IGNORED

AN APHEX TWIN BLIMP IS FLYING OVER LONDON

funkaholic

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, messiaen (I think) told us Aphex told him he wanted to do more suprise gigs. Two have happened this last month or so (Glastonbury and that festival in Cornwall recently?) and now there is an Aphex blimp with apparently a large DJ booth next to it... 1+1=2?

"there's a big DJ booth at the beer festival where the blimp was but I'm not hopeful"

https://twitter.com/heyjackcooper/status/500679980352032768

Is there any noise? By any chance?

There is an apparently sold out beer festival next to the blimp organised by Oval Space. That's it. Nothing but the blimp hanging on a rusty old truck!

The guy that first tweeted about all this says this:

"Staff saying the blimp is about "an event that's been cancelled". THEN EXPLAIN WHY THERE'S STILL A BLIMP #aphextwin #takingthistooseriously"

"Just asked DJ at beer festival if anything is happened re: Aphex Twin and he smiled knowingly and shrugged. Kicking out time in 25 minutes"

"Doors reopen at 7, I don't have £35 to spare so won't be tweeting if anything does happen"

https://twitter.com/heyjackcooper/with_replies

ah man, if i wasn't broke i would go pay £35 with the risk of feeling a fool

Any other people nearby that wants to try :biggrin: ?

come on beerwolf go get drunk next 2 the afx blimp

Heh, I'd love to but I'm getting drunk on a train going to Belgium, coming to find Ivan Ooze to have a drunken Aphexian Style wrestle!!!

is a sign

our king has returned

the blimp itself could be some kind of... message, maybe like a metaphor.

like.. he's got a bit overweight?? (maybe just letting us know so we aren't too surprised)

So, messiaen (I think) told us Aphex told him he wanted to do more suprise gigs. Two have happened this last month or so (Glastonbury and that festival in Cornwall recently?) and now there is an Aphex blimp with apparently a large DJ booth next to it... 1+1=2?

"there's a big DJ booth at the beer festival where the blimp was but I'm not hopeful"

but what's the motive behind surprise gigs? I think he's slowly building a hype - for something. anyway, that's what I want to believe

It's the British Beer Fest at Olympia. I know some old cunts who are going today, to quaff ale and smoke old fashioned pipe.

If Aphex appears in a cloud of dry ice and lasers, playing tunes? those geezers gonna fucking die of heart attacks lol or think they gone insane!

Thanks for keeping us updated Spiral! You're going to the festival?

but what's the motive behind surprise gigs? I think he's slowly building a hype - for something. anyway, that's what I want to believe

Main motive would be to have an audience with no expectations and will focus more on the music then just watching/staring the guy because of his name. He seems to have a thing with getting rid of massive expectations. Of course if he would show up now there are too much expectations now, so this time it's just hype I guess :)

Doesn't look very official. Could just be someone having a laugh.

It seems pretty legit. People there have asked and it was confirmed that it was Warp behind it but couldn't tell more. Also you have the Aphex graffiti logos showing up in the streets of NYC.

Guest jasondonervan

So what other marketing campaigns did Warp do for previous Aphex albums? Besides filling a whole record store with nothing but Drukqs albums together with that Rubber Johnny commercial (the only thing I really witnessed consciously)?

The real mysterious puzzle stuff for TH really fitted BoC, don't that will be the case here but it's going great so far :biggrin:

Never heard about the shop full of Drukqs though, that's cool.

http://www.aphextwin.nu/news/100272041618200.shtml

zq950V2.jpg

OMG THANK YOU

I've been looking for this picture for years, I thought I'd completely imagined it. This was on warp.net when Drukqs was released, right? GIVE ME CLOSURE

Archived