IGNORED

SYRO $400 "Limited Edition" 3xLP

Rubin Farr

I will admit that I'm using the term lossless incorrectly and gratuitously to refer to total loss of sound quality (not just referring to compression)

Anyways I'm done mr Auxien I won't derail the thread anymore!

:beer::beer:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iniquity blues

Hey, at least he's not doing a Kickstarter!

Can you imagine the type of person who'd drop $2500-5000 for "an exclusive dinner with Aphex Twin" ? I think Richard can and therefore that option isn't on the table.

What's the standard Warp non-audiophile pressing come in at, 120 grams? L-event was advertised as 140g but I don't remember if that was a special case or not.

Would have preferred a bit heavier this time around of course, mostly because my turntable isn't super high end and tracks kind of heavy and it makes me paranoid. Exai @ 180g is the best sounding record I have, but I don't have a huge collection so can't say if it's because of the vinyl or because of rob and sean being much better than everyone else at everything. Probably the latter.

I have quite a few 180g pressings now, some better than others. Exai is definitely up there with Drukqs limited edition as being some of the best vinyl I have. I've already mentioned to Sean that it almost sounds like it was pressed on virgin vinyl, because there's so little surface noise on Exai. In my admittedly amateur opinion, I would say it is virgin vinyl. If not, it's damn good stock and hasn't been done on heavily recycled vinyl. I have a copy of Pretty Hate Machine on what is supposed to be virgin vinyl, but it sounds like absolute shit, and it's due to surface noise.

@oscillik - that's a nice picture my friend but we can't hear sounds beyond 20 kHz even as a 10 yr olds and in our age not even beyond 18 k so no use from the extended bandwidth in any theory and even if we can hear it vinyl couldn't reproduce it as correctly as digital in, let's say 96 kHz of sampling rate. it's mostly noise.

I posted the picture because I could've sworn that someone had posted here saying something along the lines of CDs having a higher frequency response, which my picture proves is not true. regardless of the fact that we can't hear those higher frequencies, I was just trying to debunk that statement.

now it seems I imagined that statement, because I can't find it.

nevermind. WATMM fartists in full effect.

but honestly, I had no fucking idea vinyl could elicit frequencies so high until I checked out the spectrals. It's quite impressive, in my opinion.

So, when WATMMer gets a mid-life crisis he/she will shell out money on limited vinyls instead of buying a motorbike and a leather jacket like regular peoples?

But what if the aphex twins gets a motorbike and a leather jackets.....

mind-blown-classic.gif

So, when WATMMer gets a mid-life crisis he/she will shell out money on limited vinyls instead of buying a motorbike and a leather jacket like regular peoples?

But what if the aphex twins gets a motorbike and a leather jackets.....

mind-blown-classic.gif

Urghh!! that is a frightening thought.

He must not do activities that are dangerous. We must keep him pristine and in the braindance workhouse, slaving for our precious prichard jams. Spose we could hook the motorbike up to a VR helmet and let him wear the leathers, we're not that cruel. Can't turn the bike on though, carbon monoxide might dampen the synapses.

From Pitchfork interview

The limited-edition version of SYRO will include an extra track printed in ink on heavyweight cardstock: “I tried it a few times, and it sounds like noise, but you can hear music in there, somehow.

I'm not certain what that means really.

From Pitchfork interview

The limited-edition version of SYRO will include an extra track printed in ink on heavyweight cardstock: “I tried it a few times, and it sounds like noise, but you can hear music in there, somehow.

Well, theoretically if they are taking a masterplate and inking it to press onto the paper for the limited edition art print the plate could be depressed enough into the paper that grooves would be present for playback. That being said, given the lack of rigidity you'd be basically ripping apart a $370 piece of art in order to play back incredibly low quality audio.

I'm guessing he's having a laugh and they are probably using plates of one of the sides from the proper album. If he isn't, someone would do a high quality scan and write some code to try and extract the audio and it would likely do a better job than a needle ripping apart paper.

From Pitchfork interview

Well, theoretically if they are taking a masterplate and inking it to press onto the paper for the limited edition art print the plate could be depressed enough into the paper that grooves would be present for playback. That being said, given the lack of rigidity you'd be basically ripping apart a $370 piece of art in order to play back incredibly low quality audio.

I'm guessing he's having a laugh and they are probably using plates of one of the sides from the proper album. If he isn't, someone would do a high quality scan and write some code to try and extract the audio and it would likely do a better job than a needle ripping apart paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records#Etched_discs

Sure, or flexi-discs like what they used to include in magazines or with happy meals. The Warp SE page seems to indicate that its simply a print though (and that the print is sealed in a way to protect it), unless there is another item inside.

Saw this a few months ago; might be interesting (somewhat related):

jazzz

I hope the quality of that bonus record is at least to that standard, in case it wasn't a joke.

Wouldn't he get legal issues if he lied about something coming with the record?

James is obsessed with vinyl quality. Why would he allow a printed version of his music that sounds like 'noise', to use his own words?

A joke, albeit a funny one. If it isn't, I will be selling my ltd copy of the album (if I win it) pretty quickly lol.

I think they're pretty, even though I probably have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a chance to purchase one of them.

WARPLP247X_atxp.jpg

I just realised that was a picture of the printed disc... it was there all along!

Archived