IGNORED

drinking scotch like a man

A Reggae Lee Bowyer

I've been drinking scotch mixed with coke for years but I knows real man drink neat.
I just bought a bottle and tonight I plan to relax with some good music and try getting used to sipping it neat. I fully expect it to be quite disgusting initially but I'm hoping it's not so bad that I can't continue.
I'm told that you just have to stick at it and eventually you get used to the taste and begin to enjoy and appreciate the flavours then boom! you is real man.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drink it on the rocks at first. It's much nicer cold, and as the ice melts it becomes easier to drink. Then you can move up to drinking it neat. There is no shame in having a scotch and water as well.

Drink it on the rocks at first. It's much nicer cold, and as the ice melts it becomes easier to drink. Then you can move up to drinking it neat. There is no shame in having a scotch and water as well.

I absolutely hate a watery taste in booze. When I've drank it with coke and the ice has melted a bit it makes me gag. I have been reading that a small splash of water is good for scotch though.

I absolutely hate a watery taste in booze. When I've drank it with coke and the ice has melted a bit it makes me gag. I have been reading that a small splash of water is good for scotch though.

Well, another option is to drink scotch and coke and slowly alter the proportions so that eventually it's straight scotch. You should also make sure you are drinking decent scotch. Cheap scotch is shitty to drink.

My recommendations:

Macallen

Balvenie

Glenfiddich

Glenmorangie

I like to drink jameson as well if there isn't a good selection around.

Also, I don't recommend spending money on scotch if you are doing the proportional approach I outlined above.

Not ice, water. Did you get a nice scotch like Glenfiddich 12 or something? I didn't like Johnnie Walker that much but I've only had it a handful of times.

I got a JW double black. I looked at some of the more pricey single malts but i figured that if I can't stick with it and end up mixing with coke, it would be a total waste.

I love scotch, and I drink it neat, but also there are shit scotches. Like, e.g., don't drink Johnny Walker Red neat. You have to mix the ass taste out of some scotches.

What scotch are you drinking?

Also real women drink scotch neat too, fyi.

Whatever the case, even if you're drinking it neat, don't feel like you can't add a drop or two or a teaspoon of water to open it up. You can drown some flavors on lower abv whiskys that way (although if you're new to it you might want to drown it a bit at first), but for stuff that's maybe 43% or higher a drop or two can really enhance the flavor and nose and bring out some delicate elements that get lost otherwise. IMO. See what you like, really.

Glenfiddich 12 is a good place to start IMO, and if you have the scratch Glenfiddich 15 is much better and really underrated as a whisky.

I love scotch, and I drink it neat, but also there are shit scotches. Like, e.g., don't drink Johnny Walker Red neat. You have to mix the ass taste out of some scotches.

Whatever the case, even if you're drinking it neat, don't feel like you can't add a drop or two or a teaspoon of water to open it up. You can drown some flavors on lower abv whiskys that way (although if you're new to it you might want to drown it a bit at first), but for stuff that's maybe 43% or higher a drop or two can really enhance the flavor and nose and bring out some delicate elements that get lost otherwise. IMO. See what you like, really.

Glenfiddich 12 is a good place to start IMO, and if you have the scratch Glenfiddich 15 is much better and really underrated as a whisky.

I think I will probably pour it over ice and let that melt a little before going at it. A lot of people have told me what you said about a bit of water opening it up but do you think at this stage I will be able to appreciate any flavors at all?

If it's trouble to drink then no you probably won't be able to appreciate it. You will appreciate not drinking shitty scotch though as you're getting a taste for it.

I think I will probably pour it over ice and let that melt a little before going at it. A lot of people have told me what you said about a bit of water opening it up but do you think at this stage I will be able to appreciate any flavors at all?

Soz, didn't see you had the JW double black. Yeah, it'll be fine over ice. It's still a little rough as a sipper so no harm there at all really. I'd say experiment with the bottle and have fun with it. Try it on the rocks, then try it neat without water, then try it neat with a teaspoon of water, and kind of get a feel for how the flavors change.

Best way to get into whisky really is to find out what you like and what you don't... if you like the smokiness in the JW there's a whole world of peat bombs awaiting you. If it turns you off at first I'd try a milder blend or maybe a glenfiddich 12.

I made pretty stupid fuck ups when I first started drinking whisky-- putting a ton of water in, etc -- didn't know what I was doing and ruined a couple good glasses. It's all part of the process, lol. To be honest, I was kind of overwhelmed and ended up watching some reviews etc on youtube to see what the fuss was about and what I was doing wrong. That "ralfy" guy on the youtubes is a bit of a knob in the most endearing way possible and I actually learned a lot about what I liked and which avenues to pursue from watching guys like that, because nobody around me really knew fuck all about scotch (despite dumb macho posturing from some co-workers at the time).

Have fun and don't get too fucked up on it is the main thing imo. A few too many benders on whisky will ruin it for you forever, I hear (guessing delet might have gone that route, if not then sorry for assuming delet).

i used to drink scotch when i was a kid, now i just think that it's feral. So in a way, you've never matured as a man if you kept drinking that bollocks.

true story.

Haha and everyone ignores this

i LOVE laphroaig

Laphroaig-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-10-Y

and whisky macs Whisky-mac.jpg

another cream of the crop is the whisky sour: (you could probably make one) its a classic 2-1-1/2 cocktail. 2 shots of whisky, 1 of lemon juice, 1/2 sugar syrup (basically 2 part sugar 1 part boiling water & stir)

add this into a shaker with ice, shake until your hands freeze and then strain into a glass. heaven.

whiskey-sour.jpg

Try scotch rocks? They're little pieces of a rock that you freeze that make it as cold as ice does but they don't leave a flavour or dilute the scotch.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Rocks-Chilling-Whisky-Carrying/dp/B008OYP4IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408753013&sr=8-1&keywords=scotch+rocks

that's what I use and they work great

It's awesome, you loose hours though.. Wake up the next day and say I didn't drink half that (did I?)

Or maybe that's just me...

This is exactly what happened last time I thought I'd buy a bottle of whiskey.

i LOVE laphroaig

Laphroaig-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-10-Y

and whisky macs Whisky-mac.jpg

another cream of the crop is the whisky sour: (you could probably make one) its a classic 2-1-1/2 cocktail. 2 shots of whisky, 1 of lemon juice, 1/2 sugar syrup (basically 2 part sugar 1 part boiling water & stir)

add this into a shaker with ice, shake until your hands freeze and then strain into a glass. heaven.

whiskey-sour.jpg

I've not had laphroaig, but my friend, whose opinion I hold highly, said that it taste like drinking iodine or something to that effect.

i used to drink scotch when i was a kid, now i just think that it's feral. So in a way, you've never matured as a man if you kept drinking that bollocks.

true story.

Haha and everyone ignores this

i was hoping someone would bite, guess you cats know better by now. [-; "oh that dleetr, always so contra".

So I've had a few this evening and it was really nice. Not difficult to drink at all. Went down very smoothly and warmed the old cockles.
I just used 2 ice cubes and let it sit for about a minute before drinking. I will definitely look into those stones. I think someone mentioned dark chocolate earlier and I am really craving that now. I feel it would be perfect.

[youtubehd]tx1mryKqvT8[/youtubehd]

It's awesome, you loose hours though.. Wake up the next day and say I didn't drink half that (did I?)

Or maybe that's just me...

This is exactly what happened last time I thought I'd buy a bottle of whiskey.

yeppers, last time i drank whiskey i passed out hanging over a toilet. it has a different "spirit" :cisfor:

Archived