IGNORED

Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and what's this about warp charging aphex for the purchase of the caustic window kickstarter bids for everyone in their office? Is there another receipt picture floating around that i haven't seen or was the interviewer a bit lost ?

and what's this about warp charging aphex for the purchase of the caustic window kickstarter bids for everyone in their office? Is there another receipt picture floating around that i haven't seen or was the interviewer a bit lost ?

It was listed on the larger version of the cover.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0161/8690/products/WARPLP247_Packshot_2400_1024x1024.jpg%3Fv%3D1408645991

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0161/8690/products/WARPLP247_Packshot_2400_1024x1024.jpg%3Fv%3D1408645991

God, well that's a bit disingenuious that they just charge it back to richard. Good thing that he got them to itemize the bill when things like this crop up. (well unless caustic window itself was part of the viral campaign for this album).

Also i wonder if this bill is soley for the current production run of the release. If they have to repress they shouldn't be able to any longer claim these expenses should they. Aphex should be on to that straight away, because if it does well enough to get to that stage, he's already paid all their christmas bonuses through the half of the net profit that they will be claming, therefore he should not have to keep paying for these calculated proportions per unit past the first pressing.

Wow, so he admits Rephlex is defunct. So do we think they are somewhat funding these Aleksi and EDM releases?

It doesn't appear so with the whole 'PayPal us some cash plz, k, thx, until we meet again' modus operandi. It seems to be a basic DIY crowdfund affair. I like this method. It's engaging, 'underground', and slightly wonky. Quite IDM (EDM?) I suppose. I wouldn't put it past rich fronting some cash if grant needed it, but I don't think that's the plan from here on out. For me, it's definitely more satisfying to deal directly with the label/artist. it's not as convenient, but I feel it's means more to me in the end. we shall see...

Wow, so he admits Rephlex is defunct. So do we think they are somewhat funding these Aleksi and EDM releases?

It doesn't appear so with the whole 'PayPal us some cash plz, k, thx, until we meet again' modus operandi. It seems to be a basic DIY crowdfund affair. I like this method. It's engaging, 'underground', and slightly wonky. Quite IDM (EDM?) I suppose. I wouldn't put it past rich fronting some cash if grant needed it, but I don't think that's the plan from here on out. For me, it's definitely more satisfying to deal directly with the label/artist. it's not as convenient, but I feel it's means more to me in the end. we shall see...

"Was that the reason behind Rephlex now being defunct (since October of last year)?

It didnt help in any case, no, but there was more going on as well. I felt bad about it. Everything that isnt a standard release is a fucking headache. If I ask something like that to Warp theres a whole team behind it and everything is calculated and accounted for. With Rephlex I would just ask (longtime friend and companion) Grant (Wilson-Claridge). Grant, shall we release those 12-inches in a binder? And yes, we just did it. Fuck it. Dont doubt, do it! Every time I opened my mouth it was two weeks of work for Grant. I have to watch out with that. With Warp its different. During our last meeting they told me: you can do anything you want, make it as crazy as you want, well just add it in the retail price. I believe they recently did a special release with Brian Eno that was about 200 pounds. I wouldnt go that far, but I do want to do something special thats really worth it. As long as it would state on the sleeve how much everything would cost, so people know youre not paying 200 pounds for a piece of plastic but for a high quality product."

God, well that's a bit disingenuious that they just charge it back to richard. Good thing that he got them to itemize the bill when things like this crop up. (well unless caustic window itself was part of the viral campaign for this album).

Also i wonder if this bill is soley for the current production run of the release. If they have to repress they shouldn't be able to any longer claim these expenses should they. Aphex should be on to that straight away, because if it does well enough to get to that stage, he's already paid all their christmas bonuses through the half of the net profit that they will be claming, therefore he should not have to keep paying for these calculated proportions per unit past the first pressing.

It would be so cool if every pressing/type of release (cd/vynil) would look different. I also wonder what kind of artwork you'd get with the digital release. I'm sure these prices are divided by the number of physical releases they made...

It would be so cool if every pressing/type of release (cd/vynil) would look different. I also wonder what kind of artwork you'd get with the digital release. I'm sure these prices are divided by the number of physical releases they made...
I would think the other releases just feature different parts of that budget, the full artwork looked like a long printout.

"Was that the reason behind Rephlex now being defunct (since October of last year)?

It didnt help in any case, no, but there was more going on as well. I felt bad about it. Everything that isnt a standard release is a fucking headache. If I ask something like that to Warp theres a whole team behind it and everything is calculated and accounted for. With Rephlex I would just ask (longtime friend and companion) Grant (Wilson-Claridge). Grant, shall we release those 12-inches in a binder? And yes, we just did it. Fuck it. Dont doubt, do it! Every time I opened my mouth it was two weeks of work for Grant. I have to watch out with that. With Warp its different. During our last meeting they told me: you can do anything you want, make it as crazy as you want, well just add it in the retail price. I believe they recently did a special release with Brian Eno that was about 200 pounds. I wouldnt go that far, but I do want to do something special thats really worth it. As long as it would state on the sleeve how much everything would cost, so people know youre not paying 200 pounds for a piece of plastic but for a high quality product."

You lost me. Why are you reposting this?

He is saying yes they are no longer a functioning label bc of financial bullshit, but like I said I think they are at least initially funding these covert releases.

So he's tired of the financial bullshit but he's going to continue with the financial bullshit in secrecy? I dunno, I think now these projects have a certain number of orders in mind where they can at least break even on the physicals. Anything over that is a success and then you release digitals down the road once you think you've reached everyone who will jump on a run of 150-250 at $40+ a pop. People pay upfront with little info and no promises. if it falls apart refunds go out. maybe there is some initial support for this new strategy so the first few don't bomb. For the most part, I take that Richard is over it and is letting grant/former rephlexians do their own thing. he's said that new production is back in his interest. we now know there's a family to support and it sure seems he's expressing a lot of interest in what things really cost, even though he says it's not about the money, which is such a fib. I think he's getting older and changing like we all do/should do. The days of dumping thousands and thousands into ideas on a whim for grant/insert artist here to sort out is over, label or not. that business plan didn't work then and it certainly doesn't work now. It was fun until it wasn't.

Maybe he'll start an archive cassette label and dupe tapes in the basement when the missus is busting balls. he can finally get all that material out. that's my dream.

Just a heads up, I'll post a translation of the Oor interview in an hour or so.

Thanks for the translation, m8! Great stuff to see. Yeah, seems in good spirits as someone else said, which is nice.

Interesting to learn about how much of a major pain it is to run a record label as an artist. Not part of my world, so hadn't thought that much about it before. I can see why an artist would find some appeal in just having a regular business (i.e., major-ish label) run that side of things. Esp if they're like, "do whatever you want on the special editions, make it as crazy as you want!" And really cool that he is ready to admit being The Tuss!

He is saying yes they are no longer a functioning label bc of financial bullshit, but like I said I think they are at least initially funding these covert releases.

So he's tired of the financial bullshit but he's going to continue with the financial bullshit in secrecy? I dunno, I think now these projects have a certain number of orders in mind where they can at least break even on the physicals. Anything over that is a success and then you release digitals down the road once you think you've reached everyone who will jump on a run of 150-250 at $40+ a pop. People pay upfront with little info and no promises. if it falls apart refunds go out. maybe there is some initial support for this new strategy so the first few don't bomb. For the most part, I take that Richard is over it and is letting grant/former rephlexians do their own thing. he's said that new production is back in his interest. we now know there's a family to support and it sure seems he's expressing a lot of interest in what things really cost, even though he says it's not about the money, which is such a fib. I think he's getting older and changing like we all do/should do. The days of dumping thousands and thousands into ideas on a whim for grant/insert artist here to sort out is over, label or not. that business plan didn't work then and it certainly doesn't work now. It was fun until it wasn't.

Maybe he'll start an archive cassette label and dupe tapes in the basement when the missus is busting balls. he can finally get all that material out. that's my dream.

yes, Mike Paradinas seems to be a more successful label head than Rich & Grant, maybe they should have absorbed Rephlex. And we know why all those old releases have bandcamped now.

I am curious to see the costs list of the ultra expensive vinys.

I also think that Aphex Twin listeners must be all geeks who know about Bandcamp and stuff like that. So, why doesnt he release that stuff over there? Wouldnt he has more profit? Wouldnt he be saving a lot of releasing headaches by releasing his stuff himself? I hate seeing all those costs, they seem bullshit stuff to me. What I like about Aphex Twin? The music. What I am paying for? Lots of marketing stuff which I dont give a fuck about.

Many, many, many people just stream the music on Bandcamp, countless times, without buying. The stream/buy ratio is often depressing.

Oh and without any kind of marketing, most of us would never have heard of RDJ...

Many, many, many people just stream the music on Bandcamp, countless times, without buying. The stream/buy ratio is often depressing.

Yeah, if it weren't for Bandcamp, people would buy the album from Bleep, because they dont even know how to download pirated stuff...

I was talking about the simplicity of it. You like something, you give money to them.

Oh and without any kind of marketing, most of us would never have heard of RDJ...

A thread started by Joyrex saying that he imminently would be releasing new stuff, was sufficient to me. But marketing is OK, but I though about more geeky one, like ads on Reddit or 4chan or stuff like that. I always picture Aphex Twin fans to be that kind of people.

thx Herr Jan

I can't figure out why people are so intrested in all these Money bullshit and business things with Warp, Rephlex and RDJ. His private life is really much much intresting than that.

For me the intresting stuff is Syro, how the process is with other materials, unreleased things, Melodies from Mars, future plans and his career.

thx Herr Jan

I can't figure out why people are so intrested in all these Money bullshit and business things with Warp, Rephlex and RDJ. His private life is really much much intresting than that.

For me the intresting stuff is Syro, how the process is with other materials, unreleased things, Melodies from Mars, future plans and his career.

To some extent, though, he's calling attention to the money side of things. With some of this stuff, Aphex makes it part of his public persona. By telling interviewers that he's interested in the money story behind mundane things like advertising, and by making it part of the visual art with his album, he's inviting fans to look at this stuff from a different angle.

yeah of course you have right about that.. I can totally understand that too. You don't wanna hear from people or fans that you're greedy and milking money from fans.

Archived