IGNORED

Full Fader Interview Imminent

silentvision

So, how many sites have had teasers for their upcoming full interviews? What's going on? WARP setting hard dates for the interviews to be published? Or wanky sites trying their best to get hits?

So, how many sites have had teasers for their upcoming full interviews? What's going on? WARP setting hard dates for the interviews to be published? Or wanky sites trying their best to get hits?

I wondered about the same thing yesterday, the Full Fader + Pitchfork interview both said something along the lines of a Q&A they'll be running in the next few weeks. Groove Mag didn't, but they have sort of a reason to only publish a bit seeing how they'll press the full interview in the magazine.

I guess it boils down to clickbait reasons?

So for all the various reasons speculated for Richard's absence from releasing music, looks like the explanation is probably more mundane - he's been busy raising a family.

So for all the various reasons speculated for Richard's absence from releasing music, looks like the explanation is probably more mundane - he's been busy raising a family.

Andy from plaid said the same on facebook recently

he has had a pretty busy touring schedule, wouldnt it be easier to raise a family chilling at home in the studio then jetting around the world playing sets??

anyways it excites me to think syro will be more accessible then his other works that are somewhat imminent.. bring them on

Guest bitroast

it also sounds a bit like the freedom got to him a little bit (ie. tongue in cheek jab at warp for not asking for an album).

I read a fair few interviews with radiohead where they've said having a record deal and a deadline to deliver an album means they'll actually get their shit together and deliver an album. after their 6th album they left the deal/label and started releasing more independently, could release an album whenever they wanted. which of course resulted in them writing and going in the studio but never actually getting their shit together to turn it into something resembling an album.

maybe it's just a little bit of freedom / losing focus to put together an album, plus mundane family/personal stuff.

/idmgossip

probably true,

i also have a theory that Drugks being badly received when it got out hurt him a bit,

although he kept releasing stuff i think a part him was a bit broke,

because when i listen to Drugks, it's clearly the only album he made that has a structure and a story, a logic the track order, it sounds like sadness, melancholia, nostalgia

others appear to be the selection of the best tune on that mood and moment, but not Drugks

when the journalist asked about it : (source)

Some people have said that your last full artist album ‘Drukqs’ was a contract breaker with Warp?

Rubbish, I spent longer working on that than anything else.

the strange thing I expected Druqks to be hist best rated album like a 10/10 from pitchfork and every other magazine just because of its mindblowing complexity-originality also it was the year 2001 !!

then i read things like this:
The sterile, clinical feel and limited palette of the heavier electro numbers renders them grating, one-dimensional and sometimes entirely unlistenable.
there's an element of the Aphex Twin mystique missing. LOL WHAT ?
I think Druqks probably would have worked better as two separate releases with a lot more time and effort put into it.

Reviews should be banned for ever !

probably true,

i also have a theory that Drugks being badly received when it got out hurt him a bit,

because when i listen to Drugks, it's clearly the only album he made that has a structure and a story, a logic the track order, it sounds like sadness, melancholia, nostalgia

others appear to be the selection of the best tune on that mood and moment, but not Drugks

Some people have said that your last full artist album ‘Drukqs’ was a contract breaker with Warp?

I very much doubt Druqks being badly received hurt him.

Anyways, there were plenty of positive reviews amongst the low-to-mid ones.

probably true,

i also have a theory that Drukgs being badly received when it got out hurt him a bit,

because when i listen to Drukgs, it's clearly the only album he made that has a structure and a story, a logic the track order, it sounds like sadness, melancholia, nostalgia

others appear to be the selection of the best tune on that mood and moment, but not Drukgs

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I wondered about the same thing yesterday, the Full Fader + Pitchfork interview both said something along the lines of a Q&A they'll be running in the next few weeks. Groove Mag didn't, but they have sort of a reason to only publish a bit seeing how they'll press the full interview in the magazine.

I get the impression the Q&A bit has been done - happened in London a few days after the initial Syro announcement. Seems like journalists from various places were possibly all at the same Q&A session. They were supposed to be keeping to a strict code of silence until an agreed time in the future but Fader broke this and published their teaser article with a few bits of info from the full thing which they haven't published yet. Then Pitchfork did the same because it didn't matter anymore. Warp probably aren't happy about it. So yeah what's been published already is just a teaser to get more web traffic essentially. If they did it in one go there would be a massive spike then a tail off - this way they get traffic from the teaser then more later when the full interview goes online and probably quite a bit of clickthrough from people double checking they haven't missed anything in the meantime

I get the impression the Q&A bit has been done - happened in London a few days after the initial Syro announcement. Seems like journalists from various places were possibly all at the same Q&A session. They were supposed to be keeping to a strict code of silence until an agreed time in the future but Fader broke this and published their teaser article with a few bits of info from the full thing which they haven't published yet. Then Pitchfork did the same because it didn't matter anymore. Warp probably aren't happy about it. So yeah what's been published already is just a teaser to get more web traffic essentially. If they did it in one go there would be a massive spike then a tail off - this way they get traffic from the teaser then more later when the full interview goes online and probably quite a bit of clickthrough from people double checking they haven't missed anything in the meantime

Yeah, the most recent interview revealed a bit about the way this was done, like you describe about the code of silence. If I have to believe that Oor interview there was one Dutch journalist, one French journalist, etc. being invited to fly over to London for the interview.

probably true,

I very much doubt Druqks being badly received hurt him.

Anyways, there were plenty of positive reviews amongst the low-to-mid ones.

of course he's not hurt. i can't imagine afx as someone how cares about what morons think. if druqks is not work of genius i dont know what is.

Archived