IGNORED

Reason 8

Rubin Farr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I love Reason. Still using v. 5 because I can't afford the dongle. But I still love it.

I will say it's shit though that Propellerheads sell their own devices in that rack extension shop. Those are things that should come with updates. Don't make people pay 200 for an upgrade and then another 75 for devices that they simply chose not to include. Wtf

• 2 weeks later...

on the topic of reason... did they upgrade the vocoder in 8? can anyone get anything to sound good with the vocoder in 7? i don't know if the bandwidth is too low, but i can never get anything to come through enough so it just sounds like fuzzy synth to me. and i need to limit the hell out of it because invariably and inexplicably there's some crazy asymmetric volume thing where some part of the sample that's a bit loud comes through has super loud and everything else gets muffled. jeez.

I stop using Reason years ago but I remember getting some nice stuffs out of the BV512, using the 512 bands, and doing a lot of CV mods/feedback to keep the carrier and modulator as close as possible to each other when it came to enveloppe/amplitude. It made stuffs much more pleasant and articulate, less messy. IIRC, I used Thor's audio input as a kind of audio to CV converter.

on the topic of reason... did they upgrade the vocoder in 8? can anyone get anything to sound good with the vocoder in 7? i don't know if the bandwidth is too low, but i can never get anything to come through enough so it just sounds like fuzzy synth to me. and i need to limit the hell out of it because invariably and inexplicably there's some crazy asymmetric volume thing where some part of the sample that's a bit loud comes through has super loud and everything else gets muffled. jeez.

I can get it to sound very recognizable. Especially at 512 bands.

The EQ is fucked though. The vocoder has a really bad way of splitting and merging the signals together, so you get all kinds of artifacts. If you just put audio in, and send it out, without adjusting the audio or using a modulator frequency, it'll sound noticeably different.

I love Reason. Still using v. 5 because I can't afford the dongle. But I still love it.

I like my reason 5 too (I didn't want to get the dongle, I know that they since then also has hardware auth.) I use it mostly for quick and easy midi-editing, but has also done lots of tracks with it. It's really fast and efficient! I'm not interested in the RE-plugs, I prefer to be able to use my plug ins elsewhere too...

Archived