IGNORED

Dj Shadow - The Liquid Amber Ep

mcbpete

artworks-000087861316-01g8p5-t500x500.jp

Ghost Town is an ambitious ride through many of the micro-genres within the Future Bass umbrella that have inspired me recently, while Mob is an intentionally stripped-down, Cali-certified head-nodder. Both songs were written, programmed, and mixed by myself, and they represent the forward steps I feel Ive taken as an engineer

(my bit in bold)

OK so are you ready for the forward steps he feels he's taken as an engineer. Select 'Mob' (or just wait till track 2) and click play ....

Oh Shadow :cry:

I really don't want to seem like a bad/stupid person, but I think this is the WORST moment for releasing any new electronic album.

yep

including mine :'( fuck you aphex twin :(

Guest Enter a new display name

I just listened to Mob. What did I just listen to? It sounds like post-engineer ghettotech.

I really don't want to seem like a bad/stupid person, but I think this is the WORST moment for releasing any new electronic album.

Arrh, I don't know about that. Not everyone is into Afpfhx.

What, that the music he makes nowadays doesn't measure up to the material made in his prime? There are literally hundreds upon thousands of artists across all media you could say this about.

What, that the music he makes nowadays doesn't measure up to the material made in his prime? There are literally hundreds upon thousands of artists across all media you could say this about.

Not only that...he made one of the greatest albums of all time, and then it seems like he started hanging out with 14-year olds and copping their taste in music.

Meh, it was cool seeing him live with Cut Chemist some years back, but his studio work has been forgettable for quite a while now...

It appears there is some impostor who took over his name sometime back in 2004 and continues to release crap under the name "DJ Shadow"

I keep coming back hoping it is the same guy who produced music in the '90's but alas, he must have died long ago and is now being dragged around à la Weekend at Bernies.

Haven't been a shadow

i've also never really listened to endtroducing save for a few tracks like garden midnight whatever and another song that wong-kar wai did the music video for. the only thing i know about shadow is that he wears a backwards cap and used to get his records at that one record store in haight ashbury that EVERYONE goes to when they want to appear like they know what they're talking about and are in the bay area

I think this stuff is like, 84~86% phresh. DJ Shadow old school choonz have been great, but... This is the first time I've heard his "non-sampled" music, though, and the vibe from the text he wrote is kind of like "Hey, I'm getting used to this new music making stuff, check it!", which is the exact same vibe of an enthusiastic internet board musician (which can be nice). Going from legendary status in one medium, to still-feeling-it-out status in a related medium is pretty brave and speaks of his creative heart.

Vibe has that sort of naive freshness to it, which is always nice. But I think a huge point for potentially next level shit, is that he has tons of experience with mood creation/progression and melodic/harmonic layering as well as song structure, but currently, he cannot yet fully perform/compose the musical parts that he hears in his head. So he might come up with some innovative expression with beatz if his non-beat skills don't catch up to his vision.

Not sure who Shadow is aiming this at. Not old school fans, I don't see new school fans because they can turn on main stream radio & sorry to say, hear better beats in the vein of the 2 tracks I listened to.

Shadow should have stepped back & asked himself "Is this better than "Turn Down For What"? and upon realising the truth, set fire to this EP

Archived