IGNORED

Richard D. James social experiment, Syro, fakes, leaks, media and stupid fans

Guest capitan mission

Guest capitan mission

Im very interested in the phenomena that raised the mystery behind The Tuss and all the other projects attributed to Richard. we are uber fans of aphex twin, and maybe we find some guy in youtube that makes music similar to him, but maybe we dont pay mutch attention, BUT we are crazy waiting for the next aphex album, 13 years!!! and maybe that guy in youtube really is richard.
So, we like his music because the brand?
It would be veryyy funny if some of these leaks of syro is real, all the peolple talking shit about them!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest capitan mission

it wouldn't be funny cause they are shit

some of them are not shit to me, at least one of them is in the same "shit level" that melodies from mars.

anyway, if some are real, and shit, it would be funny for me

Any way of worknig out when the .tor domain was created?

The process started billions of years ago, when the earth was a primeval ooze and Richard was thus borne from its loins.

er... then he started generating.

Rushup I Bank 12 is the only non-Aphex Twin song that feels like Aphex Twin imo.

it's weird to think it's not, why ?

it def sounds like a RDJ tune, it's released with The Tuss moniker etc ...

Anyway op you're right about the branding thing at least in my case, but this is due to the amount of quality RDJ puts into Aphex Twin releases. An Aphex Twin album is like a stamp of approval "this is the fucking tits" by RDJ, every other release under a different moniker strikes me as RDJ experimenting or just being more care-free.

Aphex Twin is far more industrial sounding than any other moniker RDJ uses for a start, the instruments sound more organic and it's just more emotional across the board.

fully agree, RDJ as Aphex Twin is the seal of absolute top quality (not to discredit the other monikers). RDJ seems at his more focused when using the official alias.

Guest bitroast

Dunno if you guys are trolling but I meant it deserved to be released under Aphex Twin

oh sorry, absolutely wasn't trolling; i just misread your post.

to me, there's never been a massive distinction between the different aliases.

like, you could look at the different aliases and point out the differences, but there can be a pretty big change in style between album to album even when it is the same alias.

hangable auto bulb could be aphex twin. 2 remixes by afx (despite the name) could be aphex twin. the tuss could be aphex twin/afx. analord 10 could be afx/the tuss (lol) .

I half wonder if Analord 10 was only released as aphex twin because the logo is associated with aphex twin (and has nothing to do with the music style, in rdj's point of view).

Rushup I Bank 12 is the only non-Aphex Twin song that feels like Aphex Twin imo.

it's weird to think it's not, why ?

it def sounds like a RDJ tune, it's released with The Tuss moniker etc ...

edit: just saw what you meant

Guest capitan mission

Dunno if you guys are trolling but I meant it deserved to be released under Aphex Twin

jajaja, obviously!!!

I agree. Analord 10 is the best one, that and phonatacid/criying in your face. Analord 10 is much more polished and arranged than the rest.

Some Tuss tracks could be under aphex alias too, some good quality shit!. Drukqs has many tracks that are wayyy above other alias standards. The sound experiments in Drukqs are at the level of great "moder music" like parmegiani, the crazy beat programming is perfect, the simple melodies are really beautiful, and the album as a whole works perfect.

Not the same could be said about all the richard releases under different monikers.

The Tuss is RDJ as far as im concerned, besides the quality of the music, it pretty much got confirmed with the BMI Repertoire.

Steinvord is some random kid that out of nowhere released these tracks into the internet, apparently he did them at around 15-16 years old then they were put out a year and a half later somewhere on the internet. I saw it mentioned in idmforums years ago, even before WATMM caught up. The weird thing is whoever did the tracks never posted the tracks himself, and there was 0 interaction with the author, 0 social media and what not. Then, like 3 years later it got released by rephlex. I guess they saw the potential for great tracks on there. But there's definitely a lot of strange things about this. Like the guy trolling Tom from Planet-Mu when they offered him a record deal. They sent him an email and apparently he replied "thanks, but my cdrom is broken so I cant sent you any demos". Are you kidding me? Anyone here would be stocked to get contacted by Planet-Mu specially as a kid, yet he comes up with that shit. This is what really fucks with my mind. I've been following this thing for years now, and i've actually given up at expecting any extra information. Last i've heard is Grant saying there would be a follow up album, but nothing so far. As for the music itself, it has a different sound palette to me, I sometimes think it's totally different to Richard, Tom or whoever he gets compared to, BUT sometimes it really tricks my mind into thinking it's one of them, I get hit by that small magic moment of genius that no one else can give me, like "that was sooo neat", with the way things are programmed. Anyway, like I said, I don't really care anymore, I just hope I can get these tracks in digital, with the rest of non released tunes. It would be great if it is really some kid that cannot be bothered with anything.

Plusten/JK: This is confirmed NOT Richard or anyone in Rephlex. He has been putting out great music for years, has a bandcamp and released an EP recently. Great stuff, check it out: https://ner-plusten.bandcamp.com/track/rickshaw-funk

Dave Monolith: The other new signup along with Steinvord, great guy, saw him live, so yeah, pretty much not Richard, it's just some kid who's really good at it. Check out his soundcloud for great tunes. Let's just hope Rephlex doesn't delay too much any further releases from him.

I think this sums it up pretty much, hope this is clear enough, specially for all the newcomers joining now thanks to the upcoming Syro release.

The Tuss is RDJ as far as im concerned, besides the quality of the music, it pretty much got confirmed with the BMI Repertoire.

Steinvord is some random kid that out of nowhere released these tracks into the internet, apparently he did them at around 15-16 years old then they were put out a year and a half later somewhere on the internet. I saw it mentioned in idmforums years ago, even before WATMM caught up. The weird thing is whoever did the tracks never posted the tracks himself, and there was 0 interaction with the author, 0 social media and what not. Then, like 3 years later it got released by rephlex. I guess they saw the potential for great tracks on there. But there's definitely a lot of strange things about this. Like the guy trolling Tom from Planet-Mu when they offered him a record deal. They sent him an email and apparently he replied "thanks, but my cdrom is broken so I cant sent you any demos". Are you kidding me? Anyone here would be stocked to get contacted by Planet-Mu specially as a kid, yet he comes up with that shit. This is what really fucks with my mind. I've been following this thing for years now, and i've actually given up at expecting any extra information. Last i've heard is Grant saying there would be a follow up album, but nothing so far. As for the music itself, it has a different sound palette to me, I sometimes think it's totally different to Richard, Tom or whoever he gets compared to, BUT sometimes it really tricks my mind into thinking it's one of them, I get hit by that small magic moment of genius that no one else can give me, like "that was sooo neat", with the way things are programmed. Anyway, like I said, I don't really care anymore, I just hope I can get these tracks in digital, with the rest of non released tunes. It would be great if it is really some kid that cannot be bothered with anything.

Plusten/JK: This is confirmed NOT Richard or anyone in Rephlex. He has been putting out great music for years, has a bandcamp and released an EP recently. Great stuff, check it out: https://ner-plusten.bandcamp.com/track/rickshaw-funk

Dave Monolith: The other new signup along with Steinvord, great guy, saw him live, so yeah, pretty much not Richard, it's just some kid who's really good at it. Check out his soundcloud for great tunes. Let's just hope Rephlex doesn't delay too much any further releases from him.

I think this sums it up pretty much, hope this is clear enough, specially for all the newcomers joining now thanks to the upcoming Syro release.

Nice sum up indeed :)

I kinda missed the beginning of the Steinvord craze although I remember it being picked it by watmm long before the Rephlex release ( http://forum.watmm.com/topic/47364-steinvord-nonsense/ ) . Wasn't the myspace the only place of interaction? Where mister anon said "Hi i'm 18 y/o and I make music with a fucking computer" or something?

Mate, surely you can see the point being made in this thread; nobody is debating if Richard D. James made any of this stuff, rather than the stuff he releases under his Aphex Twin name is the benchmark 100% full on, this is the business, quality and the rest of his output varies in quality and vision, but is not necessarily 'better' or 'worse'.

Actually, why am I explaining this. You are a solid Anthony Fantano 0/10.

i'm still pretty convinced that Steinvord at least involves Richard in some way.

this song (1:49 notice the spectral smearing/time stretching effect that for some reason even AFX imitators have not tried to replicate)

and this have convinced me (sounds like a straight drukqs outtake to me)

but yeah Its really weird for me to listen to because im way less sure than I Was of the Tuss

edit: also for people saying it's obviously not RDJ because of the lack of complex melodies or similar Aphex-esque melodies, I would argue that if this *was* supposed to be a mysterious ambiguous side project project of RDJ he intentionally is toning down his typical melody style not just to make it more ambiguous but to make it fit more into a Macc And dgoHn (rephlex) drum&bass kind of a paradigm

i'm still pretty convinced that Steinvord at least involves Richard in some way.

this song (1:49 notice the spectral smearing/time stretching effect that for some reason even AFX imitators have not tried to replicate)

and this have convinced me (sounds like a straight drukqs outtake to me)

but yeah Its really weird for me to listen to because im way less sure than I Was of the Tuss

edit: also for people saying it's obviously not RDJ because of the lack of complex melodies or similar Aphex-esque melodies, I would argue that if this *was* supposed to be a mysterious ambiguous side project project of RDJ he intentionally is toning down his typical melody style not just to make it more ambiguous but to make it fit more into a Macc And dgoHn (rephlex) drum&bass kind of a paradigm

I think it's him as well.

Guest capitan mission

I follow some guys that make real good braindance and Im very suspicious about their true identity. They are into very interesting software/hardware, and the music is very rdj, I could put them as syro leaks and a lot of people could buy it. In fact im very surprised that nobody talked about them in watmm...
Personally I really think that richard released a lot of music anonymously, and Im very curious about Syro, I want to know what he choose to put under his big name.

I think this track is another pretty good indication that RDJ is Steinvord, particularly the sparsely played FM bass. The way it sonds very lively, organic, deep and powerful at the same time as it is subtle and slightly subdued. Just wait and see, Syro will be chock full of this kind of sound.

Also, who else has such a good grasp of ambivalent harmony like that? Most of RDJ's contemporaries are usually stuck in simple diatonic stuff, major or minor or pentatonic.

Guest Chesney

Also, who else has such a good grasp of ambivalent harmony like that?

jeez, So out of the millions of people making electronic music, RDJ is the only person that can achieve what you say?

That's crazy claiming.

Archived