IGNORED

How do Netlabels get known? How to build following?

Guest skibby

go to reddit and study the front page, then make sure everything you do has to do with nintendo, lego, cats and graphene.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting popular has tons to do with marketing. And marketing is about selling an image. I visited your netlabel bandcamp page, and unfortunately, the image you give with that page, is that the label is amateur level nonsense. I didn't listen to the music, so I'm just giving first impression.

As a sidenote, I am a graphic designer and have done tons of brand identity projects, so I'm deep in the world of image creation, promotion, all that fucking bullshit.

But just initially with your bandcamp label page or blog label page, the image of "low-level" aesthetics- intentional or not- is working. You do "shit for the sake of shit" aesthetics, and that is the vibe that you give off. The label comes off as run by people who don't even care to put the artist or release names on their album covers, and the logo is the final kick in the "wtf is this" ting.

Hyperboloid Records is mostly netlabel, but they've been outputting solid music for years. As an upside, they have a graphic designer who is very good. So when going to their website, the initial impression is that they care about aesthetics-- subsequently, that they CARE about their label. And to be good at aesthetics-- it's a skill that takes years to develop. So having good visual aesthetics already subconsciously indicates that there is years of work behind what is presented. Saying nothing with the music, their website and album cover spread shows a willingness to be solid, having attention to detail, etc. It's very apparent that they care about their label as an entity (and their artists).

How can a label be good if they have no attention to detail? This is a question that is somewhat baseless when getting down to the nitty gritty, but it's a question that doesn't have to be answered if a label has a good web presence and album covers.

Good visual aesthetic is good for even larger indies-- especially majors. Do you remember Planet Mu's site redo? They took down the phorum (RIP), redesigned everything, made everything tight and professional. So they went from the label releasing a lot of IDM and breakcore stuffs, to a label that could superficially be seen as great for releasing some dubstep hits, etc., to later, not even electronic hits. With their old look, they could not release such music, without seeming as if they're releasing out of their league. But just by superficial overhaul, they created a higher image, in which to implant themselves (into the public minds).

Okay- so there is that visual aesthetic point. The other marketing stuffs-- yah, a lot has been stated. Make a nice music video for a single off a major label release-- this gets spread on forums that have a YT Vid or Music Video thread. Have established artists release on compilations or pay like 5 dallaz to release an established artists "un-releasable" SoundCloud shitz. Have related-interest stuffs in the main homepage that portray the image and world of interest of the label, so that people follow the page through facebook or other social media, without having to necessarily be interested in the music. Send major label releases to up and coming blogs that have future potential (or even shitty ones), to review your release. Post new releases on forums in "new release" threads.

Etc. There are so many ways to promote a label... Even good art can promote a release. Remember Shitmat's One Foot In The Rave? That cover was painted by John Pound, of Garbage Pail Kids fame. If I saw that shit in the record shop, I'd be like holy shit. And even when I saw it online, I was like, "Holy fuck, they used Garbage Pail Kids artist- these dudes know what the fuck is up!" Etc.

Buuuuut overall.... I feel it's very important to have a strong BRAND IDENTITY, held together with strong visual aesthetics and good music. V/Vm Test Records had a kind of "fuck you" angle; popularity of V/Vm based on adherence of that image.

So, myaaaaaan....... Whatever you want, man. But find out what your label stands for, and show us. Hit us with what you stand for, visually, sonically, textually- everything. In a general sense, create a world that others might want to be a part of. But as far as integrity is concerned, I feel it's best to create a world that you truly believe in. Spend enough time in creating such a personal world- and if you're lucky- tons of others might also want in. (so it helps from a netlabel perspective, if people want to connect with YOU)

(p.s. NOBODY wants to be part of a lazy image. Vaporwave and all that, seems to be "anti-aesthetic", but it's mostly really well crafted visuals and covers. Tons of INTENTION in that. Hard work, mang. Again... nobody wants to be part of a lazy image.)

Guest skibby

what peace7 said.

what does popular mean? think about it for 2 seconds. it means a bunch of people you dont know identify with your product in some way. when thousands of people buy your stuff, they are really buying themselves, cause the average person doesnt do things that are too far out of their comfort zone, and most people care about themselves first and foremost. they want to look at a product and see a mirror of their ego. then they will buy whatever reinforces their ego out of fear of death pretty much.

think of the number one most important weblabel and copy all their #colors and paraphrase their whole shit.

also i forgot star wars:

18mfvl3g9kztwjpg.jpg

I think p7 nailed what i was trying to get at in my last post. Your work might be the greatest thing ever to you, but eschewing any sort of engaging aesthetic ensures that anyone who isn't exactly like you won't be able to appreciate it.

Like, even most of the artists who go on about not caring what others think still employ some kind of pop sensibility. Or they're living in a cave somewhere, serving only to inspire the other weird dudes who can successfully engage other people through art

i know one of the people that runs one of these labels and it's pretty much due to having large amounts of contacts within the music-criticism-sphere and a fairly savvy/cynical eye for visual/conceptual aesthetic trends

goldenkey.jpg

Dude A: Dude- The entertainment and music industry is such bullshit, cuz even if you're talented you gotta know someone to get your foot in the door. It's bullshit, and it's all about connections and knowing the right people. I write the best music of all time, and nobody gives a shit cuz I don't know the right people. It's bullshit.

Dude B: Since you've already got your amazing music recorded, why don't you spend your time networking, to meet the people you need to meet? If you know the game is about connections, why don't you spend your time making those connections?

Dude A: *smears own shit on face like peanut butter*

^^ Fucking lol, Peace 7.

~~

A friend of mine started a Bandcamp-only label back in late 2012 and together he & I have been slowly growing it since then. It's still first & foremost his project but I'm happy to stay in the background helping the label grow. I feel it's successful at this point, as it now has full distro and a physical release, and it continues to expand in scope and quality consistently, while still offering around 60% of the catalogue as pay-what-you-want downloads. Here's what I've learned from the process that I think are good pointers if you're trying to promote your netlabel.

-Send Music To DJs

Get tunes to radio DJs that will get your label's music to a wider audience. If people like what they hear, they will Google the songs and find your label as a result. They will then spread the label by word of mouth. If your music is too weird-IDM-noodling for it to be in a mix or played in a club (I'm assuming this is the case, haven't checked it out), then it's probably not going to reach anything more than a niche audience, but consider sending stuff to the eclectic DJs on Radio 1 or finding ones that rep more experimental electronic music on radio shows & podcasts. DJs love getting fresh undiscovered music and will happily rep something if they think it is good, and most DJs are more approachable than you think with Twitter & Soundcloud and what have you. If the music isn't niche IDM stuff and is straight-up beats, then it shouldn't be that hard to find DJs that rep that tempo/style. They're everywhere these days, and a lot of them have audiences numbering in the multiple thousands.

-Seek Out & Release Music From Artists With Established Bases

This is an important one. Part of the way homie grew his label was by having every 4th or 5th release be by a 'bigger' name. The rest of the releases were his own and those of his undiscovered yet talented friends (the reason he started the label in the first place), yet he would make sure to seek out artists who already had install bases but were not massive enough to be completely unapproachable, or get releases from local hometown hero artists that never broke big internationally, but got the local promoters attention and allowed us to play gigs in our own city regularly. Releasing music from artists that already have fans causes both the artists & their fans to check out the rest of your catalog, even if it's only once out of pure curiosity. If the music is as good as you say it is, they will tell all their friends and post it on the social medias.

-Maintain A Positive Attitude

You are the face of your label. Keep in mind that WATMM and social media posts are very Google-able when throwing other artists or labels under the bus. Also keep in mind that your words and actions reflect on all the artists on your label. Saying "my shit is better than all this other shit" not only doesn't look appealing to anyone unfamiliar with your work, it also may very well turn off people already associated with you. Granted I really don't think you have anything to worry about re: this thread, as I highly doubt anyone not already regularly browsing EKT will see it, but I do think it's a good thing to keep in mind going forward if you're trying to network and get your stuff out there through other avenues. Have a beer with your mates and chat allllll the shit you want, just keep it off of the permanent-documentation nightmare that is the internet. It's very possible to big up yourself and your own work without throwing anyone else under the bus.

-Network

Yeah this has been mentioned a few dozen times already, but it's the most important part. The barrier of entry for electronic music these days is simply owning a computer, which every human over 8 years old does. The landscape is so swamped with mediocrity that even if you put out the most amazing thing ever written, it's not going to mean shit if it's not touted by someone with some kind of influence, be it a blogger or DJ. Think of all your favorite musical acts and how you discovered them. Were you just randomly trawling through every Soundcloud & Bandcamp page until you found something good? I doubt it. Chances are someone told you to check so-and-so out, or you saw it on a blog, or you noticed one release in particular had a 10 page thread on WATMM, or maybe some Youtube music reviewer whose taste you really gel with gave a rave review of something and you checked it out. Who knows. Point is, those channels are where you should be investing your energy. Yeah it's inspiring that Burial makes amazing music anonymously while Kode 9 does all the work for him, but this is the exception, not the rule. You don't have a Kode 9. You have to put in the hours networking if you want your label/music to amount to anything.

I hope you find some of that helpful!

Ok so I typed all that massive thing just trying to be helpful and nice and then clicked some of the links you posted.

This Groof album is some of the worst shit I've ever heard and the ironic Geocities-esque aesthetics of your website are headache inducing. Maybe delete everything and start over is more helpful advice for you at the level you're at. Also, become friends with a graphic designer.

I know that Stephen who runs Opal Tapes makes a living off it, so it's possible. But to back up what's been said so far: try and get some established names in there. If you're putting out stuff, do it in batches. Three tapes / CDrs / a vinyl and a couple of tapes and an mp3, whatever. Get people in with one name they know and offer them a financial incentive to get some unknown stuff alongside it.

A strong visual image - either a house style (common amongst tape labels - check out Tranquility for a great consistency if you're not familiar with them), or a series of strong, striking covers. If you or the artists can't put together a cover that isn't at least as good at 75% of your favourite album covers, ask a friend or acquaintance who's into graphic design, or just generally has a good eye. I have to agree with others that the Corn Cat page looks, at best, anonymous (and at worst, really quite poor.)

Physical product - what makes you stand out from every other fucker with a cracked copy of Reason and a Bandcamp account? Even if you're only doing occasional physical releases, it really gives people something to look forward to, and shows that you're putting the effort in.

Networking / marketing / PR - the part where other people come into it - is the hard bit, where you have to start 'selling' yourself and your wares. Suddenly you're not an artist, you're a businessman. This has always been a stumbling block with me, as I hate all that side of things, and you've got to have a strong mind for this kind of thing.

There are hundreds of sites and blogs that review music, announce new releases, play stuff on podcasts and radio. A lot of them take digital submissions. Do lots and lots and lots of research. Look at other labels and artists, and find every review of their stuff - and make a note of where it is. Keep a long list of sites that are open to underground music. When you contact people, use their real names. Don't just send out an anonymous "hi listen to my tracks" email and BCC everyone into it, but try and make it personal. Reply and stay in touch with people. Use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Soundcloud, forums (be a regular member, don't just turn up to announce your latest release and disappear.) Try and be a part of different, separate communities. There's no point in just sticking to the same few sites who have a huge overlap in members and covered artists - you're effectively only talking to one group of people. There are countless experimental/electronic music scenes out there, most of which are open minded. Connect with lots of them! Meet new people.

Other stuff - videos, compilations - have been covered, and are all great.

Oh, and a personal recommendation: don't use the word netlabel. Depending on your experience, it really can suggest 'kid uploading his mates Fruityloops music to an archive.org account and calling it a label' ie 1 2 3.

Ok so I typed all that massive thing just trying to be helpful and nice and then clicked some of the links you posted.

This Groof album is some of the worst shit I've ever heard and the ironic Geocities-esque aesthetics of your website are headache inducing. Maybe delete everything and start over is more helpful advice for you at the level you're at. Also, become friends with a graphic designer.

Tip.

Related: After sampling each release on your label, I can safely say these albums on 1080p are objectively better than anything you've released. I probably could've picked any album on 1080p, and it wouldn't have made a difference.

https://1080pcollection.bandcamp.com/album/xerox

https://1080pcollection.bandcamp.com/album/tulpa

I also don't think the name Corn Cat is doing anything positive for you. Cheers.

i think he's gone guys....let's talk about eggs instead.

I do a fucking lovely poached egg. nice and runny yolk served on wholewheat bread with cracked black pepper. mmmmmm...

all other criticisms aside, the last release original posters net label had was in 2011 (as far as i can tell on bandcamp). You can't really expect any label to get attention with a 3 year lapse in releasing, at that point a lot of people would just assume (And rightly so) that your label is defunct

Guest skibby

i mean, whats a label anyway? on reflection its sort of boring to think of a label as being popular rather than the music that is being put out.

maybe read the KLF manual and do outlandish antics

Guys, my parents have chickens so I get fresh eggs all the time. That shit is the bomb.

I usually make scrambled egg/turkey bacon/swiss cheese/habanero mango salsa tacos with them, that's sort of my go-to these days. It's delish.

But really, eggs rule. Love them over easy, love omelets, deviled eggs, you name it.

Archived