IGNORED

MC-202 or Analog Four

ceiling

Sell the 202... It's time to move on mate... I had one for years and although it is excellent I rarely used it because of the fact that you can't save patterns without recording the audio data feed. Time consuming

buying the A4 was my solution to this problem.

Guest dragon feces

analog 4, especially if it's your only piece. i don't have one (friend does) but i have a 202. i love the sound of the 202 but one voice of the a4 is loads more flexible and you get four of them, plus the sequencer blows it away. a bit of a different approach to sequencing where you chain short patterns together instead of programming one long pattern. the big advantage imo is being able to enter new patterns and switch between parts live. the synth interface isn't as direct and there's some menu diving because of all the functionality packed in the thing. as a side note, i don't think silent way will let you do parameter lock type stuff on the 202 unless you've modded it with extra cv ins.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't afford the analog four, prices have dropped on ebay so my 202 sold for a lot less then I was hoping. I had to purchase a monomachine instead, hope this was a good call, we shall see. Just hope I can deal with the digital sound, looking forward to having a lot more creative possibilities though.

i believe you have to mod the 202 to bypass something for cv gate input. otherwise there's a delay. i also recommend VCF input mod. very useful and sounds awesome

Couldn't afford the analog four, prices have dropped on ebay so my 202 sold for a lot less then I was hoping. I had to purchase a monomachine instead, hope this was a good call, we shall see. Just hope I can deal with the digital sound, looking forward to having a lot more creative possibilities though.

Sorry to hear about the price - I guess someone has had a bargain so lets hope they appreciate it. The good thing is that you will most likely get your money back on the Monomachine if you decide its not for you. The sound is definately not the same on the MnM as the 202, so it might be a bit of a shock to begin with but the sequencer is where its at with Elektron gear. The seemingly simple synth engines come alive when you pair it to the sequencer, so dig deep would be my advice :)

I quite like this video as it shows quite a lot of the aspects of the MnM without the hands flailing around all over the thing like on the Dataline demos (which are ace but the guy ain't exactly what I'd call a 'normal' user :))

Anyway

The other nice part about the MnM is that it will trigger external midi devices from its sequencer (which the A4 will only send cv), so again, if you gel with the sequencer you can add a couple of little analog synths in the future to fill the void of the 202.

Archived