IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

check the "More Images" images for the japanese plastic case repress, looks pretty rad 

https://www.discogs.com/Aphex-Twin-Syro/release/6140509

It is super sweet, I just got this in last week with the A4 document wallet included, weird thing is it was sealed and brand new but has a advert for releases coming in 2016 including Cheetah ep. I would like to know what this is all about was it just made, just sealed or does the japs get to know whats coming out in the next two years LOL

It sounds incredibly lonely to me.

Like someone coming to grips with the most pure and innocent part of them being crushed.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel thankfully.

I can start to see where you're coming from when you put it like that, yeah. I've still only clicked with Syro with a fortnight so I still have miles to go with my listening. I might come to agree with you.

I'd love to have MARCHROMT30A come after Aisatsana on my CD. Am I alone in thinking that the fast version shits all over the original?

Edited by Caribou

Poem and a half Mag!

I wasn't mocking you btw, i was just bored. But I guess you figured that out haha

Are you a real Caribou btw? I liked Swim, specially first half, nice tunes, but haven't properly heard other records. Should I?

After 3 listenings I thought Syro could be the best album ever released. Now, after three years I think prety much the same. I didn´t listen it three times a day like the first year, but when I listen it (this evening) is like sniffing some kind of hyperdimensional sonic drug. It´s so visual

• 3 weeks later...

Papat4 slowed down is super good. I uploaded the 45 to 33⅓ rpm version made with Audacity for those of you who haven't heard it yet: [redacted]

I especially love the bassline and the pads.

Edited by Herr Jan
it's against the rules posting copyrighted music, even if it's slowed down

I wonder if there are those that readily dismiss that which they can't yet comprehend. Quick to judge and slow to listen or attempt to understand.

You mean like 90% of the people on watmm?

:emotawesomepm9:

Every person i have ever known has always dismissed any release by RDJ on the first note. (Hence why i am a loner).

Syro will take me years to fully comprehend every time i listen i'm like wow never heard that bit before.

listened to syro on headphones and then realized the album is completely different that way

I've settled on listening to syro with my Beyerdynamic DT770s, which can be way too clean/bright for a lot of genres, but really provide a lot of 'room' for aphex and other electronic music in my collection. Syro definitely benefits from a neutral can and a big sound stage, imho.

What's everyone else listening on / through?

And how you like dem ipod EQ presets? lol. When I'm out and bored with my ipod I switch around between the various EQ settings and they do foreground different elements in a way that can throw new light on tracks I already know inside out, but it sort of feels sacrilege for some reason, precious aphex fanboy that I am.

I very much dislike any of the ipod EQ presets. My main system is fairly sensitive, any tonal problems from the presets are just super amplified lol.

Also without soundcheck on I find all of the presets just cause extra distortion =/ no?

I'll just use my rack EQ.

Edit: I actually still use my ipod for the majority of playback, via aux cable into my main stereo. My ipod is decent, I got one with a different dac/w.e.. I don't listen on headphones very often. I have the vinyl but haven't opened it yet because I'm a bit of a nancy.  :fear:

Edited by StephenG

It was out of curiosity and boredom on a train journey... I was listening to the Tuss tracks in fact, not syro, and playing with the ipod EQ options. It did provide a smidgen of extra interest in tracks I'd already been reciting chapter and verse for years. Just a little 'oh ,I never fully realised that bit as much before' type thing. 

I can see that, for sure. Maybe bringing things into the foreground a bit, shuffling things into the background. That kind of thing.

I have a stereo in the spare room I sometimes listen to for just that reason. They are a bit more forward with the treble and mid, hear some nice little details I wouldn't hear otherwise. :music:

I have a pair of DT770's too. Love to listen to AFX on them, especially Syro and Tuss stuff.

I never ever EQ things because I prefer to hear the music as the artist intended it but the HAB CD reissue on Warp really is annoyingly bright and unpleasantly shrill. But that's how RDJ wanted it I suppose.

I prefer to hear the music the way the artist intended too (at least I think I do? heh), but every system has its little nuances no? can't you EQ just to correct flaws (you perceive) in your system? I have a pair of floorstanding speakers that are oldschool that are just a bit too bright so I try and compensate for that with the eq.

noob question :catsuicide:

Edited by StephenG

Every acoustic space (room) and every speaker and every ear is basically an EQ that changes a record from the original.

Anyway, people should listen on quality headphones more often as it offers much superior (dry) listening experience because most people don't have the luxury of properly set-up stereo system in a properly treated acoustic space. Reverberation of a room can completely kill a track.

Some music sounds good no matter the conditions but for example Oversteps (and similarly detailed music with subtle details) is super-sensitive to various listening conditions (it needs very dry listening environment otherwise it becomes a mudy experience that really interferes with the composition of the music).

TL:DR Listen on headphones more, people. It is worth it.

Edited by WNS000

Agreed, yes, the room has a huge effect. The biggest reason I listen to it on my stereo vs headphones is because my wife listens with me, we listen to the same music. Also my brother too if he's around. 

I enjoy my headphones a lot though.