IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

i have had many concerns regarding the new star wars films, with my top concern being that mark hamill will look like an oversized bloated frog on screen and it will be awkward to look at.

recent pictures have actually eased that concern though.

mark-hamill-on-star-wars-episode-vii-set

mark-hamill-revealed-his-star-wars-episo

now that my mark hamill concern is out of the way, i'm more worried that the films won't be great. i expect them to be good (based on who's writing, directing. disney handling marvel films and marvel films having been killing it recently. there's not much to be worried about when it comes to whos handling the films). i'm sort of just worried they won't really be great though.

it's like, if the films are shit, there's no loss, because we as a generation have already been immensely disappointed by the prequels and at this point the people that are truly invested and care about the new films are in the minority (compared to when before episode 1 came out). more shitty star wars films is of no real detriment to the series or the fans.

for the films to be good but not great means we'll have weird mixed and conflicted feelings, arguments. and films not worth remembering.

i'm sort of just looking forward to getting excited really close to the release date, seeing the films at the cinema and enjoying them at least once.

No fear, Mark has been working out every day for past 6 months, Carrie lost 40 lbs with her trainer. I'm not saying it will make their acting any better, but we won't have to face the bloated return of characters that Star Trek saw.

I think running up to this movie's first trailer (let alone the premiere) will elicit the excitement everyone felt when the first trailer for Episode I came out (The Phantom Menace) - I know I was incredibly excited to see Star Wars again after such a long time - too bad the movie was a precursor of what was to come with the other two movies. They're not bad movies - just not up to the calibre they should have been.

I have confidence Disney won't let this be anything other than the trilogy we should have gotten after the original one...

I was excited when it was first announced that Abrams would do the new film (I mean, his "Star Trek" films were basically his demo reel for Star Wars, which is what he admitted he really wanted in the first place). But these leaked pics are worrying me a bit: the armor looks too "clean": I though that JJ understood that one of the things that works so well in the original trilogy is the "used-universe" look helps to sell the believability of what's on-screen. One of the problems I have with the prequels is the sterility of it all: it's not dirty or damaged enough in appearance to believe that people actually live there.

Oh well, maybe the lens flares will make me forget about this complaint, since we will only be able to see about 75% of the screen, anyway.

Guest skibby

if george lucas can make a star wars film without linear wipes, i will be extra proud.

it would be like EDM without the tapestop effect.

STAR+WARS+WIPE+2.jpg

But these leaked pics are worrying me a bit: the armor looks too "clean" ...

How about this X-wing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pejGxBjdlQ

See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4-4wnsZtc

I think JJ is a good choice for this but everyone has to remember:

- No movie in 2015 is ever going to be as exciting as the original Star Wars was back in 1977. The world is so different now and Star Wars has become part of the background lore of pop culture - no new shiny media thing in the 21st century is ever going to have the same impact

- Star Wars is ultimately an adventure series about space magic and sword fights and robots that whistle and anthropomorphic aliens that play musical instruments. Its not really going to rock your world or deliver anything groundbreaking

So hope for a nice adventure romp with a good script and good cast. But there's no point hoping for it to blow everyones mind.

The ability for a piece of media to blow everyone's mind has moved on to computer games, imho.

Kevin Smith is also extremely excited after visiting the set and seeing footage, apparently he broke down in tears and it made him "feel like my 8 year old self again" "Star Wars fans are gonna come, hard."

He also said Revenge of the Sith is fucking awesome. And he's a twat.

just I hope they'll reduce George Lucas' influence in the actual filmmaking to a very minimum...

if george lucas can make a star wars film without linear wipes, i will be extra proud.

edit:

I was hoping George Lucas would have absolely nothing to do with it anymore, given that he sold Lucasfilm to disney.

However sounds like 'JJ is talking to Lucas constantly'

Hopefully, if JJ has any sense, the conversation is going something like this:

Lucas: "... And make sure you've got a comedy alien that steps in dog poo! And don't forget to have lots of characters walking slowly past greenscreen talking about boring jedi bollocks!"

JJ: "... Yep, certainly George, just jotting that down now!" - sound of scribbling - "Well, gotta go!"

JJ puts down phone. Shakes head. Screws up notepaper and throws in bin.

I hope they dedicate a good chunk of the running time to the scientific study of midi-chlorians.

Kevin Smith is also extremely excited after visiting the set and seeing footage, apparently he broke down in tears and it made him "feel like my 8 year old self again" "Star Wars fans are gonna come, hard."

He also said Revenge of the Sith is fucking awesome. And he's a twat.

Kevin Smith cries at everything. He cried at Affleck in the new bat suit

• 4 weeks later...

Archived