IGNORED

Robin Williams has died.

NorthernFusion

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Fisher King is the first movie I thought of as well.

Robin Williams was a major part of my childhood - Aladdin, Hook, Jumanji in particular.

Also, this is the most eerie ways I've found out about a celebrity death. My friend posted this, not sure who sent him it originally. About 3 minutes after I read it, EW broke the news that he passed away.

jeez 8/

I listen to a 24hr stand-up comedy stream often while sleeping and they often played his bits from the 80's/90's. His stand-up was very interesting. Always well thought out and pretty deep, thoughtful stuff. And of course Mork & Mindy, Dead Poets Society, Awakenings, The FIsher King. But thinking back to my childhood what role I probably watched 50 times is the movie Popeye. Rest in Peace funny man.

he did a fantastic interview with Michael Parkinson back in the day and I can definitely attest to his spazziness. as soon as he got on he raved for 5 mins straight before Parky even asked his first question. he was straight manic. I miss him.

also I recall that one of the other guests on that episode of the show was Stephen Fry, who is was :sad: mates with Robin, and who seemed to have similar problems (depression etc). I wonder how he feels. wonder if he sees things differently now.

This a bit of an afterthought, but another cool aspect of his career was his perennial USO tours. Save for Bob Hope and Louis CK, I can't think of a celebrity of that notability who toured so often to entertain American troops in combat zones. He did it in a very modest and low-key manner too.

^ yeah, I'm not sure I care too much for that, joshy. it actually kind of bugs me. I respect your military pedigree and all but I don't think war and entertainment mix very well.

hate the game not the player. For all my anti-war stuff, i don't see the US soldiers in general as objects of ire, their uniform yes, but not the young men inside them that signed up for an adventure that they really have no political understanding of.

i can see where you're coming from though. Let's eat cotton candy whilst we bomb these babies.

depression is a fucker. he could have spent the rest of his life sailing around the world on a hundred foot yacht with a private chef and 20 supermodel whores, having supplies air-dropped periodically from helicopters.

before i knew it was an apparent suicide i suspected it, seeing rip robin williams on twitter. now his family and everyone he knew have to live with this. how terrible.

rip

^ yeah, I'm not sure I care too much for that, joshy. it actually kind of bugs me. I respect your military pedigree and all but I don't think war and entertainment mix very well.

hate the game not the player. For all my anti-war stuff, i don't see the US soldiers in general as objects of ire, their uniform yes, but not the young men inside them that signed up for an adventure that they really have no political understanding of.

i can see where you're coming from though. Let's eat cotton candy whilst we bomb these babies.

Nah, I understand. It's more morale boosting for the often low-ranking bastards out in the field, a mental break from the stress of combat. That's how I look at it. It's a touchy subject for me - let me put it this way, there's quite a few reasons I'm one of the few in my immediate family who never served. I often find myself feeling uneasy at the glorification or nonchalant portrayal of the U.S. military in movies and tv shows. Like Ironman's injection of the Taliban in the plot of a 2008 film. Fucking weird to me. It's surreal and disturbing to think about how long we've been sending troops to Afghanistan, Williams had been visiting since 2002.

If anything we need more absurd comedians for those gigs - ones who have said some pretty edgy and controversial stuff about war and politics in the past; it's usually overly patriotic CMT country artists, WWE wrestlers, and NASCAR drivers. I'll be honest, that lean towards "non-Hollywood" entertainers only reinforces a lot of bad superficial social divisions in the U.S. - the who "flyover country" versus the "elitists" on the coasts. It's condescending even. Williams stood out as one of the few really famous entertainers. Better yet are guys like Louis CK or Lewis Black because they curse and tell stupid dick jokes without restraint. I always liked this video (audio sucks, sorry) because most of the audience had no idea who he was at the time...

Archived