IGNORED

SYRO artwork by The Designers Republic

Rubin Farr

Guest jasondonervan

the physical versions?:

post-14797-0-21601900-1408679539.jpg

Japanese retailers will grab any relevant image for a new release and do in-store displays like the above - I wouldn't see this as anything more than an excitable Tower Records employee who knows their way around photoshop.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Questions/things to discuss:

1. Why is the Japanese bonus track listed as being 104.980 BPMs. The trailing zero is unnecessary, and notably isn't included in any other BPM listings. For instance, 4 bit 9d api+e+6 is listed as being at 126.26 BPMs, not 126.260.

2. Watermark CDs for Sync promo bailout & Finished copy CDs for Sync promotion - I'd assume this is just their cost for sending out promos to reviewers and such? The 'Sync' part sounds like something more official, but it may just be Warp's terminology for the promo mailout program. Notice that there are separate costs for US radio promotions and multiple listening parties. These things aren't part of 'Sync' for what reason?

3. Damn that's a lot of listening parties. They must be happening very soon in order to give time for the press that attends to be able to afterwards write and publish their thoughts before/at the album's release. Did Warp do listening parties like this for BoC's TH? Do labels do big multi-city parties often for bigger-named acts, or are they trying to make Aphex Twin more of a brand than it already is?

4. French frogs: go to the movies! Japan, you're getting SHOPPING BAGS APHEX SHOPPING BAGS

5. There are a few listings for marketing/racking, which I would think means they'll be big displays in music shops with Aphex branding and copies of the CD/vinyl. That's not too common anymore these days, or is it? I don't frequent big cities, nor do I have any idea of the retail market in Europe.

6. Who is Christine and why is she wining and dining US writers? I'm assuming these would be album reviewers? Is the listening party not enough schmoozing?

Let's have more questions and some answers now Aphex acid, WATMM.

With point 2, a 'sync' deal is generally the placement of music in TV or Film, the placement of which will generate royalties. I'm guessing they are sending promo's out to production houses and advertising agencies also...

The folder thing is an A4 size piece of semi-clear plastic. They hand them out all the time with new releases. last one I got was for Eno's 'Drums between The Bells'. There is also a fridge magnet depending on where you buy it. Tower records also give away promotional plastic bags for stuff. All of this is done on a lucky-dip basis. They did the same thing for Tomorrow's Harvest and Exai. You pay for the CD at the counter and then go to another counter, hand them your receipt and then you get the lucky dip treatment.

I've got posters for Oversteps, a huge one of TH, folders, badges, magnets - all kinds of stuff over the years. It's not a big deal.

And that image at the top of the page, that is exactly how Tower Records promote their stuff in Japanese stores.

The folder thing is an A4 size piece of semi-clear plastic. They hand them out all the time with new releases. last one I got was for Eno's 'Drums between The Bells'. There is also a fridge magnet depending on where you buy it. Tower records also give away promotional plastic bags for stuff. All of this is done on a lucky-dip basis. They did the same thing for Tomorrow's Harvest and Exai. You pay for the CD at the counter and then go to another counter, hand them your receipt and then you get the lucky dip treatment.

I've got posters for Oversteps, a huge one of TH, folders, badges, magnets - all kinds of stuff over the years. It's not a big deal.

And that image at the top of the page, that is exactly how Tower Records promote their stuff in Japanese stores.

I'd love to see some pics of that Oversteps poster or any cool badges/magnets you've got

Guest skibby

now i know why this color combination is so familiar... because of the year 1971...

anybody old enough to remember Mr Yuk?

and the full super idm PM'd Filtery full audio version for the purists:

Another tell-tale that the badger pic is fake is that every Warp Records cover that tDR has designed for them since their return from hiatus, they have not put the actual Warp logo on the album artwork anywhere.

Guest skibby

Another tell-tale that the badger pic is fake is that every Warp Records cover that tDR has designed for them since their return from hiatus, they have not put the actual Warp logo on the album artwork anywhere.

my guess is the cover hasnt been sent to press yet. who knows, maybe Master Richard is into habaneros and hangs out on the continent?

• 1 month later...

after seeing the cd at a friend i gotta say i love the artwork and concept, should have gotten a physical copy, what a lel!

so you loose half of the artwork by peeling the plastic of,f then you get a bill of 6pages "here are the costs you maggot fuck, enjoy the album"

it's amazing to see all the gear he uses and for wich tracks, excellent job by warp and tdr, super funny concept by james :ok:

Guest skibby

after letting it all sink in, I'd have to say the Warp art with the badger is one of the better TDR graphics, its got more analogue warmth to it imo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rulohead32

I was looking for the title font days ago and I saw some people here talking about which font could it be. I don't remember which thread was in, but I let it here: the titles and text font is Simple but probably you already know. just in case.

The Syro font looks awfully similar to the Caustic Window one.

surfing-on-sine-waves-501aa4d689ba4.jpg

It might be slightly wider on CW. Obviously it has some tracking, but overall the lettering doesn't seem as condensed as the Syro type. Other than that I'd say that they look pretty much identical. Does anyone know how long Decima has been around?

Archived