IGNORED

Is this (SYRO) the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

mcbpete

Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

• Yep
    • Nope

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is one for the some of the 90s afx fanboys, do you guys remember the promo sticker they had on the front cover of SAWII in stores? It said something like "Aphex twin is the mozart of electronic music" cant remember the exact wording

Guest Papillon

Omg I feel so old - am I the only one who bought Joyrex J4 and ABB 3 when they were new releases???

26 mixes for cash, window licker etc. we're released long after I was a fan.

I voted no but i meant yes in a way. I always admired Richard, but was never super excited about releases (from any artist) until around the time I joined WATMM (which coincided with me abandoning a tv and listening to music more frequently. Music had become more important to me then. And that was 2011, so I guess this really is the first release of his that I really give a shit about. I cannae wait for the mail to arrive from Japan!

This was my first experience of him http://m.mixcloud.com/jamesmullarkey/aphex-twin-live-at-sound-city-sheffield-9th-april-1993/

I taped it off the radio, mind blown. Still got the tape somewhere...

amazing, thanks for sharing

imagine going to see Jamiroquai and M-People and you get this guy in between who plays a 5 minute ambient song followed by come on you slags :music::aphexsign:

No worries, but can't take credit for the link - found it a while ago... My recording was interrupted by having to flip my tape over, I was so excited at the time I just grabbed the nearest one without checking to see how much space was left haha.

But yeah I can imagine there were some very confused people there :-)

Guest escmode

Omg I feel so old - am I the only one who bought Joyrex J4 and ABB 3 when they were new releases???

Nope, I feel old round these parts too - my first EP was Digerido in 92 followed by Xylem tube soon after. RDJ is 3 months my senior - so I'll be lucky to hear anything from his vaults of 'release after death' material. hahah Partly why I'm so super friggin excited about Syro and the hinted at upcoming releases. hurry Richard... hurry... I'm getting heart tremors.

Guest Papillon

Nope, I feel old round these parts too - my first EP was Digerido in 92 followed by Xylem tube soon after. RDJ is 3 months my senior - so I'll be lucky to hear anything from his vaults of 'release after death' material. hahah Partly why I'm so super friggin excited about Syro and the hinted at upcoming releases. hurry Richard... hurry... I'm getting heart tremors.

Thank you escmode. Good to know I'm not going to be the oldest (dad) type guy at the listening party.

Guest escmode

Thank you escmode. Good to know I'm not going to be the oldest (dad) type guy at the listening party.

Yea.... I can't attend the listening party for that exact reason - I'm a full-time single dad. It was fascinating to read in the Rolling Stone interview that Aphex has to drag his kids to school in the morning too, having been up all night twiddling. I know that feeling, but that is the best time to make music - while the kids sleep and the crisp 606 hi-hats resonate uninterrupted throughout the house.

Yea.... I can't attend the listening party for that exact reason - I'm a full-time single dad. It was fascinating to read in the Rolling Stone interview that Aphex has to drag his kids to school in the morning too, having been up all night twiddling. I know that feeling, but that is the best time to make music - while the kids sleep and the crisp 606 hi-hats resonate uninterrupted throughout the house.

Have you soundproofed the bedrooms? Or is the whole family very understanding of your dadly & twiddly needs?

Guest escmode

Have you soundproofed the bedrooms? Or is the whole family very understanding of your dadly & twiddly needs?

Nah, for one thing, the family is small - just me and my 11 year old. She's used to it by now - and will sleep through anything, but the headphones are utilized past midnight :music:

Guest progben

I heard 4., Milkman and maybe some stuff on SAWII as the backing to David Firth's cartoons when I was maybe 12-13. Didn't notice at first but this was my gateway into electronic and ambient music, as well as surrealist cinema etc. I rediscovered Richard's work in College when a friend leant me a mix, and then I listened to Druqks pretty extensively at University (I deployed it as a trolling device at flat parties, mostly, after sitting through 2 hours of manufactured EDM balls).

This last few weeks has given me time to really dig into his discog, and I've ended up preferring his more techno output (Tuss, GAK, Polygon Window etc). I actually think Rushup i Bank 12 might be the best non-ambient song he's recorded to date. NB. it's all great though.

For me it was the Digeridoo EP in 1992 and specifically Isopropophlex that hooked me. I was in my last year of school and we had never heard anything so different and so original. Since then I've used RDJ as my benchmark, (jeez did I just admit that?)

(I deployed it as a trolling device at flat parties, mostly, after sitting through 2 hours of manufactured EDM balls).

Ha ha years ago I deployed Tamphex(Headfuq mix) many times mainly to remove certain Philistines out of our student house, and when the numpty in the flat upstairs had kept me awake all night. Such a tight kick drum, such loud speakers.

Guest Papillon

Oh but I'll go anyway... I don't care if I'm a bit older than the other people... I'll just pretend to be a press person lol.

For me, I guess the first AFX full length would have been Drukqs, but the first new release after I became a fan was Windowlicker. Like a lot of you, I became a fan after hearing Further Down the Spiral in 1995. After that, I saw the Come to Daddy video and hated it at first, but saw the CD out shopping one day and decided to buy it. It was one of the best purchases I'd ever made.

For me, I guess the first AFX full length would have been Drukqs, but the first new release after I became a fan was Windowlicker. Like a lot of you, I became a fan after hearing Further Down the Spiral in 1995. After that, I saw the Come to Daddy video and hated it at first, but saw the CD out shopping one day and decided to buy it. It was one of the best purchases I'd ever made.

To add on to this, the reason my screen name is flim is because that's the track that made me an eternal fan. When I bought the Come to Daddy CD, I still didn't like the song, but the next track after it BLEW MY MIND.

So while it's not my favorite track of his, it is probably the most important to me.

I’ve got Joel Schumacher and Bam Margera to blame for my Aphex addiction. Me and my friend watched 8mm and tried to figure out what was that sick tune in the Machine’s house scene. It was confirmed to be CTD when we checked the credits of some bootlegged CKY episode and spotted Aphex being credited in both movies. So we decided to try to get some Aphex releases but it turned out that the only one that was somewhat available was Drukqs which was recently released. It took a month to wait to get even that. And later when I decided to get an own copy it took three months!

I remember when we finally got to hear Drukqs it was so different from everything we had ever heard. We were at our band’s rehearsal place blasting the album and when Omgyjya-switch 7 kicked in I was so amazed that there even exists music like this. The track has a special place in my heart to this day. At the time of Cock ver.10 we just stared each other and were very impressed. Drukqs simply shitted over every record I had in my collection. Only music that could have been called as electronic music even distantly was Prodigy or some shitty euro dance like Captain Jack. Living in the very small town/village only music people knew were something like Nightwish, Children Of Bodom or Cradle Of Filth. There wasn’t really a channel to get to hear this kind of stuff. No MTV here and the super-slow ISDN didn’t really help the situation.

So yeah, this is my first Aphex album launch. I didn’t even know that Analords or Tuss were released until they hit the shelf of local record stores.

/Cool story bro, eh

I’ve got Joel Schumacher and Bam Margera to blame for my Aphex addiction. Me and my friend watched 8mm and tried to figure out what was that sick tune in the Machine’s house scene. It was confirmed to be CTD when we checked the credits of some bootlegged CKY episode and spotted Aphex being credited in both movies. So we decided to try to get some Aphex releases but it turned out that the only one that was somewhat available was Drukqs which was recently released. It took a month to wait to get even that. And later when I decided to get an own copy it took three months!

I remember when we finally got to hear Drukqs it was so different from everything we had ever heard. We were at our band’s rehearsal place blasting the album and when Omgyjya-switch 7 kicked in I was so amazed that there even exists music like this. The track has a special place in my heart to this day. At the time of Cock ver.10 we just stared each other and were very impressed. Drukqs simply shitted over every record I had in my collection. Only music that could have been called as electronic music even distantly was Prodigy or some shitty euro dance like Captain Jack. Living in the very small town/village only music people knew were something like Nightwish, Children Of Bodom or Cradle Of Filth. There wasn’t really a channel to get to hear this kind of stuff. No MTV here and the super-slow ISDN didn’t really help the situation.

So yeah, this is my first Aphex album launch. I didn’t even know that Analords or Tuss were released until they hit the shelf of local record stores.

/Cool story bro, eh

Cool story bro

cKy the band is so underrated

I got into Aphex Twin when I saw Come to Daddy on MTV one day after school. I was absolutely glued to the television. After that, I went to a Blockbuster Music store (lol) and bought the CD along with the RDJ album. I bought the RDJ album w/out even listening to it. Just because his face was so creepy on it and I loved it.

Been hooked ever since.

I remember trying to get all my friends to listen to it with me, some of them dug it, but a lot of them called me an idiot for thinking it was good. Fuck 'em.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum. I just wish I would have found it more recently. I didn't know there was such a large community of fans. You guys rock.

Archived