IGNORED

SYRO Artwork Thoughts

Joyrex

We're all now familiar with how SYRO's artwork reflects the costs associated with putting out a record - Richard has even said each releases' info is tailored for that release (e.g.: vinyl version has different data than say the CD version).

But what about the digital versions? the iTunes artwork for SYRO is just a chartreuse circle with "APHEX TWIN" "SYRO" in it (the full release I believe comes with a digital booklet), so unless there is more, the numbers for the digital versions aren't there (do the Bleep downloads have different artwork?).

It's certainly an interesting concept - nice too they included mention of the Caustic Window Kickstarter and the "Making of Windowlicker" video costs, although how that relates to SYRO is yet to be seen.

It will be neat to try and extrapolate the # of pressings and costs once all the versions are out (assuming of course they started off with actual costs and divided by the number of pressings for each format).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I mentioned some of my thoughts in another thread (which one? I don't even remember any more; there're too many to keep track!). I really like the idea--it's the kind of thing that seems distinctively Aphex in that it veers left away from expectations and asks us to think about something different from the standard conception of the art. As he's said in numerous interview outtakes so far, he's curious about the behind the scenes, and I'd imagine that a lot of his fans are, too. That's, after all, why shows like "How It's Made" come into existence. So I think it's really cool how he gets the listener to think about that stuff, by making it front and center as part of the artwork.

Guest progben

I said this on another thread too but I see the artwork as poetic.

In the same way that music essentially codes emotion into sound, the artwork codes the complete story of the album in statistics.

I read a book a couple of years ago called The Pale King, which puts forward the example of truth being hidden in long, jargon-filled small print - (and is hidden there purely because most people won't even bother to read it) - as an analogy for breaking through boredom being the source of true happiness.

For me, this is the essence of what Richard is trying to do with his music and artwork. He's always using mystification tactics and anonymity and I think the reason for this is so that most people ignore him (except for the people that really care and are willing to put in effort to search for this stuff). Syro's musical aesthetic seems to be accessible, listenable and fun - but the truth is in the album cover, that making an album is often a lot more laborious than most people realise.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, always just struck me as a cool comparison.

Love the artwork though.

it's cool that we get 2 see what gear he used and how much effort and money there is in an album release

i am still very confusyro about the album art and that half the album seems 2 be all the unreleased tracks he played live over the years the fans have been longing to hear

i'd also like 2 know what that stencil/taxidermy cover was, i guess we'll find out in time

it's cool that we get 2 see what gear he used and how much effort and money there is in an album release

i am still very confusyro about the album art and that half the album seems 2 be all the unreleased tracks he played live over the years the fans have been longing to hear

i'd also like 2 know what that stencil/taxidermy cover was, i guess we'll find out in time

The Badger shall reveal it's secrets soon, I reckon

star-trek-black-guy-freak-out.gif

So you know in interviews where he says things like "yeah I think I'll just start putting out albums again, I've got a few of them lying around". You know that's bollocks right? Standard Aphex interview misinformation fare I'd say.

Half of it is live tracks because he only made like... 10 tracks in the space of a decade, and he knows some of them are okay because he tested them live.

The artwork is simply to reflect his laziness and lust for currency that he feels goes wasted in packaging his goods.

So you know in interviews where he says things like "yeah I think I'll just start putting out albums again, I've got a few of them lying around". You know that's bollocks right? Standard Aphex interview misinformation fare I'd say.

Half of it is live tracks because he only made like... 10 tracks in the space of a decade, and he knows some of them are okay because he tested them live.

The artwork is simply to reflect his laziness and lust for currency that he feels goes wasted in packaging his goods.

Scary-Sectioned-GIF.gif

See you in 6 years, when he will have released 4 new albums.

star-trek-black-guy-freak-out.gif

Aphex Twin Syro two confirmed. Looks like the badger ties into half life 3 somehow. Hmm... what's up his sleeve I wonder.

Erm, the cynic in me (and I am guessing you as well) would like to think that, but you'd be wrong - times have changed and I would like to think so has Richard to a degree.

Plus, following your logic, wouldn't it be more "lustful" to release even more as that would satiate his desires for more currency?

To be honest I find the Syro artwork a little bit derivative of the art on the back of the Richard Devine's Lipswitch album in terms of the list format and detailing the amount of things going into the product.

You can't read that well from this image, maybe I'll take a higher res snap when I get home, but the lower small text has details of number of lines drawn to make up the front cover design.

Oh, and who did that design? The Designers Republic.

R-1924-1255787730.jpeg

Erm, the cynic in me (and I am guessing you as well) would like to think that, but you'd be wrong - times have changed and I would like to think so has Richard to a degree.

Plus, following your logic, wouldn't it be more "lustful" to release even more as that would satiate his desires for more currency?

I think you're underestimating his enjoyment of leading people down the garden path. Time will tell if he starts putting out material regularly, but I really doubt it. He's a master at keeping up this cult of personality around him, if nothing else. Great marketing ploy, keeps people interested.

The last bit about currency I was just joking, really. I don't think he's lazy really. And as per the above, I think the design is more likely to be a TDR idea first. Fits with their minimalist aesthetic in the last few years.

ballin'

guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Scary-Sectioned-GIF.gif
Lol

I can't see another 5 albums being released either lol. Defiantly a few more bits and bobs (I hope). I think he's probably in an upbeat mood and just shooting the breeze a little, he talks about having thousands of brilliant tracks, the terrible skills of the Kanye West sound enginner, feeling smug and horny etc etc lol

I would take it with some pinches of salt and just chill out and enjoy Syro. I'm not gonna get pent up with MFM desire just yet.

As for the Syro artwork? Not really bothered about it tbh. I dont think it's great or terrible.

Archived