IGNORED

Jon Brooks - 52

Zorro

Jon (Advisory Circle) Brooks has an LP coming out on Clay Pipe in October. 500 copies only, the usual gorgeous artwork.

From Clay Pipe:

cover_small.jpg

Jon Brooks' new album '52' will be released on the 13th Oct 2014, with pre-orders available a couple of weeks before. Limited to 500 vinyl copies with download code.

The album was inspired by his Grandmothers' house where he lived as a child, and contains 14 aural memories of the house and garden.

“... will you stop tearing up that newspaper? It’s making a mess down here”. I sat quietly
and watched the pieces float from the mezzanine, through the railings, down to the floor
below. I was reminded of late autumn, when dried seed helicopters from the trees were
abundant - their free-flowing nature always a reminder of our life cycles. It was an early
meditation; something to help focus the restless mind.

Silence broke eventually. “They all come from Leafield. They head from there with the
purpose of making our lives difficult!”. I wasn’t entirely convinced, but I let it go. I thought of
their colonies, their families, the way they moved and went about their business - it was a
fascinating other world, where everyone looked out for each other. Always a lucky escape
for them, through the hum of a summer evening.

“Doctor of Philosophy. That’s what it means, it’s an abbreviation”. I wondered, as I pulled
another thick rubber band around the arm of the sofa. The structures I made seemed to
serve no purpose at all; they didn’t need to.

“... I’m resting up for the weekend”. I always noticed that. The pencil sharpener, the cuckoo
clock, everything in its’ place. The way the dust fell in the late afternoon sun. I wouldn’t
leave.

On the way back up the hill, we passed the three monkeys. “Do you think you’ll go to
college?”. “I think so”, I answered, not really knowing why I’d chosen that reply. The words
flutter-echoed through the stone and brick, in the heat of the day; all the way past Mr
Mulberry’s, Mrs Viner’s, Mrs Mouser’s.

SIDE 1
Morning Window
The Mezzanine
Fibre Optics
Pond i
Hothouse
All The Way From Leafield
December Trees

SIDE 2
The Back Room
Lichen
Walk In Store
Pond ii
Wax Lemons
Whispering Glass
End Of The Corridor

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno, even the stuff he does under his own name still has his stamp on it. If it's anything like his previous work it'll be great. Haven't seen anything about samples etc yet, but the release it still a ways out

I hope there'll be a CD or digital. I really dig the vast majority of his work. Not about to order vinyl from the UK though!

Same here. It's not so much the cost of the vinyl + download, but the shipping that makes it prohibitive for me. I want this to show up on his bandcamp, or be otherwise released in a digital format.

I hope there'll be a CD or digital. I really dig the vast majority of his work. Not about to order vinyl from the UK though!

Ah come on, it's fun!

Yeah, if you have lots of money to throw around :cisfor: .

Same here. It's not so much the cost of the vinyl + download, but the shipping that makes it prohibitive for me. I want this to show up on his bandcamp, or be otherwise released in a digital format.

Wow, never heard of jon brooks. poking around the bandcamp, I'm finding lots of nice things things!

Anyone with specific recommendations? Though I may just grab the whole bandcamp discography =)

PS getting some serious pye corner audio vibes from this, though it's not as sparse.

Wow, never heard of jon brooks. poking around the bandcamp, I'm finding lots of nice things things!

Anyone with specific recommendations? Though I may just grab the whole bandcamp discography =)

PS getting some serious pye corner audio vibes from this, though it's not as sparse.

Grab everything he's done as The Advisory Circle, on Ghost Box. Brilliant. Also his Dieter Rams releases. I think he took down the Georges Vert bandcamp page, but if it's back up, that album comes very recommended if you like Italo disco and 70s lounge stuff. The Applied Music album is good, but I don't listen to that as much as the rest.

Grab everything he's done as The Advisory Circle, on Ghost Box. Brilliant. Also his Dieter Rams releases. I think he took down the Georges Vert bandcamp page, but if it's back up, that album comes very recommended if you like Italo disco and 70s lounge stuff. The Applied Music album is good, but I don't listen to that as much as the rest.

Seconded, also he did a remix exchange with PCA. His stuff is incredible. My favorite would probably be As the Crow Flies as Advisory Circle, but you can hardly go wrong starting just about anywhere.

Edit: didn't realize he'd taken the Georges Vert EP down. Wonder why? Was my least favorite of his anyway.

Seconded, also he did a remix exchange with PCA. His stuff is incredible. My favorite would probably be As the Crow Flies as Advisory Circle, but you can hardly go wrong starting just about anywhere.

Edit: didn't realize he'd taken the Georges Vert EP down. Wonder why? Was my least favorite of his anyway.

it was picked up by a label (melodic records).

very interested to listen to this btw

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Witch Cults LP

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I feel like I'm floating in some weird dream, surrounded by tons of releases by tons of pseudonyms of this guy, all of which isn't too close to any other music I know (except pye corner audio occasionally). Still trying to make sense of it all.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I feel like I'm floating in some weird dream, surrounded by tons of releases by tons of pseudonyms of this guy, all of which isn't too close to any other music I know (except pye corner audio occasionally). Still trying to make sense of it all.

scratch that: I get tons of contemporary classical vibes .......

Check his Ghost Box label mate Belbury Poly and Moon Wiring Club (for whom he masters and with whom he sometimes collablorates).

The Jon Brooks discography is actually quite simple:

King of Wolworths (Lo records, pre-hauntology)

Main stuff:

Advisory Circle (Ghost Box)

Anything on Cafe Caput (His label: Georges Vert, DD Denham, The Applied Music "Comp" and under his own name)

His (soon to be) two albums under his own name on Clay Pipe

Brief other stuff:

Collabs with John Foxx and Jim Jupp as The Belbury Circle (Ghost Box)

Brooks and O'Hagan (Ghost Box)

3 tracks as himself, Kno and The Original Uptown Sycophants on Down to the Silver Sea)

If you're new to his stuff, track down his Ghost Box releases (including an appearance on the studies' series or two) and check out his Cafe Kaput stuff on Bandcamp.

As the Crow Flies, with selected tracks from Mind How You Go and Other Channels has been a requested CD by my two little boys as we make our summer foray into the coastal wood of downeast Maine every summer.

Check his Ghost Box label mate Belbury Poly and Moon Wiring Club (for whom he masters and with whom he sometimes collablorates).

The Jon Brooks discography is actually quite simple:

King of Wolworths (Lo records, pre-hauntology)

Main stuff:

Advisory Circle (Ghost Box)

Anything on Cafe Caput (His label: Georges Vert, DD Denham, The Applied Music "Comp" and under his own name)

His (soon to be) two albums under his own name on Clay Pipe

Brief other stuff:

Collabs with John Foxx and Jim Jupp as The Belbury Circle (Ghost Box)

Brooks and O'Hagan (Ghost Box)

3 tracks as himself, Kno and The Original Uptown Sycophants on Down to the Silver Sea)

If you're new to his stuff, track down his Ghost Box releases (including an appearance on the studies' series or two) and check out his Cafe Kaput stuff on Bandcamp.

As the Crow Flies, with selected tracks from Mind How You Go and Other Channels has been a requested CD by my two little boys as we make our summer foray into the coastal wood of downeast Maine every summer.

heh, thanks, but don't worry I already loaded up a massive playlist with something like 12 albums. You definitely listed a few things I had missed though, so thanks.

(In addition to all the glorious help here, discogs has definitely been my friend.)

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. After poking around his music all weekend I ended up grabbing the two "advisory circle" full length albums, as well as nearly everything currently up on the "cafe kaput" bandcamp. It's too bad shapwick has no current downloadable release. I still need more time to form a real opinion on this music, but continue to find it very interesting and inventive, and will keep listening.

• 1 month later...

Archived