IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Aphex & Squarepusher had a bet, who can make the best album with a laptop and fruityloops. Drukqs & Go plastic were bornt.

Sooooo...who won?

Aphex & Squarepusher had a bet, who can make the best album with a laptop and fruityloops. Drukqs & Go plastic were bornt.

Sooooo...who won?

red hot car

• 2 weeks later...

It took from release day until about two weeks ago for Syro to go from the most underwhelming album I ever heard to being among my top ten albums ever. I don't know what took me so long to come around to it, but jesus is this album a masterpiece.

I know I'm two years late to the discussion here, but the SHEER AMOUNT of activity on it is astounding. It's not my favourite (though it may end up there) but I have to say that this is probably the best music he has ever released. In every single regard it's of the highest quality. I never thought he'd beat Drukqs and Rushup Edge, but he actually did.

I think it might have been the emphasis on melody that made it so difficult to understand at first. I am just not used to Aphex Twin tracks having this much melody going on in them and the whole time it felt so very different to everything else he's ever done. It's a real outlier in his catalogue, I will say that. Even though he started to change his sound with the Analords, I feel like Syro still feels so detached from the Analord to Rushup Edge progression.

Honestly, Syro came out of absolutely nowhere for me and confused the fuck out of me for two years. It's so far from what I expected and honestly I'm just floored by how after all this time Richard can still release things that make me laugh out loud in elation. Such a fucking legend. I'm going to be blasting the shit out of Syro for a looooooong time. I actually can't wait to listen to it again.

It took from release day until about two weeks ago for Syro to go from the most underwhelming album I ever heard to being among my top ten albums ever. I don't know what took me so long to come around to it, but jesus is this album a masterpiece.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine. It's not a top 10 album, but he want from 'meh' to 'wow this is addicting'. Though for him it took a couple months.

I think you just have to be in the mood for it. Sometimes it takes years to get in the mood. I didn't listen to ambient music for like a year, then the mood came back and I suddenly started enjoying it again.

Listened to some of Syro the other night, still hearing new things pop up here and there. Still in love with XMAS. Thx Rich.

I still think druqks, the tuss + analord10, and SAW2 are the best projects he's ever done. But I mean I also love syro, and the RDJ album defines my delve into electronic music.

It took about two years of life

I really started digging it.

At first I was like "what the fuck",

but now I'm loving every bit.

I know I'm probably too late,

but this is fucking masterpiece.

It's best that Richard ever done.

High quality orgasmic bliss.

I think because of melodies

it was so hard to understand.

I never thought that aphex could

do melodies, but seems he can.

He changed so much with analords.

Progressed with rushup to the edge.

Its real outliner catalogue

with time machine and pseudo stretch.

It came from nowhere and confused.

So far away from what I wished.

It made me laugh so hard I cried.

Hes such a fucking legend fish.

Im gonna blast the shit again

and listen to it one more time.

I actually can't wait for more,

so see you guys again sometime.

lalalalalalalala

I think syro is mostly fan service.

He released the tracks we were begging for which is amazing. (thanks richard)

and then he tacked on several things of similar composition and a tribute track on the second half.

There's probably some significant chronological order being that the obviously newer stuff was on teh second half, but to a random listener non-super fan the album probably doesn't make that much sense

also xmas evet10 is probably one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

sounds like someone falling in love and then having their heart completely shattered in one song and then picking up the pieces

always love that sound that sounds like someone crying out at ~2:46

Poem and a half Mag!

and then he tacked on several things of similar composition and a tribute track on the second half.

There's probably some significant chronological order being that the obviously newer stuff was on teh second half, but to a random listener non-super fan the album probably doesn't make that much sense

sounds like someone falling in love and then having their heart completely shattered in one song and then picking up the pieces

Man, I wouldn't say XMAS_EVE is that sad at all. The end gets pretty serious yeah but I always thought it generally sounded like pure joy. It sounds like he loved every second of making it to me.

Saddest song I've ever heard is Nanou2. Crushes me to bits every time. I'm never fully ready for that ending.

Poem and a half Mag!

Man, I wouldn't say XMAS_EVE is that sad at all. The end gets pretty serious yeah but I always thought it generally sounded like pure joy. It sounds like he loved every second of making it to me.

Saddest song I've ever heard is Nanou2. Crushes me to bits every time. I'm never fully ready for that ending.

It sounds incredibly lonely to me.

Like someone coming to grips with the most pure and innocent part of them being crushed.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel thankfully.

Guest bitroast

teasing tracks early by dropping unreleased aphex twin in live sets = fan service. 

releasing the music in an album = releasing the music in an album 

Guest bitroast

i um... i do still wish we(/or, just me!!) had digitals of the beau thomas masters for the whole album.

i have my vinyl rip but its tad noisy.. 

i have the cd version but i prefer the vinyl mastering ... 

can't win!!

Edited by bitroast