IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

180db is definitely a dancefloor banger, I'll give you that. Trouble is, I never listen to this album on the dancefloor ;) I don't hate it, I just don't like it enough to listen to it that often. Kinda like most of the stuff on 'classics'...great at the time but rarely gets an airing now. Although that's just reminded me of Polynomial-C and I have that soundtracking this post now. Tune!

Aisatsana is the most obviously out of place track but gets a free pass as the album closer. It reminds me a tad of the way that Next Heap With closes ICBYD. That one's a bit less of a departure for that album compared to Aisatsana for Syro, but stands apart from the rest of the album while ushering us out perfectly. Really grown to love that track.

I'm starting to shuffle Syro into the canon now and compare it to its cousins. ICBYD has always been the benchmark for me. I adore Syro, but strings are such a shorthand for emotional depth, maybe falsely so, that it's the one thing I notice an absence of on Syro. It's endlessly interesting, textured, gets me smiling and nodding, but only XMAS_EVE10 and Aisatsana get the emotions brewing. Just me? Maybe I'm brainwashed. I remember describing some later Autechre albums (despite liking them) as po-faced to a friend, who then said they found them emotionally engaging. Each to their own ;)

I'll give you that it lacks emotion compared to works like ICBYD and RDJ, but it sure makes up for it in terms of textures, interesting melodies, amazing subtle details and sound design. On most days the massive synths in produk, the booming kick drums in Minipops and the hyperactive saw waves in Circlont + u473t8 are much more inviting to listen to than his other stuff, but yeah that other stuff does use those pads and strings to hit you in the feels more-often. However, I think you missed out another great moment of emotion: 3:00 onwards on 4 bit. Damn that is standout, very simple but very hitting.

start to finish SYRO is an great album, but then i have not heard anything by rich that i don't like.

the tunes on this album will last till i die and still be as good as the first play.

...I think you missed out another great moment of emotion: 3:00 onwards on 4 bit. Damn that is standout, very simple but very hitting.

Agreed :)

Add to that 4:27 - 4:55 of syro u743t8+e, 3:20-4.15 of minipops, 3:08-3:34 of CIRCLONT6A, and the joyous nostalgia of 3:35-4:15 of earthportal. It definitely has its moments, just not a whole track of awe, except maybe XMAS_EVE. Aphex did call it his pop album so fair enough! And produk29 is sexy as hell!

Me, nah, I LOVE this album, seriously. Listen to tracks off it almost daily! Just comparing it to his other albums and picking apart why I get so much pleasure from it despite not feeling emotionally attached to it. Maybe I'm just maturing as a listener ;) Didn't mean to come off as critical!

I LOVE this album ... despite not feeling emotionally attached to it.

Well now, that sounds a bit silly... Maybe I mean I love listening to it despite not feeling emotionally attached to it. This is a moment of clarity... I'm addicted to listening to syro without having a strong emotional connection with it.

Im an anonym aphexcolic. You too bitches

You called it.

Me, nah, I LOVE this album, seriously. Listen to tracks off it almost daily! Just comparing it to his other albums and picking apart why I get so much pleasure from it despite not feeling emotionally attached to it. Maybe I'm just maturing as a listener ;) Didn't mean to come off as critical!

Or you've been listening to the other ones for years and this one for only a year.

Nobody figured out what SYRO meant...

didn't he say it was just a random word his kid said?

that's a rookie mistake. everything RDJ says is a lie until proven true

i didn't say i believe it and i don't care what he says anyway.

only interested in the music, nothing more nothing less

after +200 listens to be honest, syro hasn't blown me away like his previous full lenghts, (maybe i got punched 2 hard in the ball in the past by em), sublime mastercraft but i mostly skip patapat, produk, 180 and (fucking shoot me) xmass eve now

it's just personal taste, and there are always some songs on any afx release i skip after a while, fuck he made so much awesome shit!

those dubby mfm tracks, nqz and t-madness got me craving for more afx smack, i hope he releases something wicked again this year

after +200 listens to be honest, syro hasn't blown me away like his previous full lenghts, (maybe i got punched 2 hard in the ball in the past by em), sublime mastercraft but i mostly skip patapat, produk, 180 and (fucking shoot me) xmass eve now

it's just personal taste, and there are always some songs on any afx release i skip after a while, fuck he made so much awesome shit!

those dubby mfm tracks, nqz and t-madness got me craving for more afx smack, i hope he releases something wicked again this year

I do slightly agree with this. I've been playing it the last few days and I dunno, some of the finer details are fantastic but the overall picture leaves me not punching the air as much as I'd like. I also know in a few years time I could have a complete different perspective on this. Earth Portal MIx is my current favorite. Love that tune.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...