Rolling Stone

Issue 1218

United States

Taylor Swift cover

September 25, 2014

Page 64

Boooooo, he should have got the cover!

Cool, hes gone from being 80s music to being 70s Jazz Funk now. :cisfor:

Taylor Swift made the cover. Syro gets an honorable mention somewhere. It's all about the $$$, review invalid.

"Few do it better" doesn't make sense because no one else harps this style, and the RAM comparison is such a cop out as well. Makes little to no sense. Is it funky? Must be inspired by Daft Punk.

i have syro desire to hear a review about aphex or minipops. im not "on the fence" about aphex's outlook on music, his taste and definetly not minipops. i dont need some radiohead loving hipster to toxify my experience

if that's aimed at me, well. cheers. I was just trying to help... god forums are elitist.

fwiw, been listening to aphex quite happily since '94, when a friend of mine interned at ambient soho. was a revelation, never looked back. let's feel the love?

Taylor Swift made the cover. Syro gets an honorable mention somewhere. It's all about the $$$, review invalid.

Totally. I only ever read music reviews to, in turn, review what that person has said. It's interesting to see what industry thinks of Syro, but that'll never skew my experience of the record for better or worse.

The very best review of Syro for me will be putting the album on with a group of friends (some big afx fans, some not), and see how they react.

That's what I thought as well. Then I realised that I'm just an old fanboi who hates when journalists (especially those younger than me) tries to review my favourite artists. The review can never be good enough. They can never grasp the significance of the music like me. If they have other opinions than me, they don't understand it.

Not trying to be sarcastic btw. These are my thoughts, escpecially about reviews in the mainstream media.

hah !! really. People get paid to be this clueless? (that's the bit that gets me, if it was an amateur sure ok, but if you want a professional, why not subcontract the review out to a watmmr (then we'd get to hear it already !!)). (but yeah, we're grumpy old men too, have been since we were little).

Guest ansgaria

A Danish newspaper reviewed the record, referring to certain moments being, and I quote, "almost spastic krautrock". Though I haven't listened to the record yet, I strongly doubt this is the case.

best review has been from richard himself:

"But I don't think these [syro] tracks are particularly innovative. Maybe in really subtle ways they are, for me, but there's nothing there that I need to explore more, so it's not going to put me off releasing anything. It just totally makes me want to not do anything else in that particular style."

enjoying the album very much

Guest jasondonervan

"I'm sat here smiling rather than frowning so something worthwhile is shitting in my ears this morning"

"You don't want to read this anyway - it's fanboy bullshit. Buy the album you divs!"

Oh, Norman Records... never change :wub:

thanks, that IS a great review and altogether fitting! + i got my word of the day for today:

discombobulated

i didn't know it just a few moments ago, but now i realize that's what i'd hoped the album would be like. strange huh.

Archived