01. Made of Metal
02. Clearing
03. Call Across Rooms
04. Labyrinth
05. Lighthouse
06. Holofernes
07. Holding
08. Made of Air

Kranky release 'Ruins' on October 31st 2014.

grouper_ruins_artwork.jpg

"Ruins was made in Aljezur, Portugal in 2011 on a residency set up by Galeria Zé dos Bois. I recorded everything there except the last song, which I did at mother's house in 2004. Iʼm still surprised by what I wound up with. It was the first time Iʼd sat still for a few years; processed a lot of political anger and emotional garbage. Recorded pretty simply, with a portable 4-track, Sony stereo mic and an upright piano. When I wasnʼt recording songs I was hiking several miles to the beach. The path wound through the ruins of several old estates and a small village.

The album is a document. A nod to that daily walk. Failed structures. Living in the remains of love. I left the songs the way they came (microwave beep from when power went out after a storm); I hope that the album bears some resemblance to the place that I was in."

Guest bitroast

"stripped down" mode of grouper is my least favorite, but still, always eager for new stuff by her.

Yess im cautious of this one for that reason.

Still tho i generally love everything shes done/her as an artist and will be checking this one by oblig fandom

i'm curious about the "Recorded pretty simply, with a portable 4-track, Sony stereo mic and an upright piano" part.

it specifies the album was recorded in 2011. this track Cassiopeia appeared in compilation album for japan in 2011. perhaps an indication of things to expect??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFLf75Qkso

yes, I hope so. Piano Grouper is my favourite kind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=356PNNkb5ys

Guest bitroast

"stripped down" mode of grouper is my least favorite, but still, always eager for new stuff by her.

living room?

probably my favourite on the album ^^

( but that may also have something to do with context? having the stripped back track at the end of an albums worth of fuzz was a nice choice )

• 2 weeks later...

from her website:

UPCOMING RELEASES

RUINS, GROUPER, 10/31/14, KRANK189/GR-014. Two versions--Kranky, and self/YELLOWELECTRIC (print edition, x 500; letterpressed, insert, CD of a thunder storm field recording taken at residency; not taking orders for this yet.)

i love her like no other musician in the world, i mean it's kinda naive and silly but so idiosyncratically adorable and admirable at the same time. she's out of this world. knowing that there are people doing this stuff wholeheartedly is just so very comforting.

• 2 weeks later...

from her website:

UPCOMING RELEASES

RUINS, GROUPER, 10/31/14, KRANK189/GR-014. Two versions--Kranky, and self/YELLOWELECTRIC (print edition, x 500; letterpressed, insert, CD of a thunder storm field recording taken at residency; not taking orders for this yet.)

i love her like no other musician in the world, i mean it's kinda naive and silly but so idiosyncratically adorable and admirable at the same time. she's out of this world. knowing that there are people doing this stuff wholeheartedly is just so very comforting.

I own an album with 21 min thunderstorm field recording, to be fair. It's also by pretty established artist, not so adorable though

https://hardwax.com/41637/stl/rain-interpretations-lp/

Archived