IGNORED

WATMM travel thread

usagi

Shit, been here for a week and it's like a constant party. Rum and reggae day in and out. Booked a flight to St. Vincent on thursday. Maybe it's more chilled out over there.

Yeah, Jamaica is a bit iffy (one of the world's highest murder rates, etc.). I guess outside of Kingston and Spanish Town it's relatively safe. Have to see whether I'll be going there.

Maybe I'll go to Martinique and Dominica to hike after St. Vincent.

I'd like to visit the Caribbean. Might just cop out and do a cruise though, or all inclusive. Can't say I'd feel safe backpacking there?

vietnam in may this year. Ho-chi-minh city May 2nd, the along the coast for 20ish days. Can't wait to see ha-long bay.

Edited by StephenG

Got confirmation I'll be getting paid to go to NK later this year. Now to see if I can't get money for going to Japan and Burma again.

wow that's exciting man. What will you be doing in north korea? be careful!

Stuff. Can't really say until after it takes place. It's not espionage or anything like that though lol.

Sounds like something someone would say before they go on a deep cover espionage mission to me.

Stuff. Can't really say until after it takes place. It's not espionage or anything like that though lol.

Sounds like something someone would say before they go on a deep cover espionage mission to me.

should delete these messages in case NK has you hacked and speculates.

I'd like to visit the Caribbean. Might just cop out and do a cruise though, or all inclusive. Can't say I'd feel safe backpacking there?

vietnam in may this year. Ho-chi-minh city May 2nd, the along the coast for 20ish days. Can't wait to see ha-long bay.

I'd say most of the islands in Caribbean are absolutely fine for independent traveling safety-wise but just not cheap. Here in Barbados if I go alone at night people try to sell me weed and cocaine constantly but other than that I've felt safe. There are just some neighborhoods to stay out of if you're alone after dark.

I'd say most of the islands in Caribbean are absolutely fine for independent traveling safety-wise but just not cheap. Here in Barbados if I go alone at night people try to sell me weed and cocaine constantly but other than that I've felt safe. There are just some neighborhoods to stay out of if you're alone after dark.

Maybe I'll check it out next year! thanks for your opinion on it. I have friends from Jamaica so they would help set me up I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing my trip.. I spent a week in St. Lucia in Gros Islet, Soufrière and Castries. Gros Islet village is probably the cheapest place I've been to this trip yet but a bit dilapidated. It was a surreal place for me. Then came to Fort-de-France, Martinique by a ferry on sunday. There has been a carnival going on for the last three days.

Also found out that the Prodigy's Voodoo People video was filmed in St. Lucia. I wonder why they don't use that in tourism promotion.. :cisfor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qngu59oAngE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Dominica now. Arrived today. Seems really interesting so far. Worlds apart from Martinique.

But just to vent I wanted to list some fucking animal related things I hate when I travel in the tropics and developing countries..

Mosquitoes - Oh dear lord I hate mosquitoes. Apart from the fact that they spread all kinds of deadly diseases (malaria, dengue, chikungunya) and make you paranoid as fuck, I also get huge fucking swollen spots on my skin from their bites. The Asian mosquitoes seem to be the worst. Once I almost couldn't open my other eye because of a mosquito bite in the eye brow. If there was a scroll of genocide I'd just fucking wipe them off the Earth.

Stray dogs - All cuddly wuddly and begging during the day time and with other people around, but come night time you better bring a stick, cane or an umbrella because if you are out alone and step into their territory they're going to be all "You're in a wrong neighborhood, pal!". People get killed by these bastards. They can be vicious as fuck.

Roosters - You wanted to sleep late because of a hangover? Guess again, motherfucker! 5AM wake-up call coming!

Cows - Yes, it's very funny seeing cows roam freely in urban areas, but once you get a fucking herd running at you down a street it's hard to see the funny side anymore.

I've heard that monkeys can be a bunch of bastards but so far I haven't had problems with them. But if they come to steal my beer I'm gonna go all temple of doom on them.

Rats and cockroaches.. annoying but don't drive me mad that much.

Travelled all around Brazil recently. Amazing country. Fernando de Noronha was lush as fuck (recent winner of Trip Advisor's World's Best Beach award). Rio was great fun. Sao Paulo nightlife was sick but city was bit too big to get head around. Top drugs. Pretty edgy. Massively racist against gringos. Got fucked over left, right and centre. Would recommend and will return.

• 1 month later...

So, it's my 12th week traveling. The route so far has been Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Antigua, Sint Maarten, Curaçao and now I'm in Panama.

Panama City is a nice change from all the small Caribbean islands. But I'll be going back to the Caribbean because next Monday I'll be flying to Cuba for three weeks. It'll probably cut down my internet access a lot. Will be interesting. So excited to see Cuba.

• 1 month later...

Spent the weekend in Manama, Bahrain on business. Beautiful skyline, overpriced everything. Arabic MTV was a LOL, and drinking cider in the airport "Irish Pub" was a godsend while waiting for my flight.

9DC95353-70F8-4B51-8ACB-5696D82CA412_zps

New scientist says we're in for a five meter sea rise over the next century and fifteen meters if we keep pumping in CO2, so you won't have to worry about that place being around for long, or many places really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I came back to Finland from Central America for a week and I'm now boarding a plane to Reykjavik..