IGNORED

Is this (SYRO) the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

mcbpete

Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

• Yep
    • Nope

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side note: pretty sure I watched the video for On a few times as a kid. Swore they aired it between ads and shows on Nickelodeon back in the mid-90s.

Maybe they were testing the pilot for MTV's AMP on kids then. That came around 1997 I think. On was on that first episode.

I came in after being hooked by the NIN tracks, so Hangable Auto Bulb may very well have been released just as I was becoming a fan. It was right there, like tail end of 95/beginning of 96. First new was Girl/Boy Song single and Richard D. James Album most likely in the same order from my local shop, but I had a stack of the old stuff already at that point. 95/96 was a magical winter. Is it me or did the Sire US version of RDJ Album come out a little later. I just remember getting the UK one with the single separate.

I got in sorthly before DruQks came out, so technically yes, I guess, since I wasn't such a fanboi by then.

But I still was there for the mixes for cash (have them chocolate coins still), the 2 remixes by AFX, smojphace, and obviously analord and the motherfucking tuss.

Analord 10 was a big fucking deal at the time, with the binder thing and all. Dare I say the hype levels were even bigger? maybe i say that because I have been 'missing' for a year or so and because for some reason I don't even listen music anymore (I'm still excited for syro don't worry) but I'm pretty sure people were as excited back then as they are now.

As i write this many memories come to mind, good times IDM scene, good times...

yes :cerious: I hadn't realised that. wow, that puts the length of time between Aphex albums in perspective. I first got into him in 2002 after seeing Windowlicker late one night on Rage.

I own fuckin loads of squarepusher CDs tho, I always thought he looked like he needed the money more.

uYGal.jpg

"10p towards a mac upgrade please sir ?"

where is Tom lately... if he were to announce a new album before the end of this year, it would be glorious. like an iddemz renaissance.

was a fan pre drukqs. picked up my local record store's promo copy for $5 the day before it came out (getting a 2x album for that little was a pretty big deal to me because i was about 14 yrs old and basically had no money)

I think I must have been introduced to him the year druqks came out. So yes.

Metz is my jam. I can't wait to hear the album version of that. Track is insane.

I got hooked on him via Come To Daddy listening to Come To Daddy and later IZ-US on repeat. I liked IZ-US's intro but it didn't click until I heard the whole thing. I also recall listening to CTD and running around the house throwing super fast punches in the air trying to mimic the energy and speed of the tune. Interestingly enough back when I was 8 I would listen to Beethoven's 5th Symphony since it was a free track on Windows 95 to go with their media player and I'd run around in circles as it would build up. Now I'm pretty sure that was the track could have been something else.

I think I first heard Aphex Twin in 2003 (I was 11) so I guess all his albums had been released when I first heard come to daddy and then eventually dove through all his music. I recall using lime wire patiently waiting with great anticipation to listen to Reunion 2. I was hooked immensely by the first few seconds and couldn't wait for it to download (Good ol 56kbps). I was defined the moment I got hooked on Aphex twin.

Here is me doing the Richard D. James Album cover when I was 16 (which was posted to my Geocities website, along with CG artwork and Bruce Lee impressions):

mu_RDJA16.jpg

I'm now almost 33. So uh... Yah, I've been a "fan" for awhile.

p.s. Syro reminds me of what it used to feel like to be excited about new releases and going to the record shop to buy the CD. Music used to be so fucking huge in my life! It still is... but I don't spend commutes listening to mu-ziq, and I don't spend nights sleeping to Atari Teenage Riot. I mostly listen to internet musics and soundcloud feed at work- "to experience new sounds". But shit I've been really excited about... Syro totally tops everything in the past I dunno how many years. Squarepusher's Ufabulum was sort of exciting, and then I saw the first music video to come from it and I was like WTF IS THIS RETARDED SHIT (even though track was good)..... And then mu-ziq is one of my all time favorites, but then I just wasn't feeling everything after and including Duntisbourne... not as much as Astralwerks era output, anyway. Some pretty good singles in the past 10+ years, though, from tons of electronic artists. But albums! Albums..... I don't even care about the music of Syro at this point-- it just feels really good to be excited again like a teenager (that's what she said, etc.).

Guest transmisiones ferox

Someone should just take this thread and make a quick movie with autotune or someshit over it, with aphex twin and upload it on youtube, so I can just watch it,

sorry, really some exciting stories over here!

also. Yes.

Guest trananhhung

I guess it was the track from FDTS that introduced me to him. I was probably 18 and I remember a friend saying that the track sounded like pans and pressure cookers being hit.

I remember CTD and Windowlicker from MTV but somehow they never got my full attention. They sounded too pop? I was really into industrial rock bands at the time: Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende...

Then when I was 20 I saw I care because you do in a Fnac store and they even had RDJ album and SAW 2. The cover for I care looked more accessible and also the year of release was the same of the FDTS track so I bought that with my weekly lunch money for the university canteen. I had no idea what the cd would sound like. I bought it because Reznor was always referring to him when I was a teenager.

I heard it over and over again lending it to all my friends. It sounded so otherworldly. All those weird high pitch snares and sad melodies. I remember thinking, this is my favourite music ever! It's still my favourite aphex CD.

And then I got really into Squarepusher and actually preferred Tom to Richard. All that jungle madness. I bought Go Plastic on release day and it's probably my most played record of all time. I bought Druqks a couple of months later and I have to be honest and say that at the time I thought it didn't top Go Plastic. It was really good but after my first listen I remember thinking, Tom is still the best.

However, Druqks grew on me during the next years, mainly because I recorded on tape and me and my friends (specially my friends!) were always listening to it. Taking the tapes to every car we got in.

Noobs.

I bought SAW1 from Our Price records the day it came out. It was the first ever CD I owned.

I saw Polygon Window live at The Leadmill in 1994.

Well back in the stack, fam.

Used to buy Select magazine too, and read the amusing bits they had in there with a fake RDJ talking about stuff, with that photo of him on the lead up to icbyd.

etc.

The first time I actually heard aphex was back in '94 because my uncle had SAW II. This is good music for a 7 year old to hear. I thought a lot of the tracks were recorded from the inside of pyramids or ancient temples, like someone just stuck a microphone in there and recorded whatever sounds were happening in there. I think I got distracted by his Dinosaur jr CDs though.

Then I became a total fan in 2007.

Nice - proper ol' skool :) SAWII ended up being my first album purchase myself too, though by that point it'd been out many years beforehand. Think my album buys were something like:

SAW II

I Care Because You Do

SAW I

Drukqs (on launch day)

Richard D James Album

26 Mixes for Cash (if that counts)

This, just around when ICBYD came out. from RDJ on I got them when they came out via warp/bleep

I bought SAW1 from Our Price records the day it came out. It was the first ever CD I owned.

Ahh, God bless Our Price, with its big red stickers. I spent a small fortune in our local branch.

I don't even know what made me buy the Aphex cd from Our Price.

I had been listening to KISSfm on Thursday nights (the techno night, with Juan Aiktins, etc), and I really liked the minimal sound of the techno they were playing, especially through the really bad radio signal I got out in Hertfordshire, on the edge of the radio range for KISSfms transmitters... I used to record every show to tape, and make sure the tape labels were lined up perfectly, and everything was clean when I listened to them. Kind of added to the whole clinical nature of the techno music, I suppose, like having a clean pair of trainers.

A few years before this, I had taught myself how to use trackers on my Amiga 500 (I would have only been about 11 years old). Comparing the sounds that I could get out of the tracker on the Amiga, which I only had Amiga Format cover disks for samples, and the odd sample or two I could rip from demos at the time, I felt like I didn't have the equipment to make the clean, analytical sound of techno that I loved to listen to on tape.

Then I bought that Aphex Twin cd, drawn to it by the cover which was just plain black and white, and seemed to stand out amongst the rest of the Trance Europe Express style sleeves that were the fashion at the time.

Took it home and listened, and it was as if this vast, all powerful presence was showing me just how beautiful and magnificent, and sad and delicate and personal and lonely the shitty sounds I had in my Amiga 500 could be, and that if I wanted to record my sister shouting in the garden at me through the window, and include that in a track, then that was totally fine... And from then on, nothing really else mattered, if I am honest. It is all just not as good as what he does.

yeah it'll be my first album of aphex twin, this SYRO, (sirop?)

true words : no, it'll be maybe my last album of aphex twin...

this is the shit we been waiting for all these years AxAxixSxPx, we are the afx nerds and we did it

sip some syro with your pal ooze will ya :beer:

A few years before this, I had taught myself how to use trackers on my Amiga 500 (I would have only been about 11 years old). Comparing the sounds that I could get out of the tracker on the Amiga, which I only had Amiga Format cover disks for samples, and the odd sample or two I could rip from demos at the time

Were you a *MED or a *TRACKER head back in the day? (I started off on Octomed 3 - free on CU Amiga, then ProTracker - free on something or other - may have even bought it from a PD house, then I think back to Octomed 6 - free on Amiga Format)

I'm a fan since 2008, haven't been able to buy any album because i live in Venezuela, so i got the discography from The Pirate Bay. My all-time favorite track is Xtal from SAW85-92, second one is Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount. I really hope that this album blows our minds.
Saludos :)

Archived