IGNORED

How do Netlabels get known? How to build following?

I was reading just now about some of the new netlabels that use Bandcamp to distribute cool experimental music, as well as cassettes.

A few examples include Opal Tapes, Beer on the Rug, and 1080p.

I want to say something that may get me in trouble as someone now trying to make friends and benefit myself through music, as I have no other plans in life.

After reading Factmags writeup on 1080p and listening to some of the music, I came to the objective conclusion that absolutely everything on my label is probably better than everything on theirs. And the question is, how is it that they are making money, getting reviews and attention, and finding great success while my shitty label has found none at all? I am sure this is a question many have asked.

So what gives? How does one go from being nothing as a Bandcamp label, to having a following, critical attention, etc?

How do you build a following?

The fact is, I only have so much music. I can't just spam new releases every week on various media sitesk until people start catching on. I have two laborious albums I have been working on for years that cannot stand to just be lost in the twitter feed I make in order to build followers.

What say ye?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno how much real world popularity netlabels get. Like even if you lived in hipster city you'd need to know some hella-nerds to have BotR just casually pop up in conversation. It'd mostly just be guys on 4chan shitposting about you in between neckbeard rants & paedophilia. And WATMM spergin out and/or comparing you unfavourably to ambient techno from the early 90s

Money-wise, I'd be interested to find out what these dudes actually do make

i know one of the people that runs one of these labels and it's pretty much due to having large amounts of contacts within the music-criticism-sphere and a fairly savvy/cynical eye for visual/conceptual aesthetic trends

this

I co-ran a label from December 2010 to December 2013. We had pretty good traction for not having any PR. Of course there was downtime that lasted a few months. We tried to fill in those times with mixes and podcasts. We had a few contacts with blogs and reviewers who I thought were pretty modest, but my expartner wanted more and more and when we did get some more contacts (that he dealt with) I noticed that most of them weren't interested after while. Why that is I don't know, but I think I have an idea as to why since he's the type of guy that a lot of people wouldn't want to work with. Something I realized when I called it quits back in December.

So now I'm in the process of starting a new Cassette Art Label Community. It is very close to completion and a few heads know about it (Bonding Tapes). I'm running the label anon style since I don't want it to be about me. Anyway, I'm running off course here. One thing you probably want is connections with blogs and such and keep good communication with them. Be sure that the blogs have the audience that would appeal to your output as well. I always noticed spikes in hits, listens, downloads, sales whenever a review came out. Videos might help. Tell the artists on your label to blast or repost something that you posted. Don't come off desperate or claim to have the best shit out there. Let the audience decide if its good or not. And if it is, they'll be back for the next.

Shit! I hope I can pull this off!

Vamos, one thing I've noticed is that you give off this impression of being really into your own music. There's nothing wrong with that - a little swagger comes off a lot better than some "oh i just do this for THE PUBLIC, it's a total sacrifice" act.

But I think there's a psychological element when it comes to promotion, where you don't want to overtly come off as being more into your work than the audience. Can't explain it really, I just get this vibe whenever I see some dude promoting their comic or band or blog or whatever like it's the pope's testicles

came to the objective conclusion that absolutely everything on my label is probably better than everything on theirs. And the question is, how is it that they are making money, getting reviews and attention, and finding great success while my shitty label has found none at all? I am sure this is a question many have asked.

Dunno? Better pr, better stories that sell the music / generate media interest (maybe they pay for reviews), more friends in a you scratch my back, I scratch yours kind a deal, Illuminati homies giving windows of opportunity, striking art style et cetera.

So what gives? How does one go from being nothing as a Bandcamp label, to having a following, critical attention, etc?

Why do some youtube video's go viral, others don't, content and/or timing? I don't think there is a magical formula to this, though practicing magic might help here? :-)

Some words on media;

An old acquaintance works in marketing pushing bands onto the festival circuit & media over here. There are levels to this shit, like a science how pr-dudes approach it. I have a sheet with some of the questions he asks a band, to eventually distill some kind of story from to sell to media outlets (translated from Dutch so I'm bound to get it translated shitty), maybe you can replace band, with label?;

1) What is the name of your band?

2) Name 3 core values of your band.

3) Describe your band in 3 sentences.

4) Describe your band in 1 sentence.

5) What do you want to achieve (answer can be a combination of a mission and goals)?

6) Who is your audience, what kind of audience do you want to reach? + Name 3 institutions, clubs, organizations et cetera where you can find this audience.

7) What kind of press do you want to reach, name 1 locally, 1 regionally, 1 internationally.

8) What do you need to reach your audience (make a list).

9) What do you need to reach the press (make a list).

10) With whom, which other organizations / bands / artists do you wish to cooperate with? Why are they interesting for you to work with?

11) Make a timetable and count back from the date of execution. (not sure what is exactly meant with this last bit, some kind of schedule in which you wish to have all previous questions executed?)

From the answers and back and forth discussion, he thinks of the best strategy, the best story to reach the goals, audience. Dude already has a large network to promote his talent so it is easier for him to achieve it, than doing it by yourself. He isn't afraid to lie if it helps selling the story to the press, but the artist need to be willing to participate to bend the truth, make it more interesting. He wants to be able to sell you in a few sentences, make it standout from the competition.

For example he got an artist on a popular tv program, and had the presenter read his written introduction blurp from the teleprompter. A little story with no validity, something about the particular artist locking himself in a hotel room in Hong Kong for 3 months with a crate of vinyl and a sampler. The only real truth being that the artist once went on vacation to Hong Kong... they didn't care or fact check, another hipster to fill a musical segment.

just be nonchalant, and have fun with it.. package a few of the tracks under a collection of some sort online with some uber hipster/weird art to promote it and send it off to some hipster/tastemaker friends of yours.. let them have at it, see what happens

this shit is really very clearly the best shit of the past 5 years, anywhere.

lol

yup. this is my conclusion too. have you ever considered that maybe you're wrong and what you're doing isn't as great as you think? another thing is that you might be targeting or expecting things from the type of music you're making that cannot be achieved. if you're making really experimental music, you then can't expect it to be more popular than pop music because it won't appeal to as many people. i don't even know what genre i would call this stuff you're making- i think it sounds like mash up music (which i personally dislike) so again- you could just be expecting things from it that can't happen.

Archived