IGNORED

Syro Gear Discussion

chim

Interesting, thinking about it, it makes totally sense to list all the equipment used in the making. I mean paintings always list all the materials used, like 'oil on canvas' etc.

it demonstrates confidence on the artist's part, since it's never about the gear, it's all about how it's being used. I hope this catches on, i don't see much of a point in keeping it all secret anymore.

Actually, i'm sure this will catch on eventually, and we'll be looking back and admiring how ahead of his time mr. james was, again.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for modular acid, it's debatable quite how close to the sound of a TB-303 you can get, but you can definitely get some great sounds in their own right that way, and it's much more versatile.

I've spent years making acid sounds with other synths and feel like I have gotten pretty good at it, but I found a TT-303 clone at a nice price last month and bought it...and I'm deeply in love with it. I thought the limited range might lead to some buyer's remorse but the upside is that you never have to worry about falling out of the sweet spot, no matter what you do it still sounds like a 303. It's weirdly liberating, whereas usually I'm all about how many slots a synth has in the modulation matrix and so on.

BTW I saw your tb-style Eurorack sequencer, that looks dope. If I ever give in to the modular addiction that would be at the top of my list.

Interesting, thinking about it, it makes totally sense to list all the equipment used in the making. I mean paintings always list all the materials used, like 'oil on canvas' etc.

it demonstrates confidence on the artist's part, since it's never about the gear, it's all about how it's being used. I hope this catches on, i don't see much of a point in keeping it all secret anymore.

Actually, i'm sure this will catch on eventually, and we'll be looking back and admiring how ahead of his time mr. james was, again.

that's not exactly equivalent. while an artwork might say "oil on canvas" it does not specify specific brands. I think it would be a better analogy if rdj just wrote "sampler, drumachine, etc."

while I certainly think this is cool id be way more intrigued to learn what gear was used on earlier rdj stuff.

sick, as a gear nerd this is great, he probably just didnt want to have to talk about gear in interviews although he still cant help but mention his collection.

I was certain the acid lines in the tuss stuff and some of the analords werent 303s, modulars for acid are the way to do it. Cant say there are any massive surprises but getting into high end gear is the logical progression.

very cool gear list. there is no worry about imitators because i think he has shown no one comes close, many imitators who have started ripping him off have kinda moved on into their own which is cool.

People will always say you can re-create most of this with software (but you and I both know you just cant)

hardware wins dudes, any and everyday (+ the whole nothing against software and all the best use software for some kinda mixing arranging etc cause i dont wanna offend any guys who cant prioritise enough money to buy some gear :emotawesomepm9: )

Im guessing the mods on the digital synths might be a filter or something, ive heard of guys chucking a lowpass on dx100's before..

Yawn

Guest capitan mission

surely this is truly a lot of richard equipment, but wtf it says "disinfographic". Just because the word looked cool, because the way its presented (in fact is presented as an infographic) , or because is a joke?
anyway, surely he have a lot of fun trying different approach's to make his music all the past years, too keep the process fun. Surely he can make an awesome album with just plugins, in fact, with just a couple of plugins, but after so many years, and if you have the money, why not buy lot of different toys and try other approach?

that's not exactly equivalent. while an artwork might say "oil on canvas" it does not specify specific brands. I think it would be a better analogy if rdj just wrote "sampler, drumachine, etc."

while I certainly think this is cool id be way more intrigued to learn what gear was used on earlier rdj stuff.

Yeah that analogy was a bit off, anyways this feels like a fresh and much welcomed new approach to releasing music.

surely this is truly a lot of richard equipment, but wtf it says "disinfographic". Just because the word looked cool, because the way its presented (in fact is presented as an infographic) , or because is a joke?

anyway, surely he have a lot of fun trying different approach's to make his music all the past years, too keep the process fun. Surely he can make an awesome album with just plugins, in fact, with just a couple of plugins, but after so many years, and if you have the money, why not buy lot of different toys and try other approach?

What is this I don't even...

I'm sad there isn't a "Army Designed Signal Generator" in there :(

sad lol

I cant see it changing much to be honest, mainly because no gear listed stands out as obvious in its use besides the minipops and even then, it aint even the main beat of the track. but who knows. Honestly base your gear around what your trying to achieve, not on what anyone else is doing imo.

If the dx100 prices rocket ill sell mine for sure though, would totally just upgrade to a better fm synth

I don't think the prices of this gear will permanently change on account of RDJ.

There may be a temporary bump in demand. But I think a year from now prices will look pretty much the same.

(Maybe the handful of rare, obscure and slept-on stuff might appreciate in value, but something like a dx100 probably won't.)

And really, I love gear as much as the next gal, but it was never ever about the gear. It is completely arbitrary, and I think it's silly that the gear list might affect someone's wish list.

It's like, decide what you want to do, and then find the tools to enable you to do it. Gear is beautiful and fun, but it's also an interminable red herring that has led many an earnest musician astray. I've seen some of the best musicians I've ever met lose their productivity and creativity because they became so consumed with nice preamps and analog warmth and tight midi and all of these other things that will seem tragically petty when they one day look back on their creative life...

im only starting to get gear, and this list im afraid, is going to jack the prices up.

Old synths are already expensive. I'd recommend getting a new modular instead.

I don't think the prices of this gear will permanently change on account of RDJ.

There may be a temporary bump in demand. But I think a year from now prices will look pretty much the same.

(Maybe the handful of rare, obscure and slept-on stuff might appreciate in value, but something like a dx100 probably won't.)

And really, I love gear as much as the next gal, but it was never ever about the gear. It is completely arbitrary, and I think it's silly that the gear list might affect someone's wish list.

It's like, decide what you want to do, and then find the tools to enable you to do it. Gear is beautiful and fun, but it's also an interminable red herring that has led many an earnest musician astray. I've seen some of the best musicians I've ever met lose their productivity and creativity because they became so consumed with nice preamps and analog warmth and tight midi and all of these other things that will seem tragically petty when they one day look back on their creative life...

Just imagining all the people who got an SP 303 to be like J Dilla and Madlib

...decide what you want to do, and then find the tools to enable you to do it...

This. I've always had the most success with the topdown approach of working out what I want to do overall (e.g. make a nice album) and then breaking that task down into smaller steps, recursing as necessary. For making music, the first step is now always writing a catchy lead melody for a section of a song, never buying some fancy gear. That's for a much later, and frankly less important, stage. You can apply this approach to pretty much any goal in life.

Equipment lists are insightful and I'm grateful for them. What would be even better would be multitracks like Trent Reznor lets people have, or videos walking people through the creative process. Or ideally, all three. :)

Just imagining all the people who got an SP 303 to be like J Dilla and Madlib

If you're referring to me: I got an SP-303 for $50 right after I got interested in sampling, years before I heard of Dilla or Madlib. And it would make sense to buy a sampler after hearing Dilla or Madlib and deciding that you wanted to make sample-based music. And hell, it would even make sense to buy an SP-303 if you decided that it was a suitable tool for the job.

But if you already owned many capable samplers and then saw Dilla on an SP-303 (which he didn't even use all that much anymore) and then went out and bought one because you thought it might get you closer to his magic...and then maybe you can't find or afford one, and so you feel incomplete, you feel like if only you owned that sampler then you'd finally be able to make the music you always wanted to make...

This really is a semi-serious issue among musicians. I see it in many of my friends (and myself). Some of them haven't made music in years because they don't have the perfect setup, and they say "once I have X I'll be able to make this record." And time just passes and their financial situation doesn't change and all along they had the means of making music, but they were corrupted by this ideal...

Anyway, sorry I'll stop blathering.

Guest Chesney

Not everyone has seen or have access to rare expensive outboard gear like that never mind buy it.

RDJ is a normal person and is probably buying gear from past hype too. Just that he's got money to look at alot higher end gear than us norms. He's going to buy the Calrec/ pultec (etc) stuff because it's all amazing sounding industry standard and everyone raves about it so even he's given in to hype. Same with the reason he'll have gone with the Lexicon PCM70 over the other models because of the legendary presets (tileroom) haha. Maybe.

Makes me wonder what happend to his Synton Srinx, GX1 and Steiner Synthacon etc.

This. I've always had the most success with the topdown approach of working out what I want to do overall (e.g. make a nice album) and then breaking that task down into smaller steps, recursing as necessary. For making music, the first step is now always writing a catchy lead melody for a section of a song, never buying some fancy gear. That's for a much later, and frankly less important, stage. You can apply this approach to pretty much any goal in life.

Equipment lists are insightful and I'm grateful for them. What would be even better would be multitracks like Trent Reznor lets people have, or videos walking people through the creative process. Or ideally, all three. :)

It's really interesting seeing the gear listed and it would be incredible to see the process behind RDJ's tracks but tbh in some ways I like not being influenced by knowing all that stuff.

As for owning classic gear I'd love to have a huge studio full of equipment but its just a hobby for me and I dont really have the space or money for it right now, so instead I make really bad recreations of stuff in Reaktor/Supercollider. Sometimes it ends up really close (SH101), and other things are a nightmare (TB303) but then you end up with something that has a unique sound. Win win!

I've been wanting to see this list for decades!!

I'm glad he's being a lot more open recently, it must be really weird having loads of people talking (and obsessing) about him.

But if he will insist on writing tunes of such calibre...!

Archived