further between, and the pay gets worse)

i can't even imagine how bad it is on the music side of things, but i would think it's almost 100 times worse

i haven't seen anyone say "i only go see arthouse films or experimental cinema at small micro-theaters or at the museum" so if the audience doesn't take a risk, it proves to the filmmaker there is no risk worth taking

Really? It's quite common around here, even though we only have 2 micro-theaters like that in the capital.

The theatre I usually go to is a Sundance theatre, so they get a whole bunch of stuff I wouldn't normally see at an AMC.

I live down the street from a theater that plays stuff that doesn't get a wide release along with a couple of choice multiplex things and they seem to have good taste. They also serve beer at a reasonable price. As long as there are places like that I'll still go to the theater.

TV is where the new medium of quality entertainment is. I think we all get that now.

but have you wondered/asked why?

companies like netflix and amazon prime (and soon yahoo!) is taking bigger gambles on buying original shows because of the success of shows like orange is the new black, house of cards and hbo shows like game of thrones and true detective (hbo refused to sell game of thrones to netflix and only allowed amazon prime the rights to 1 season)

so again: it has to do with audience. if people didn't make shows like house of cards and orange is the new black successful (and people didn't sign up for netflix to get these shows) netflix would consider this venture a failure and you wouldn't see as many original shows showing up on streaming sites. remember, just a few years ago, tv was considered to be "dead" because of all the reality shows, the death of soap operas and the advent of VOD and streaming. but now, there are more original shows with "big" actors because that's what netflix proved works

Yes I have asked myself why but it seems obvious.

People want to stay home and watch great stuff.

HBO changed the game from reality show addiction to story addiction.

I remember hating the Real World when it was playing on MTV. I had my fix filled by going to the theater, a lot.

shortly before that monstrous catalyst aired, Twin Peaks aired and that was the first time I can remember loving tv as much as going to the theater.

Then came the X FIles (which had me with the myth episodes but pissed me off with the monster of week eps)

then Sopranos, Lost, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Carnivale, Deadwood, etc

I had been sold on tv shows from that point on.

The sedentary lifestyle of city dwellers is at an all-time high.

We don't want to leave our homes unless we know it will be worth it

Well....... I think "the film industry" has always generally been shit. Music industry, fine art world, film, novels-- the general world of these has always been shit. But of course, "shit" is just a harsh opinion actually meaning, "mediocre".

Every decade has its memorable films, but they are a rarity for many reasons. Namely, it's tough for producers to gather a perfect screenplay, director, music people, art people, lighting people, editing people, actors- fucking all that shit. For a major film to be great, it has to have an advanced level of skill, at ALL parts of production, and that is nearly impossible. In an ideal world, concepts could go straight to screen and be incredible, but there are just too many chefs in the kitchen to ensure such a result. EVERYONE involved has to have a high understanding of the story and several aesthetic disciplines. Have one weak person/team in the production, and that could be the difference between greatness and fucking shit.

Imagine if in Jurassic Park during the epic brachiosaurus reveal scene- imagine if Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was the background music. This simple choice alone could ruin the whole fucking film.

Anyway, this "team effort" concept is the reason why Hollywood films- or any other- become shit. In Hollywood's case, the most common failing seems to be: bad director + bad screenplay. No amount of CG can turn that into gold, but just enough explosions and car flipping can turn it into a Summer blockbuster.

But being able to talk about "shit Hollywood" or other major film productions, is quite a privilege. The production values of major shit, is surprisingly high. After moving back to Japan, I'm reminded of just how horrible Japanese television and films are. The people involved in their creation have absolutely no knowledge of anything good. Kurosawa is sighing so hard right now in his grave. Japanese films make Hollywood flop Summer shits look like masterpieces.

Also, I believe the people who can produce film greatness- they hold high skillz but are lazy. So we never see them. The creative powerhouse + hard worker, is fuuucking rare. Mediocrity and hard work tend to get the most done in this world.

Archived