IGNORED

SYRO artwork by The Designers Republic

Rubin Farr

This might be buried in a SYRO thread but hell if I'm gonna look for it. tDR are back since Ian scaled down his design house, good to see them doing more Warp stuff recently.

http://m.designweek.co.uk/3038953.article?mobilesite=enabled

you've seen the art, minimal & DIY

AE61C04C-1711-4233-B34D-6C26E6944D38_zps

0602C202-607D-45D5-A3C9-4F98A4D049C3_zps

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like it a lot, with lots of lp cover designs these days being v colourfull and ott this will stand out, the circle i wish contained just the aphex logo, but thats a minor gripe however part of me was hoping for some classic rdj photography but perhaps he 'art directed' this. it would be amazing if the booklet was pages and pages of this sort of information (printed on some nice munken paper stock) with his photographs here and there.

Badger pic is very likely fake, due to the use of the old Warp logo.

Also, tDR has been back for literally years.... jazzband!

no one said they went anywhere, but Ian did restart the house around 2009, bc I bought some surplus pieces from a dealer back then.

phonica have posted what looks like a longer version of the image, by the looks of it we will be getting a receipt styled image?

https://www.facebook.com/Phonica.Records/photos/a.10150107284653468.283336.14706143467/10152609905313468/?type=1

Some interesting items listed in that image:

Venue Hire for Montreal listening party

300mm x 300mm square floor sticker

Production of short Aphex Twin logo films

Monitoring and takedown of illegal download links

Design by TDR

Retail Clear Folder (?) for Japan

Lacquer processing second set A/B/C/D/E/F inc. test pressings

Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for warp staff and (unreadable)

Test pressing set 3 couriered to Richard

Production cost for retail logo magnet (?) for Japan

Hmm, wonder if a listening party will take place as part of Mutek in Montreal...

Good thing about this artwork is I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything preordering the 24-bits wav's.

Questions/things to discuss:

1. Why is the Japanese bonus track listed as being 104.980 BPMs. The trailing zero is unnecessary, and notably isn't included in any other BPM listings. For instance, 4 bit 9d api+e+6 is listed as being at 126.26 BPMs, not 126.260.

2. Watermark CDs for Sync promo bailout & Finished copy CDs for Sync promotion - I'd assume this is just their cost for sending out promos to reviewers and such? The 'Sync' part sounds like something more official, but it may just be Warp's terminology for the promo mailout program. Notice that there are separate costs for US radio promotions and multiple listening parties. These things aren't part of 'Sync' for what reason?

3. Damn that's a lot of listening parties. They must be happening very soon in order to give time for the press that attends to be able to afterwards write and publish their thoughts before/at the album's release. Did Warp do listening parties like this for BoC's TH? Do labels do big multi-city parties often for bigger-named acts, or are they trying to make Aphex Twin more of a brand than it already is?

4. French frogs: go to the movies! Japan, you're getting SHOPPING BAGS APHEX SHOPPING BAGS

5. There are a few listings for marketing/racking, which I would think means they'll be big displays in music shops with Aphex branding and copies of the CD/vinyl. That's not too common anymore these days, or is it? I don't frequent big cities, nor do I have any idea of the retail market in Europe.

6. Who is Christine and why is she wining and dining US writers? I'm assuming these would be album reviewers? Is the listening party not enough schmoozing?

Let's have more questions and some answers now Aphex acid, WATMM.

Archived