IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

You just don't release a track after a few hours/days of jamming (the soundcloud culture). You patiently spent weeks and months building and improving it bit by bit. You keep listening to your work over and over again and let it stand the test of time. Progressively erasing, re-working, editing stuff that does not fit in the long run. You listen in various conditions and emotional states.

Yes I agree. This is exactly what I've started doing with my music. Fighting the urge to just release a track on SC. I used to very much work on only like.. 3 tracks at a time, and 2 may make it onto soundcloud, then its onto the next 3 tracks. This has changed where I'm working on lots of tracks at once, and they get release when they're done. I really prefer this now that I've started doing it. I think people are more excited for your stuff when you release in groups of tracks vs 1/2 every month.

And yes it is an urge to release on SC. I've kinda fixed this by making a secondary account to post some WIPS.

Edited by Brisbot

Guest WNS000

You just don't release a track after a few hours/days of jamming (the soundcloud culture). You patiently spent weeks and months building and improving it bit by bit. You keep listening to your work over and over again and let it stand the test of time. Progressively erasing, re-working, editing stuff that does not fit in the long run. You listen in various conditions and emotional states.

Yes I agree. This is exactly what I've started doing with my music. Fighting the urge to just release a track on SC. I used to very much work on only like.. 3 tracks at a time, and 2 may make it onto soundcloud, then its onto the next 3 tracks. This has changed where I'm working on lots of tracks at once, and they get release when they're done. I really prefer this now that I've started doing it. I think people are more excited for your stuff when you release in groups of tracks vs 1/2 every month.

And yes it is an urge to release on SC. I've kinda fixed this by making a secondary account to post some WIPS.

I had this urge to share my music like 7 - 8 years ago. Then I realized it wasn't worth anyone's time so I decided to develop my music hidden from the public. After a while it wasn't a problem anymore. I have been pretty busy making music since then without releasing anything. I am so used to it now. When it's done it's done (I am still working on it).

Edited by Jev

I share WIP videos on my Twitter from time to time, literally just recording me twiddling with my gear or just watching what's happening in Ableton for a bit. Nice way to get sounds I'm happy with out without having to 'finish' the tracks. Also I like to think that people, hearing an album, will excitedly remember hearing the track from a video (I don't have those kind of fans but it's nice to dream).

For me, Syro came along just at the right time. I think I went through a (vaguely) similar progression to Rich between Drukqs and more recent stuff. Back in the early '00s I was actively seeking out things that were challenging and different; now I'm happier listening to stuff that's maybe less forward thinking but well made and passionate. Syro is a guy with some synths knocking out some great beats and beautiful melodies, and that totally appeals to me now. It's probably far more flawed, technically, than a lot of his late '90s stuff, but that's fine with me. It gets inside me and makes me feel something and that's why I think it's a brilliant record.

Guest Chesney

just so you know, Jev does good stuff, even though I suspect I have only heard the tip of the iceberg.

You're right though. I wish mor people would take their time over music and let it become as good as it can be instead of whacking out half baked ideas for quick kudos. Although, sometimes that works for some.

Guest WNS000

For me, Syro came along just at the right time. I think I went through a (vaguely) similar progression to Rich between Drukqs and more recent stuff. Back in the early '00s I was actively seeking out things that were challenging and different; now I'm happier listening to stuff that's maybe less forward thinking but well made and passionate. Syro is a guy with some synths knocking out some great beats and beautiful melodies, and that totally appeals to me now. It's probably far more flawed, technically, than a lot of his late '90s stuff, but that's fine with me. It gets inside me and makes me feel something and that's why I think it's a brilliant record.

If the whole Syro was of quality of the first 3 tracks, it would be a flawless record to my ears. Those 3 are utter masterpieces in their genre. Flawless. Not a single note was wasted. Deep respect for the guy.

Unfortunately, the more album progresses the more aimless it feels. Some moments of the second half of the album I consider to be pretty bad and even irritating (questionable sound selections and "lazy" drum programming feeling as if somebody learned to make beats).

IMHO ofc

Edited by Jev

The title track is my favorite track. It's just a really fun song, and that's the purpose of it. Second is probably the 'best' which is Xmas evet.

I actually don't like minipops a ton. It's a good track, but... I don't jive totally with it. Just me.

Over time I've gone from listening to the whole record a lot, to rarely listening to Minipops, papat4, the filler tracks pseudotime, 180db, . I listen to the others a good bit still. Oh, and I rarely listen to aisatsan..a..thing

I went through a period a few months ago where I was just so burned out on the album I didn't listen to it for like 5 months. Then it's back to feeling semi-fresh.

Edited by Brisbot

• 4 weeks later...

My friend and I were talking about the meaning of Syro earlier. I always thought you're supposed to put a P in front like Psy. And then he was saying Ro was like the end of Hero. So it would be like.. Psy Hero. Psyche. Psychedelics. Idk

u really believe that tho? just some word they throw around for fun or what? it's gotta mean something. maybe we're the kids he's referring to. does he even actually have kids? is this confirmed?

Edited by rstark

i'm not stating anything as fact, just throwing out some ideas. I don't know how you can say Drukq's doesn't mean drug use, when I bet a majority of intelligence beings would clearly say it looks like "drug use". Just because aphex says so? he's a pretty big troll. not a very reliable source of information. probably isn't a twin.

Even if it didn't mean anything, the average listener is not going to research what aphex said about the title and they're just going to assume he's referring to drugs in some way

Edited by rstark

u really believe that tho? just some word they throw around for fun or what? it's gotta mean something. maybe we're the kids he's referring to. does he even actually have kids? is this confirmed?

I'd really hoped you were joking

:facepalm:

well think about it. do you think he's really a twin just because he said it? I always thought twin kind of meant that there's an aphex in all of us. hence putting his face on people. there's an rstark in all of us. we're all connected. that kind of deal. maybe too new agey for this bunch. Like the grateful dead phrase "steal your face". when you listen to aphex music you become his twin. uncontrollably influenced to some degree, whether you want to be or not.

not that my interpretation is that important, just saying that just because richard says something doesn't mean it's 100% true. And that it's pointless to think syro doesn't have a meaning. because if you assume it doesn't, then it will never mean anything, taking away any meaning that might have been there that you could be missing out on. and as a huge aphex twin fan you wouldn't want that, right? so you COULD remain skeptical and have a balance of thoughts, considering both that it does and does not have a meaning, as to not miss out if one were actually there.

It's not like I'm asking him to prove his kids. I'm just saying not everything you hear about aphex is true. the same goes for all kinds of other artists that make up stories about themselves to add meaning to the music. damn no need to be so rash and rude. isn't the point of this forum to discuss aphex twin?